The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Stick Google Plus Buttons On Your Pages, Or Your Search Traffic Suffers
    Found this article from Forbes

There’s already been some speculation about the impact that “+1″s — Google’s version of Facebook “Likes” — will have on search. For example, we know we’ll be able to see what our friends have publicly recommended when we do searches. But a meeting with Google ad folks earlier this week made me realize that it’s going to be even bigger than that. Google is encouraging web publishers to start adding +1 buttons to their pages, and the message in this meeting was clear, ‘Put a Plus One button on your pages or your search traffic will suffer
    rest of article Stick Google Plus Buttons On Your Pages, Or Your Search Traffic Suffers - Forbes
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Still not rushing out to add it any sites.

IMhO, the majority of folks who sign up for +1 are marketers. I still don't think people will give up Facebook. Facebook they socialize on and they go to the Google to search for things to buy - I don't think the majority of shoppers will bother to +1.

Also, have a feeling someone is going to throw up a big stink about legalities at some point.

I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I agree this flies in the face of the Google natural search for the masses moniker. I am waiting for the first article on "Raise your Google Page Rank with +1" SEO spin.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I would have had more respect if Google negotiated with Facebook to bring the Like button to the search engine rather than reinventing the wheel. Now its a couple of billionaires in a pissing contest. (Wonder what Bill Gates is spending his money on these days?)

The crux of the situation here is a change in behavior. Anyone using google+ is likely to remain logged in when performing searches, in contrast to before Google+ when many people did not remain logged in while searching. Logged in or logged out results are already very different, based on social data, and as google+ becomes more popular the gap between logged out results and logged in results will continue to widen.

Google searches when not logged in are still the same organic searches you are accustomed to.

Google searches when logged in jumble things around depending on the social metrics google+ has on you and your circles. 2nd page results will become first page results if your friends have +1'd them.

So 3 important takeaways:
    1. More people will be logged in while searching going forward, and they'll get personalized search results based on their social networks (+1s are important)
    2. Ads which point to landing pages that have been +1'd will get better placement/exposure
    3. Services providing +1s will quickly dilute the value of +1s from people who aren't in your social circle; +1s from real people who are in the circles of your target audience in Google+ will be valuable

Reference:
    Google+ and its effects on SERPs | SEOmoz Q&A
    How will the +1 button affect my organic search listings? - AdWords Help

@Chuck: Facebook would never expose its like data en masse, and especially not to Google. G knew that so they created their own thing.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    So 3 important takeaways:
    1. More people will be logged in while searching going forward, and they'll get personalized search results based on their social networks (+1s are important)
    2. Ads which point to landing pages that have been +1'd will get better placement/exposure
    3. Services providing +1s will quickly dilute the value of +1s from people who aren't in your social circle; +1s from real people who are in the circles of your target audience in Google+ will be valuable
    ASSUMING more people will be logged and ASSUMING those people are trying to be social by using the Google. I understand that the Google will naturally have a high volume of users because they are simply massive. What I'm doubting is how social those users will be. I still believe that users want to keep things separate. FB for social and the Google for searches...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

10. Thanks From:

I have tried to add +1 button to my sites and by using a process with Google syndication and utilising Feedburner I have a +button (not +1) on a site but this links to a Google page for my site giving an option to have Google as my homepage, so major cock up there it seems.

I have followed a few Youtube tutorials but nothing has worked mainly because the code created by Webmaster is completely different from that shown in the tutorials.

I have avoided using a plug in because of the inherent problems particularly as this is new and plug ins could harbour bugs. However, as I was getting nowhere I relented and on a test site used a plug in Version 1.8.2 created By Jacob Gillespie. It works perfectly but I would like to hear from anyone who has any information on this or any of the other +1 plugins, or recommend a tutorial showing how to install without a plug in that does work.

Many thanks

Originally came here to ask a question since I remembered this thread but not sure if is the right place to ask or not.

First,
    daiarian - am not sure at the moment but think I got the code from the Google webmasters area (or may have done a search while in my Google account) I just put the code they provided (javascript) the ole copy and paste it on a couple of my sites and it seems to be working fine. It shows the lil button then says how many have liked it afterwards. Have used a plugin on my blogs and they seem to show the same. (don't remember at moment which they were but am sure I searched for whichever was highest rated or most popular plugin and chose that one.

Ok, to my question. Maybe I should be backing up and saying the Google+button may not be working quite right. lol Ummm, question is if I just added the button today on one of the sites, how can it already be showing quite a few people having +'d it already??

Because the buttons show to logged in users in the serps whether you have the button on the site or not.

Am sorry bobby131313 am so late in replying back. Thank you very much for answering my question.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread