Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Price Comparison Script
    I am revamping an old Adsense site to cater to more affiliate marketing and can't seem to find the best price comparison script or widget to use for Wordpress.

I'm new to developing these types of sites and don't have much php or coding skills, so don't know which way to go. Ideally, I'd like to have something that pulls in the product feeds automatically and compares them against other stores so the consumer can choose from that list.

Does something like this exist? How difficult is it to set up? I'm all good once I get it in place, just need help getting the ball rolling. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS The site in question is an electronics site, but I have others that are travel sites, so having something that can cover multiple industries is a plus.

I'm sure there are some but I haven't looked at any plugins for Wordpress that do price comparisons. One script that I've seen a lot of affiliates use is Price Tapestry. It's easy to setup, works pretty well, and the license allows you to use it on as many sites as needed.

With a little customization it will do just about anything you need it to do.
    [SIZE="2"][LEFT][B]David Culpepper, SubscriptionAgent.com[/B]
    [URL=http://www.subscriptionagent.com/aff/index.html]Affiliate Program Info[/URL] | E: [email=david@subscriptionagent.com]david@subscriptionagent.com[/email] | [URL=http://twitter.com/dculpepper]Twitter[/URL] | [URL=http://www.facebook.com/DavidCulpepper]Facebook[/URL]
    30% Commission & LIFETIME Cookie![/LEFT][/SIZE]

Price Tapestry is what I use.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I've looked at Price Tapestry. It does look a bit difficult to learn though...burger boy, did it take long for you to get a single site set up?

i'm curious as to how difficult the customization will be if i went with it...do you have to be a php wizard to make it work on your site? and does PT provide all the product feeds from the vendors for you?

It's easy to learn. You have to import each feed from the merchant yourself and then PT will build pages for the feeds for you automatically.

I use Expression Web 4 in my computer to work on the sites and send the feeds to the server where I installed PT.

An example of one of my sites built with PT. It has over a million pages in it.

Best Shopping Center, Best Shopping Mall, Best Shopping Directory
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 26th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    Price Tapestry is what I use.
    So I've long been curious about what leads some to use a PT approach versus (say) a Popshops approach. Is it customization options that allow the send result to seem less redundant to search engines? Is it just the ease of using w/WordPress? Also, do you only do SEO or can you send PPC traffic to such a site and stay in the black (i.e. buying a keyword phrase like "best deal on acme xxyz with free shipping")? Obviously feel free to ignore any of these questions that are too intrusive or difficult to answer....

Thanks

I don't use PPC. I bought it once and can use it on as many sites as I want and I get free updates for the script forever whenever the script is upgraded.

If I need help I can email the programmer that built the script and have an answer from him in 15 minutes or less.

If I want to do something that is not in the script he will tell me what code to add and where to add it to the script for free.

You can customize your meta tags to say whatever you want them to say.

You have no expensive monthly fees to pay.

You can send a feed with 40,000 items in it and it will display the first line in the feed and let you select where you want what to be placed where on the pages and then you tell it to build the pages from the feed and you will have 40,000 new pages on your site in about 2 minutes.

If a merchant changes their feed you just get it again and tell PT to build it again and all of the pages are updated automatically for you.

It builds the category and brands pages for you automatically.

It has a jump script and hides your affiliate links automatically for you and tracks the number of clicks for you.

In general - you are not waiting on someone else - PS, GC - to change the feeds. You can change them yourself anytime you want to.

I download the feed to my computer - send it to the website - tell PT to build the pages - and that is all there is to it.

It uses php and mysql and will even set up the database automatically for you.

I've been using it since 2005.

You can customize it so the sites look the way you want.

He also has a forum and just about any questions you would have has already been answered by him there.

And G seems to like the pages and most, if not all of them, show up in the first or second page of g search results normally.

It even automatically builds a g sitemap for you to submit to g.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; October 15th, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

8. Thanks From:

ok, it's sounding more appealing from what you are saying burger boy.

what about with a site that is older (2006), but has only had about 10 pages in all that time? wouldn't it send up a red flag if all of a sudden i have thousands of product pages go up in just a couple days?

does the site you sent me to bring in good affiliate income from just the product feed pages or only the pages you promote? thanks for your help!

Your first sentence -- do you mean "PPC"?

Thanks so much for the helpful info!

On the fishing example, I checked one category (bamboo) and (as far as I could tell) there were not sorting options (low price // pricing between $x and $y // brands etc.). I will look at the forum to see if that is a limitation of PT or just the way you decided to roll out the site.

Thanks again

Most of the sales are from product pages.

Just think - if you have 10 pages on your site you have 10 chances of your page coming up in the search results on G.

If you have a million pages on your site you have one million chances of coming up in search results and if a customer finds one page on your site - they have found your whole site and all of the products on it.

I submit the g sitemaps made by PT to g all the time with from as many as 10,000 to 100,000 items on them at one time and g will immediately start indexing the pages I submitted with no problems at all from g.

12. Thanks From:

I meant PPC. Pt comes with a sorting option for high price and low prices but I removed it from my sites.

It also has a coupons option built into it but I don't use that option.

burger boy, does PT have an affiliate program? if so, post your link in here and i'll order through it...you've been a big help in the decision process!

where do you get the feeds? is there a site where you can download them based on the vendor? i'm new to this type of marketing...have relationships with amazon, cj, linkshare, etc, just don't know the process...

Quote Originally Posted by brentmitchell View Post
    burger boy, does PT have an affiliate program? if so, post your link in here and i'll order through it...you've been a big help in the decision process!
    They don't have an affiliate program. I wish they did.

Quote Originally Posted by brentmitchell View Post
    where do you get the feeds? is there a site where you can download them based on the vendor? i'm new to this type of marketing...have relationships with amazon, cj, linkshare, etc, just don't know the process...
    You can get free merchant feeds at CJ, ShareASale and Avantlink.

There are probably others but those are the ones I know of that offer the feeds for free.

At CJ - login - click on account - click on services - Click on create product export - and then you'll see what to do.

19. Thanks From:

On Best Shopping Center I make new folders for each category and install PT in each folder and create a database for each folder. It's much easier to keep up with things that way.

If I have a merchant with a really hugh feed I make a new folder just for that merchant.

i'm installing PT on wordpress...would the same thing apply there? anything on the back end is kinda new to me, so would i install in in the root?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Very helpful post BurgerBoy - thank you for sharing your experience (and your websites)...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

23. Thanks From:

I don't use wordpress so I don't know. You should be able to find answers on the PT forum.

I don't understand why you're installing it on wordpress. PT is a stand alone program. You don't need wordpress at all if you're going to install PT.

I would remove wordpress from my site and just install PT as the root for your site.

wp is an awesome set up for me...i transferred one site over about a year ago and boy did i see a change in everything...my search engine traffic went from 10% to 65% and the ease of use was right up my alley!

gonna try PT and see how it works..have 30 days to do some detective work with the wp option, hopefully it will do the trick!

Ahhh... I haven't been to the PT site in a while and didn't realize that they now have a Wordpress plugin. Depending on how well the plugin works, that could be a huge development since so many people use wordpress. I need to check that out.
    [SIZE="2"][LEFT][B]David Culpepper, SubscriptionAgent.com[/B]
    [URL=http://www.subscriptionagent.com/aff/index.html]Affiliate Program Info[/URL] | E: [email=david@subscriptionagent.com]david@subscriptionagent.com[/email] | [URL=http://twitter.com/dculpepper]Twitter[/URL] | [URL=http://www.facebook.com/DavidCulpepper]Facebook[/URL]
    30% Commission & LIFETIME Cookie![/LEFT][/SIZE]

burger boy, you must have a great knowledge of php because pt is mind boggling!! all i've been able to do is upload a feed and that's it...i don't know how to have the comparison prices from different vendors show up on one page or how to edit what is in the feed so my page is seo friendly.

there is a forum, but there is no order to it...you have to search through 35 pages and you come across things that you can't even do because you need to do something else first!

david is great, but he's half way around the world and when he's working, we're sleeping, so it's kinda frustrating.

don't know if i can get this software...if there was some order to how you are supposed to do things, i might be able to swing it...

It builds your metatags automatically and they are SEO friendly.

All you have to do is fill out your config.php page:

Code:
    <?php
      $config_title = "Site or caterory name";

$config_charset = "utf-8";

$config_baseHREF = "/name of folder/";  if no folder it will just be "/"

$config_useRewrite = false;  I don't use rewrite. I get better SE results without rewrite.

$config_useRelated = true;

$config_useTracking = true;

$config_useJavaScript = true;

$config_useInteraction = true;

$config_currencyHTML = "$";

$config_resultsPerPage = how many results you want per page;    This will be a number- 20 or whatever.

$config_databaseServer = "localhost";   Leave this like it is.

$config_databaseUsername = "your database user name";

$config_databasePassword = "your database password";

$config_databaseName = "your database name";

$config_databaseTablePrefix = "";   I leave this empty.
    ?>
    Go to your server and create a database and user name and add your user name to the database.

Put those in the proper fields in the config.php.

You can create your database and user name in your cpanel by clicking on - mysql.

More in a minute.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 27th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.

You will see a feeds folder. Put your feed in the feeds folder.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast