HP kills TouchPad, may spin off PC business
    "In a dramatic reshuffling, Hewlett-Packard Co. said Thursday that it will discontinue its tablet computer and smartphone products and may sell or spin off its PC division, bowing out of the consumer businesses."

Wow.. Is anybody else as shocked as I am by this news? Article link...
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Super shocked! Of course, I still remember thinking their acquisition of Compaq was not a great idea so it has come full circle. Between this and the G purchase of Motorola quite the week of tech shock stories!!

as a former HP employee during the purchase of Compaq, I'm not surprised, they bought market share but killed off all the departments that did the innovations with the layoffs and outsourcing, plus saddled themselves with so many levels of non-compatible systems (tandem..), that the merger really didn't make any sense.

The key votes that swung the the merger over to Carly's side came from a German bank that was playing both sides.. the recording from that meeting is really telling, (laughing Germans who figured out they were collecting fees from both sides).. there was so much internal junk going on at the time it was amazing (even in my division.. they found that that Canadian number were misreported and it was buried).

Since leaving I've always thought of HP as "Hell's Portal", and the few people I know that are still there have only reinforced that concept.. most want out of there (and I find it really funny that HP is now used as an acronym for Harry Potter)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I lived in an HP town for 8 years and saw them change from the stalwart to the stock based company. I was selling computers and servers when they acquired Compaq. They used to value their scientists and researchers at $1M when that was a big number and wold do what they had to, to keep them. Then they put many of them on contractors taking away job security so they started leaving. They built a fabrication plant in the US but before they completed it they decided to build a new one in Malaysia. Seems they lost their soul about a decade ago.

my HP laptop has been so reliable that I was going to replace (upgrade) it with another HP.

might have to reconsider that plan now.

I thought the HP computers had been really doing well so yeap, came as a gigantic shock to me the other day when I read about it. Dell's stock at least at one point went quite a bit higher lol

This was definitely a shock to me. Like gibson, i was looking to repalce my laptop with another HP. Not now!

I guess their affiliate program will bite the dust now.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Sold out so quickly, I planned to buy a $149 one, but sold out.

SHOCKING!
    My first laptop is HP so somehow I have this thing for them.
    It's sad that they might stop selling pcs.

Release of HP plans last Friday may kill all of HP, not just Consumer products
    I recall reading, a few days ago, that the news release last Friday, about the fact that HP will shutdown or sell the Consumer Products area (with the exception of Printers and supplies for Printers), was so bad, that it may have put the future viability of HP in question.

They are making $ from Consumer products, but the majority of the $ comes from Printers and Printer supplies. The PC division is making $.

When IBM sold their PC division to Lenovo in China, for $1.7B it was losing $.

I hope HP will continue to exist, but the information they released, last Friday, may have set the death of HP in motion.

@Chuck: I was a Contractor, but never at HP. If HP converted "Directs" into Contractors, that probably would not have gone over well, with those converted. Two very different kinds of people. Few Contractors would willingly go "Direct", and I think few "Directs" would want to become Contractors. I know Contractors who were kept onboard, when *lots* of Directs were being laid off. Depends on the skills and experience one has and what the project needs.

On the surface, it's surprising, but when you consider dwindling margins on PCs, HP's failure in the mobile/tablet market, it kind of makes sense.

Their inkjet and ink business will remain strong, and their adventures into software and SaaS/consulting are what I believe to be their goal path now.

Time will tell
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I honestly thought they were doing really well, as it seemed. I was planning on getting one for University, kind of sucks.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Lanny, HP recruited many to Fort Collins and paid for their move. Many like my business partner at the time took the job moving in his case from Micron because of uncertainty in the semi conductor/processor market. Once there they didn't have many opportunities as market shifted and so did HP. That was the late 90's.

Read today that the lowend HP tablet was reduced to $99 and people went nuts for it. Look for the $99 iPad???

The message was really shocking and I did not even get the tablet for $99. I just hope that their laptops are still doing better.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread