I am about to start a merchant business and I am at a crossroads of how to proceed with the last step. I wanted to see if I could get some affiliate feedback that would help me in my decision.

In opening this business I have done all of the research. I have decided on my shopping cart program, I have gotten my merchant credit card account, and which affiliate program I am going with. So here is my question(drawn out with details).

My distributor has different types of items all around the same industry. I find the items have different types of markets to sell to. The higher priced items are covered by a lot of business on the internet with about 20 major players and many, many other distributors and "mom and pops" with just a presence. The sub niche products are lower priced and only have about 20 players total without anyone as a dominant major player just the market divided up between all of the players.

Should I open a general site that has all of the products in one web address? Should I open seperate niche sites that are seperate from each other? Should I do both of these at the same time?

I want to know what would be the best arrangements for affiliates and also what do you think would be the best for conversion?

I am going to use marketing promotions like free shipping, coupons, and other things. These are all geared towards rolling out with only affiliate marketing in the beginning.

Thanks,
    Troy

"The grass may be greener on the other side, but it still has to be mowed."

Wow, still no responses after 30 views. I at least expected to see someone who would say something negative or a "go home newbie" post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TroyE:
    Wow, still no responses after 30 views<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Troy - Welcome to ABW

You have asked a whole lot of questions without providing much in the way of details. Many AM's are hesitant to give away too much specific information, especially since you might end up being the competition.

The best answer to your questions is - "It depends". It depends on what you are selling, who your target market is, what the price points are, how much competition, and a ton of other factors. Your best bet would be to find a couple of business owners who have launched sites and discuss it one-on-one, going into the specifics.

There is much to be learned at ABW, most of it focusing on affiliate marketing. If you keep the questions asked to 1 or 2 with a specific focus, you might get a better response.

Good luck with your business!

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Scott,

Thanks for the response. I agree with what you are saying, while I was writing I kept wondering if I was asking too much without enough details. There is at least one competitor on this forum but they are a major player and a certain niche that I would have to choose to pursue. They would be the best person to ask because of the post that they make but...

TroyE,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

As Scott says it really depends ... I'd be more than happy to give you my thoughts with more info and on a confidential basis ... PM or email me your number and a good time to call to (haiko@abestweb.com) and I'd be more than happy to give my $0.02

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread