Unhappy Please Help! Affiliates deactivating due to less traffic
    Hi All - About a month ago I took over a campaign. I though it had been mismanaged, as many affiliates had deactivated and revenue is way down. In some months over 50% down from last year. I have reached out to the deactivated affiliates who state they do not want to promote my client because of "low traffic" and "poor performance." To me it sounds like a complete overhaul is needed to the website. And a SEO consultant should be hired.

Commission is fair for the vertical (8%) as is cookie duration (30 days). Average order $120.00. They have a PPC campaign but don't show well in results.

Any suggestions of what else i can do to breath some life into this campaign? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

- Banging my head against the wall.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Once you burn an affiliate it is difficult to get them to come back. I recommend a 50% increase in commission for 30 days or a first sale bonus. If they are not doing well with PPC then change your T&C allowing affiliates to co-bid.

What network are they on?

3. Thanks From:

Low Traffic
    Thanks Chuck.

They are on GAN and PepperJam. I really want this site to turn around, however I worry that my suggestions won't yield results. This campaign is pretty far in the weeds. Even if solid affiliates come back to the program without an increase in traffic, I fear they will shortly leave. My client's site has pretty poor Alexa ratings.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you again.

The best thing you can do is personally contact all previous converting affiliates, survey what they think and get the merchant to implement. If you can get them on the phone you will get more info but that is if they agree to talk with you.

ABW Ambassador
    "low traffic" is one thing, "poor performance" is the key.

I personally wouldn't mind to promote "low traffic" sites or "new" merchants, as long as they convert. I don't promote merchants base on their Alexa ratings. Many of my merchants have very good reatings but don't convert. You need to work on the "poor performance" issue. Check out your competitors's sites and ask yourself: is your product prices competitive enough? is your shopping cart confusing customers?...

You also mention "They have a PPC campaign but don't show well in results". That's also a "performance" issue. Either your site don't convert, or the person in charge of PPC campaign didn't do a good job. In this case, you might want to consider an open PPC policy and let more experienced PPC affiliates to drive sales to your site.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    "low traffic" is one thing, "poor performance" is the key.

I personally wouldn't mind to promote "low traffic" sites or "new" merchants, as long as they convert. I don't promote merchants base on their Alexa ratings. Many of my merchants have very good reatings but don't convert. You need to work on the "poor performance" issue. Check out your competitors's sites and ask yourself: is your product prices competitive enough? is your shopping cart confusing customers?...

You also mention "They have a PPC campaign but don't show well in results". That's also a "performance" issue. Either your site don't convert, or the person in charge of PPC campaign didn't do a good job. In this case, you might want to consider an open PPC policy and let more experienced PPC affiliates to drive sales to your site.

Great points! Affiliates don't make money off your Alexa rank, they make it with your ability to convert their clicks into sales. Follow Chucks advice and Mayfly's. See what the affiliates have to say and see what you can do about improving your conversions. Do you know what the site's conversion rate is?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Klett View Post
    Thanks Chuck.

They are on GAN and PepperJam. I really want this site to turn around, however I worry that my suggestions won't yield results. This campaign is pretty far in the weeds. Even if solid affiliates come back to the program without an increase in traffic, I fear they will shortly leave. My client's site has pretty poor Alexa ratings.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you again.
    I agree with chuck and also would recommend loosening your PPC bidding restrictions (if any).
    You might find that affiliates are better at generating traffic and sales from their PPC campaigns. So it would be a win win for the company to open up it's policy.

I want to add one more thing. I'm personally willing to give a merchant another chance if they reach out. The problem is that sometimes when a program didn't work and it's communicated that it was as a result of a previous AM, the real issue has to do with the merchant and their culture.

I would recommend taking some time to have a heart to heart with the merchant. They need to realize that affiliate marketing is a RELATIOSNHIP between merchant and affiliate.

Restrictive terms (PPC and branding on site), poor communication and behavior implies an adversarial relationship.

So get your ducks in order and be sure what the merchant will accept and then be willing to work with your lost affiliates.

It might not be bad to ask what it would take for them to give you another try.

As an example of a poor policy: Today one of my merchants sent a newsletter that they were lowering the return days from 90 to 30. I'm one who believes that merchants should offer lifetime return days. If it's a true relationship, why shouldn't I benefit for life for sending a customer to the merchant.
    The letter I received made me feel that when the merchant looked back in its history, they found out that the majority of returns occurred past the 30 day time frame.

So now they want to screw me out of my commissions? Of course I may be wrong but why lower the return days if it isn't to avoid paying more commissions? If the majority of sales occur prior to the 30 day time fame, then keep the return days as is.

Something as minor as that may prevent me from being active in their program. I’m disgusted and now have the impression that this merchant doesn’t care about their affiliate relationships.

Thumbs up Low traffic
    This where i get in over my head, the conversion rate for last 30 days according to analytics is 3.03 which i though was ok. However their conversion rate used to be around 5. I appreciate all of the input from everyone! You guys are great

Conversion is 3.03% is average, 5% is good. Highest is 17-18% by Amazon but very very few can achieve that.

Chuck - Some of the other posts thought that the conversion rate may be the reason why performance is suffering. If 3 is average but has fallen from 5 where it was last year, do you believe this could be the reason so many affiliates have left the program?

I though it had been mismanaged, as many affiliates had deactivated and revenue is way down. In some months over 50% down from last year.
    So now you know that conversion is not the main reason. You will get your answers once you personally contact your past producers. Expect it may take some time and don't contact them more than once every other week. Put together a contact manager and track your communication. Your gold mine is your existing relationships.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I have reached out to the deactivated affiliates who state they do not want to promote my client because of "low traffic" and "poor performance."
    Quick question: are these "deactivated" affiliates or "inactive" affiliates?

If they are "inactive" affiliates stating "low traffic" and "poor performance" it may simply mean your site is not popular enough or have the brand recognition that some affiliates require in order to have the level of success THEY want...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

One network is enough
    Thanks Chuck.
    They are on GAN and PepperJam. <snip>
    I suggest you look into which network has produced the majority of your sales in the past and go with that network.

My understanding and belief is that if a merchant is on more than one network, there is an increased possibility / probability of tracking problems. I avoid merchants who are on more than one network

Convergence- They are affiliates who performed well last year and have since deactivated. Overall the traffic is down from where it was, but still a decent conversion rate. Apparently last year their CR was 10%! So it has fallen taken a big hit. Yet the overall earnings are up 10%.

Lanny - Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to go slow and steady, trying to woo back the top performers like Chuck advised. I am relatively new to this and have not taken over a campaign that is so far off track!

Klett, in 2005 I took over a long standing but dormant program in LinkShare. The network send a pivot table of 440 affiliates who had been active, went dormant, or were inactive but prospects. I fired up my contact manager and personally sent out emails starting with a template explaining benefits of the program. Second round I personalized subject line and first paragraph but keeping the original in the body of the email. I did this for many months tripled the program in six months. The bigger the affiliate the longer it took to get them to activate. I also started to accumulate everything I learn at ABW into a spreadsheet to send i.e. category links, promo links, coupons, new products.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread