Country discrimination
    Some merchants at Shareasale accept only US affiliates. Why?

I contacted them. They explained me that my website is fine (it is written in English and targets US customers), but based on my location, they reject me, because they only accept US citizens / companies.

Very disappointing. They don't even state in their TOS that they only accept US citizens. Is Shareasale fine with this country discrimination?

SAS merchants are not the only ones that do this. I am a Canadian and get rejected at CJ & LS as well due to the fact I am not from the US
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

And what is the reason? They cannot sue non-US affiliates so easily?

It's hard to know what some merchants are thinking and, often, a waste of time to try and figure it out

Typically it doesn't matter much where the affiliate is sitting but where the site sites and where their traffic is from so I agree with you on that.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

5. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Charybdis, with some networks we can disallow countries. Because of spam and fraud over the years many merchants disallow countries in Asia, Eastern Europe, Africa.

If you feel you have a good site to offer try contacting the merchant directly and ask for a consideration.

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    If you feel you have a good site to offer try contacting the merchant directly and ask for a consideration.
    I also experienced this one before and tried to contact the merchant as you suggested but in my case they are firm with their decision. They have not yet lift up the provisions that I violated which is also the location.

Maybe there need to have a new agreement about country differences. There shall be no discrimination.

It is not that black and white hence I stated that you need to contact the merchant directly. There are huge fraud issues in particular from China where international law does nothing to protect the merchant. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent researching and clearing up fraudulent orders. Then have a president of a company threaten to close the affiliate program.

If you feel you have a strong case appeal to the merchant but they have the final right of refusal. You can't force yourself into a partnership! This is business and not civic.

10. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I still find it hilarious that merchants continue to carry out this form of filtering, while the aim is to stop some level of spam / fraud. The reality is that it is a lazy option implemented by a merchant or affiliate manager who would rather block nations than find gems.

There are a mass of very successful affiliates based outside the US who target the US consumer with their sites and content, making a very nice living on modest revenue.

If a merchant wants to be blind to the opportunities then ignore them and move on to merchants that are more open to a "world view"

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; August 18th, 2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

12. Thanks From:

Couldn't agree more Chris and I work with several non-US affiliate who are amazing. I wasn't trying to justify why many merchants exclude just explain it.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread