Chocolate dot com Lowers Commission
    Below is the message from Chocolate dot com:

"We have decided to change our commision rate from 10% to 8%. As a merchant with low margins, the goal behind this change is to allow for improved consumer offers, ultimately leading to increased conversions for the overall program. This will be especially important in the upcoming holiday season.

All other details of the program, including the 14 day tracking cookie, remains the same
    ".

My response to the merchant follows:
    It would have been nice to show some goodwill towards your affiliates to increase your return/tracking cookie. Generally most affiliates cringe at cookies/returns days less than 30 days. It leaves an impression that merchants want to do everything possible not to pay affiliates.

I've commented on ABestWeb.com that lifetime cookies should be the norm. Why not reward the affiliate for sending a lifetime customer your way?

I think when you add lowering commissions with a low cookie tracking policy it doesn't leave a good taste in many affiliates mouths.

I understand the tough economic climate you're in but having both a lowered commission and low tracking cookie isn't a good recipe...just my honest opinion.

I also believe that lowering your commission without any other incentive will harm your ability to convert more sales from affiliates, especially as we near the holiday season. Affiliates have many choices to direct their efforts and decisions like these by merchants, drop them to the bottom of the list.

It also annoys many affiliates that decisions like this are made just prior to entering the holiday season. Why didn't you do this 3 months ago? Why are you doing it now?

ABW Ambassador
    No really such thing as lifetime cookies, that's more marketing spiel. You can get 10% - 15% if you go inhouse with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    No really such thing as lifetime cookies, that's more marketing spiel. You can get 10% - 15% if you go inhouse with them.
    I don't really expect lifetime cookies or lifetime returns but it's about principal to me and goodwill.

I have a merchant that I've earned commissions from a group of return customers for at least a year.

I feel motivated to continue to promote the merchant.

I received a respectful reply to my terse email from Bran. He explained the reasoning (in detail) behind the lowering of the commission. He detailed the make-up of the company and he reiterated that they increased their return cookie from 10 to 14 days.

I do appreciate the response and the time taken to reply to my email.

As a general trend I see that the majority of the merchants are lowering the commision... I don't like where this is heading. Not at all. Some are reducing the commision with more than half. How do they expect us to continue with them or living with it? It's not the same if you suddently are expected to gain half as last month.
    [URL=http://www.pexcornel.com]Pexcornel blog[/URL]

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread