I've created a site selling horse saddles and tack and was considering having it promoted through CJ or others upon recommendation. It is maintained through Yahoo Stores and has a built in affiliate tracking system so I could market it myself through targeted emails. On the one hand there's money and on the other there's time. I'm curious as to whether there is a market for western stuff through CJ. I did merchant search and couldn't find anyone else selling saddles (average price $650).

I was also going to make the commission at 6% - I know that's lower than most, but we are quite successfull in selling to customers. On average each customer gives us a $1.60 income and each targeted customer to our top selling item page genereates $7.40 income.

I thought I would bring my site to the people who do the selling and see what you have to say.

-Thanks

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: SaddleGuy ]

Damn it ate my post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I did a quick bit of math, and I reckon I would need 100,000 page views at 5% CTR to generate $50 commission at an EPC of $1, which is just about what you're offering on the average clickthrough.

That puts you pretty much in the lower reaches of affiliate programs, but if you're margins are tight you can only pay what you can afford! If you were on CJ you'd be more attractive as you'd count towards an overall fee from CJ.

I looked up the keyword "saddles" on some PPC engines though, and it looks promising - 34¢ at Overture, 3¢ at Findwhat and 2¢ at Kanoodle.

Also, consider straigh paid-for advertising on some of the more popular equine sites - arm yourself with some ODP cats and Alexa to see who's worth approaching.

This is really turning into a "building site traffic" answer - sorry! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Whooooo.... What formula are you using? Each unique visitor I average $1.60 income - 6% of that would be $.096 for each unique visitor from the affiliate. $50 divided by $.096 would equal 520 unique visitors for the affiliate to earn $50. That is for non targeted click throughs. For targeted it's much better.

I do need to work on my site traffic though. Right now I get about 700-900 unique visitors and sell approx $1100 - $1600 per day. That's only 1 or 2 saddles a day but when the average item is $650+ your number of sales per click through is diminished.

Doh!

I'm using the formula with the decimal point in the wrong place!

OK, use the same formula but multiply EPC by 10 and divide visitors by 10. Coo that looks pretty good!

Moomeister shoots himself in the foot [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Still, I'm working on 5% CTR so that's still 10,000 visitors per page to get $50 commission, which isn't so bad. (In fact that's darned good)

However, if you can make that much PPC is definitely for you too, Overture might be a bit rich, but Findwhat and Kanoodle are coming in at a few cents per click - you'd be daft not to [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi SaddleGuy.

If you do set up an affiliate program let us know. I have several horse related sites, and I don't have any good sponsors for them.

Donna

Donna,

I have my site set up for affiliates. Currently It does not use cookies to track customers but it does keep track of the referring link. What I can do to ensure that the affiliates get paid for thier customers is give the affiliates a coupon code that will save a percentage off the purchase. Anytime a customer uses the code as a coupon - the affiliate will get the credit. You have the choice of getting 6% with no cookies and no coupon (just referring url code) or you can get 5% with a 2% coupon code that your customers can use. I'm working on the 30 day cookie approach (could use some direction on the coding), but I kinda like the coupon - you know every time the customer makes a purchase will use the discount coupon you give them.

Hi SaddleGuy.

I just sent you an email. The coupon could work well for me. I hope.

Donna

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    $9.60 EPC.

Each visitor= .096/click to affiliate. Multiply by 100 (move decimal 2 places to left) to get EPC. $9.60 EPC!

However, with a selling price of $650, it'll take a gajillion visitors before that $39 commission shows up. And it costs an extra percentage point off the commission to get long-term tracking. So that's a gajillion visitors (I'd estimate a CR of about 1/1000, myself, due to price) to get $32.50.

Yet there's a program paying 20% commission at CJ where I can get $20 off from a $100 item (approximate figures, but a real merchant).

THAT converts at 1.9% for me--giving me an EPC of $49.41! (This exceeds the network EPC for this product, although the recent network EPC is pretty high, too.)

How merchants work for me usually does not match the network EPC. Either I'm way above it or way below it. Fortunately, most products are above it! [EPC's just a general guide...basically if it really sucks I believe it, and if it's decent I check further. A $9.60 EPC warrants further checking, so...]

After doing some further checking, it looks like there is most likely potential for me to make some sales on this item. Usually I would say GetOuttaHere to a 5% commission (I would take the coupon) but your item is high-ticket enough to trigger the Exemption.

I would prefer the 30-day cookie to a coupon. I don't like coupons. They lower my commissions by lowering the sale price and sorry, no amount of attempts will convince me I'd "make it up in volume". I've tested, and it doesn't happen.

But if a coupon is the best way to guarantee my tracking code getting in there, I'd do it--at least until the 30-day cookie gets in there!

BTW, if you haven't seen enough of my posts to know, I'd definitely say CJ is the network you should set up at when you decide to go for the Big Kahuna--an affiliate network. As for the others, Performics seems good, BeFree gets cussed way too much by affiliates (merchants there tend to die or close their programs), and LinksNare--well, the way I just spelled that should let you know where you WON'T find me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

There's still a few more things that I will check out before I'd sign up, though. I haven't been to your site, for one... I'm too tired to do it now, though.

BTW: No one else selling saddles at CJ is GOOD (for you)! A monopoly is nice--for the one who holds it...

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

I'm not so sure.... Petsmart.com has an association with statelinetack.com - wondering if affiliates can sell statelinetack items through petsmart?

I have a western related site, and have a tack and saddle section I am working on. I would be interested in your program, if you decide to do one.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread