A toll-free order line can be a major turn-off to affiliates, especially when it appears that a merchant is trying to use it to divert sales. (I discovered one merchant last week who offers $5 off for phone orders!!!)

I recently ran across a merchant that went out of his way to ensure that affiliates get credit. The merchant is BestDealMagazines.com.

Click through this affiliate link, then look at what appears under their toll free number (bottom of left column):

http://www.qksrv.net/click-238167-1108587

When they get phone orders, they can ask for the affiliate id and manually credit the affiliate. Talk about going above and beyond what is required!

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Actually, IBM was the first and for a while, the only merchant that did this. The list the affiliate code right under the 800 number and tell the surfer to refer to the code. I was skeptical about this when I first seen it, but I tested it about five times, and the reps asked how was I referred, and I told them I was on the website, and then they asked for the referral code. Great setup.

I brought this up to other merchants and they said the "technology" wasnt there, looks to be taking off now although. Glad to see other merchants looking out for their sales team, the affilaite.

If anyone knows how to code this , please let me know. I would like to add this to my site I am taking onto cj soon.

Thanks Much

MYSTICAL CARIBBEAN LOVELEAF - It's Brought Good Health, Good Luck - and LOVE - to Caribbean People For Years!
    http://www.loveleaf.net

I would also like the code please

Bob Rawley
    www.dimout.com

What you probably want to do is set a cookie based on the "PID=" parameter that CJ passes, then display that cookie's value under your phone number.

The code would depend on what your site is written in. It could probably be written as a short JavaScript, too.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

A java script would be fine , but us small merchants aren't that "smart" in writing script.
    for example: I wrote part of the script (below) that will display the ID , but I am having a hard time writing the cookie portion of script. Also since my affiliates determine the specific landing page , would I need to code every page?

It is not that some merchants aren't willing , it is that we do not know how.

<!-- get aff id-->
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"

function QSHandler() {
    var qs = location.search.substr(1).split("&");
    this.data = [];
    for(var i = 0; i < qs.length; i++) this.data[qs[i].split("=")[0]] = qs[i].split("=")[1];

this.QueryString = function(x) {
    return this.data[x];
    };
    } var Request = new QSHandler();
    var SSAID = Request.QueryString("SSAID");
    document.write("Special ID " + SSAID)
    </SCRIPT

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also since my affiliates determine the specific landing page , would I need to code every page?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Only on the page that you display your phone number. But you will have to set a cookie for the SSAID on your site though so your visitors can browse around and still see the SSAID when they come back to the page with the phone number.

I don't know how to do that in Java script coding though. Maybe find some java script guru here and ask them about it.

You would want the code to set a cookie on any page that an affiliate link could land on. You would want the code to display the cookie on any page with your toll free numbers.

For most sites, you'll probably want the code for both parts on every page since affiliates can probably land on any page and your number is probably on every page.

What is "SSAID"? I would think "PID" would be what you would want to capture.

To help make sure you collect the number, you would probably want to identify it as an extension or promo ID. For instance, "1-800-555-1212 x123456" or "1-800-555-1212 / Promo ID 123456".

I commend those merchants wanting to take this extra step to ensure that affiliates get credit!

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is "SSAID"? I would think "PID" would be what you would want to capture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think he is using ShareaSale.com and not CJ.com.

Shareasale uses SSAID while CJ uses the PID for affiliate ID's

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    You would want the code to set a cookie on any page that an affiliate link could land on. You would want the code to display the cookie on any page with your toll free numbers.

For most sites, you'll probably want the code for both parts on every page since affiliates can probably land on any page and your number is probably on every page.

What is "SSAID"? I would think "PID" would be what you would want to capture.

To help make sure you collect the number, you would probably want to identify it as an extension or promo ID. For instance, "1-800-555-1212 x123456" or "1-800-555-1212 / Promo ID 123456".

I commend those merchants wanting to take this extra step to ensure that affiliates get credit!

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSAID is for Shareasale , I figured if I can determine how to get the code for SAS to work , it would be easy to write same for our cj program. This portion will display the affiliate ID , but I can't seem to get a cookie part to work correctly.

Right now I have the phone number on ONLY one page , I don't encourage phone calls except for help. When someone wants to pay over the phone , we ask them to pay on site , explain that it is very secure with verisign , and that by paying on site , they get email confirmations etc. 90% of people will then go back and pay on site , they mostly just worry about the security. We actually wind up with very few orders being processed over the phone.

For the few we do , I then go through my logs to see if there was a referring site I can track down , but this is becoming very cumbersome with the amounts of hits we are getting.

After the new year when I have time again , I will attempt to get script correct and will gladly share it with any interested merchants.

Holiday Cheers to All

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I have implemented 800# tracking on many of my clients programs. www.irvs.com www.executiveessentials.com www.amazingsocks.com
    www.zzounds.com www.chatdollars.com

To see them in action. Go direct to the merchant site, then do a search and find an affiliate link and click through to see the 800# tracking done with a variable header.

They each do it somewhat differently. FYI, how you label the affiliate ID on your site is CRITICAL. I can't help you with the programming, since I don't do that part, but can give you some suggestions about some other issues. Merchants feel free to call if you want to do some brainstorming or want advice.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    &lt;font color="#0000FF"&gt;5 Star Affiliate Programs&lt;/font&gt; :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! &lt;font color="#0000FF"&gt;Click Here!&lt;/font&gt;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catalyst:

They each do it somewhat differently. FYI, how you label the affiliate ID on your site is CRITICAL.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't do any special labeling - simple site - with the cj and sas links. Brian at SAS suggested a "simple" java script , and would try and get an example , but of course everyone talks about the need but a simple script is no where to be found.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread