ABW Ambassador
    AdSense algorithm getting tired?
    As I have been surfing around the web lately I have noticed that there are many more Adsense adgroups (both on my pages and pages belonging to others) defaulting to the Google ads for free credits or promoting creating an Adwords account. I remember the good old days when I would place image ad groups on my pages and they would come to life with nice colourful image ads as if by magic. Now my (and every one's) pages seem to be one big platform for Google to advertise itself. Could it be that there is not enough inventory to fill these spaces? I don't know why but now when I see my ad groups go this route, I am going to start pulling them...
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Banner Blindness - Text ads simply convert better...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I think it more likely that google is tracking your surfing pattern and they know you into web development so their showing you ads based on your surfing pattern then on the content of the site(s)

I have noted if I doing a lot of research into a topic for a few days most of the Google Ads that are displayed are related to the topic.

Just my 2 Cents...........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Banner Blindness - Text ads simply convert better...
    I spent about 6 months tracking Ads & Ad Types in Adsense and my finding are about 50/50 for text/Image Ads
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

5. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I noticed that my Gmail was displaying ads for things I was searching for in the browser. I think Google is doing their own retargeting. When Google TV and Google cell phone takes over the world we will get targeted for their ads. THX1138

Wasn't there a setting at one time for Adsense publishers to be able to opt-out of showing ads based on a user's surfing habits?

https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...ic=20310&hl=en

Now I did not find the opt-out in the new interface, had to go into the old interface...

9. Thanks From:

The end user can, there's even a browser plugin for it, but I don't think the publisher can.

I noticed New Egg is a huge one for this. I go and look at a few things and the next site I go to is showing one of the items. I think it's dumb actually. If I didn't want the thing 30 seconds ago, I don't want it now. They'd have a better chance showing me something similar that I didn't look at.

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I spent about 6 months tracking Ads & Ad Types in Adsense and my finding are about 50/50 for text/Image Ads
    Just for the record I am taking about earnings and not clicks......

12. Thanks From:

This might help with how Google / Gmail works..

Gmail man - YouTube
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 1st, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: inbedded video

CanadianDave I am soooo happy you brought this up. Hubby has been asking me about this for quite some time. Most all of the ads are on one site and site is a bit seasonal I guess so I kept thinking maybe there just weren't enough ads for this time of year so it defaulted to the Google ads.

He kept telling me about it so investigated a bit more. Was thinking what kse said "I think it more likely that google is tracking your surfing pattern and they know you into web development so their showing you ads based on your surfing pattern then on the content of the site(s)"

Hubby doesn't do much on his computer other than log into the different networks to check on sales and stats or check cPanel stats. Other time is devoted to web design, etc. His ads showing are all Google ads. Checked site on my computer and was maybe a third Google ads and rest relevant ads.

Point, tho is our adsense earnings has been way down last several months, too so am assuming others would be maybe seeing the Google ads too?? He's compared the stats to same months from last year and definitely are down.

Is getting really a bit creepy to me with the ads. On Facebook I guess they know I'm either working on my sites or at the networks cos ads I see are most all affiliate related and others relate to my own sites. lol

Least I have a bit of an explanation to tell hubby now.
    Last edited by purplebear; September 1st, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: made a boo boo

Affiliate Manager Bradley.Senkovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    This might help with how Google / Gmail works..

Gmail man - YouTube
    i laughed... then cried remembering how clean and pure Google used to be in the beginning.
    [B]Bradley Senkovich[/B] - Business Development Manager US/UK
    [SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.clickinks.com/AboutUs/AffiliateProgramInfo.aspx"][B]Clickinks.com(US)[/B][/URL] [B]--[/B] [URL="http://www.printerinks.com/AboutUs/AffiliateProgramInfo.aspx"][B]Printerinks.com(UK)[/B][/URL] --[URL="https://darwin.affiliatewindow.com/merchant-profile/3993"][B]PrinterPix.co.uk(UK)[/B][/URL] --E: Bradley.Senkovich(at)Clickinks.com -- [url]http://twitter.com/bradsenkovich[/url]
    'Without tact you can learn nothing...' --Benjamin Disraeli[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    CanadianDave I am soooo happy you brought this up. Hubby has been asking me about this for quite some time. Most all of the ads are on one site and site is a bit seasonal I guess so I kept thinking maybe there just weren't enough ads for this time of year so it defaulted to the Google ads.

He kept telling me about it so investigated a bit more. Was thinking what kse said "I think it more likely that google is tracking your surfing pattern and they know you into web development so their showing you ads based on your surfing pattern then on the content of the site(s)"

Hubby doesn't do much on his computer other than log into the different networks to check on sales and stats or check cPanel stats. Other time is devoted to web design, etc. His ads showing are all Google ads. Checked site on my computer and was maybe a third Google ads and rest relevant ads.

Point, tho is our adsense earnings has been way down last several months, too so am assuming others would be maybe seeing the Google ads too?? He's compared the stats to same months from last year and definitely are down.

Is getting really a bit creepy to me with the ads. On Facebook I guess they know I'm either working on my sites or at the networks cos ads I see are most all affiliate related and others relate to my own sites. lol

Least I have a bit of an explanation to tell hubby now.
    I try to use different browsers for different functions. Always have Opera open on one monitor and FF on the other. Need to get another monitor so I can have yet another browser open. This allows me not to taint search results in the Google and work on things in another. Then about once a month when I change all my passwords I clear all my cookies and start fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    I try to use different browsers for different functions. Always have Opera open on one monitor and FF on the other. Need to get another monitor so I can have yet another browser open. This allows me not to taint search results in the Google and work on things in another. Then about once a month when I change all my passwords I clear all my cookies and start fresh!
    Good advice. I do that regularly (less the change the password part). CCleaner is great for this.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread