need help learning to code HTML for affiliate links
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and EXTREMELY new to being an affiliate. So far I'm not at all happy. I used CJ for two weeks and had 5 sales which registered with the affiliate company but did not get commissioned or registered on it. Their customer service was atrocious and they basically didn't know how to handle it. So I dropped them and now joined Linkshare. Only to see it's also got bad reviews, sigh. This is not going well.

The deep linking on CJ's is different from Linkshare and I'm not at all sure how to do this. With CJ's I had to insert an HTML box into my page to generate that link. I tried to do that with Linkshare and it just produces the code itself. Do I put the actual link like I normally would, link it to the page and then insert the HTML coding INSIDE of the link? I have a spot to do that I'm just not sure if that's how it works.

HELP! LOL. I'm getting discouraged already.

Thanks for any help.

Not really sure what you are asking, but I remember back when I used linkshare, having to copy the link code into notepad, then taking if off there and putting it on my site. Otherwise the link would be altered and would'nt work.

This problem usually occurred when using text editor software, like on wordpress.
    And if you use wordpress, of course you have to make sure the 'HTML' tab is clicked.

I'm using Yahoo's Sitebuilder software. With CJ's I had to create an HTML box and insert the link code there for specific pages.

In Linkshare that doesn't look to be the same thing. I'm wondering if I create a link as I usually would and then insert the HTML INSIDE of the link itself instead of create an HTML separate box.

Sorry, I'm not familiar w/Sitebuilder.

All the links I use off of aff. networks are pretty much ready to go. Unless I need to change the wording of the text...

Ibdkitties,

I read your posts but I don't think your problems are being caused by either Commission Junction or Linkshare. Your problem might be due to the Sitebuilder software you are using.

Perhaps you would be better off to go to Cnet for free html editing software.
    Go to download.com.

Also check out the free educational information and tutorials at
    W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quite honestly, and I really don't mean this unkindly, your problems are not due to CJ or Linkshare. It is pretty obvious that you don't understand how to add code to your site properly, which is about as basic as it gets. It would be wise to learn some HTML and to understand the site software you are using, before you try to become an affiliate publisher. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes it looks like your code is not properly tracking so you need to test it. The network affiliate links are redirects from the network server and set a third party cookie on the browser. That means the cookie is set on the visitors browser and if not set the sale is not tracked. When the sale is made the cart looks for the cookie data to credit the affiliate by firing a pixel on the thank you page. If the cookie is not found then the pixel is not set and no commission is record or paid.

The first step is to test the link and see if a click is recorded in the network for that merchant under your account. You can see some of what is going on by using a free tool like Redirect Tracer

Go back to your CJ merchants and test them until you get it working then work on the LinkShare issue which may be different. I am moving this discussion to Newbie FAQ so it can be a guide to others.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread