Nexus Dead in Florida
    Just as an FYI. Bill S1548 which was Florida's attempt at Nexus was recently killed in committee. It is dead, muerto, out-a here! Killed in Budget Committee ("Thems with the gold makes the rules!").

So, Florida affiliates, it is safe for those of you who sat there and did nothing to come out of hiding wherever you are. Breath a sigh of relief. And next time, get into the goddam fight! The "Marines" won't always be there to bail your ass out.

For those who stood to the battle. Congratulations! ooooorah!!! Next time we'll really kick ass and take names!

ABW Ambassador
    That's good, didn't know anything about it. Really nothing here, on the PMA site:
    Florida (No Bill Proposed) http://performancemarketingassociati...tax-the-states

What fight did you fight and where, when?

Six month campaign
    A loose confederation of internet sales and marketing companies and advocates lobbied the Florida state legislators and especially the leadership to educate them as to the economics involved and the enforcement nightmare that they would create as well as the legal challenges that the law would face and probably succeed. Scared the crap out of them.

Florida legislators have a bad habit of passing laws that are not well thought out or properly constructed so as to avoid unintended consequences. On occasion, they see the light as they did in this case. However, as the economy improves, they will get greedy again and the retail association is a formidable and persistant adversary.

To "Trust" - It's All About Stealth
    "Trust" - the fact that you and the PMA were not aware of the Florida nexus bill S1548 was a good thing. The low profile allowed us to keep them engaged without them feeling threatened and by lulling the retail association faction in to a false sense of security.

In the end, the Marine Recon motto took over: "Celer, Silens, Mortalis" (the Swift, the Silent, the Deadly). In politics, like recon, it all about stealth.

Semper fi.

ABW Ambassador
    Your posts just aren't adding up tho. Stay out of it or get in the goddamn fight? So you want affiliates in Florida and the PMA to stay of it, you got this?

Are you talking about this one? - http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/1548

05/07/2011 Senate • Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
    • Died in Budget

Or is it something else more recent than early May? Just find it odd nobody posted about this or knew about it.

Do you have a link to this or something?

Read the posts again
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Your posts just aren't adding up tho. Stay out of it or get in the goddamn fight? So you want affiliates in Florida and the PMA to stay of it, you got this?

Are you talking about this one? - Senate Bill 1548 (2011) - The Florida Senate

05/07/2011 Senate Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
    Died in Budget

Or is it something else more recent than early May? Just find it odd nobody posted about this or knew about it.

Do you have a link to this or something?

"Trust":

The posts do add up. Florida affiliates need to join the fight next time. You always want to have reserves and backup and all the power you can muster when you go into a political showdown. The PMA is another matter altogether which I will not address here. I said that this year it was handled directly by Florida internet business interests without interference from interested parties outside the state like the PMA.

As to the May time period, you are correct. That was when the bill died in Budget. I have not been on ABW since then and when I got on yesterday looking for something else I went to the Florida Tax forum and saw that there was no mention of the current status. So, I posted the FYI just to update the forum.

The fact that you are surprised that nobody posted anything on this or knew about it before I made the post yesterday... well then maybe you are starting to understand my original point. This is not rocket science, it's political science.

ABW Ambassador
    "As to the May time period, you are correct. That was when the bill died in Budget."

Ok, I knew about that one. Thought there was something new. Thanks.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread