Hi all - we're a new merchant who will soon sign up with a few affiliate programs, and were wondering what is required/suggested in terms of artwork. We'd like to make something that's going to help all the affiates out by sending a solid message and being appealing at the same time.

What types and sizes of banners work best? Animated? Graphical?

What kind of text links work best (and what exactly ARE text links - just 1 line of text with a link? more?)

Do we need all this artwork before we begin?

Also - any suggestions/caveats regarding signing up with more than one affiliate at once? What have your experiences been like?

Thanks so much!

Hello Barry,

In regards to your questions:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What types and sizes of banners work best? Animated? Graphical? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Answer: The sizes that we see used more often than most are 120x60, 120x90, 125x125, 120x240, 234x60, 468x60, 250x250 and leader boards 723x90 or 754x90.
    (recommend adding or subtracting 1 pixel from size to thwart Anti-AD programs looking for image size exclusions from loading your promo offers on page. - ie; a 120x60 ad would be 121x61, a 125x125 becomes 126x126, etc.....)

As for animation ... this varies depending on the actual animation & intensity of it. I recommend 'low impact' animation (if used) to not over animate the ad to cause viewer to ignore it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What kind of text links work best (and what exactly ARE text links - just 1 line of text with a link? more?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I myself feel that very short 'catchy' text wording blurb with a 'click for more info' link is better than a long running 'winded' text blurb. Be sure to include highly keyword target words directly referenced to the promo offer for maximum results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do we need all this artwork before we begin? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Absolutely! You want to arm your affiliates with the best tools to create sales .. so you as an affiliate would want the same things present. Be sure to monitor your impression levels versus click thru ratio to know if the ads are effective, or need redesign.

IMHO ... text ads work far better than image ads do any day of the week. Images should be used sparingly and only used to maximize the 'molding' of text words and the image together.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also - any suggestions/caveats regarding signing up with more than one affiliate at once? What have your experiences been like? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is basically up to you. I can only say that because your traffic will be created by affiliates and your intention is to also offer 'affiliate products' in the mix ... I call that a serious traffic leak and would most likely not sign up as an affiliate because of it.

I hope these opinions help you a little.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread