Banner Ads and Landing Pages
    I have an interesting current dilema, and would love to get some feedback.

My site currently has banner advertising slots along with text link spots. Now eventually (cross fingers) I hope to sell these to business when I have so much traffic they can't wait to advertise with me! (girls gotta dream)

In the meantime, I'm using affiliate ads to fill those spaces. Now, I'm getting clicks on these ads, but no conversions yet. I'm trying to go right to offers if I can, but many of these are for businesses not specific ads or products.

Here's where I'm playing with ideas...

1.) Should I try and have these be specific product ads or a specific offer as opposed to a general banner for the merchant?
    2.) If I do try to make them specific, do I have to contact each affiliate manager and have them make me a specific banner? Or can I do my own?
    3.) Do I keep them the default banner, but make my own landing page to hit first in order to pre-sell them on the business before I send them over.

Whatever I do, it will be labor intensive - but I don't mind. I want to do all I can to maximize my potential for conversion - but the slots are baked into the site software so I need to fill them somehow.

I already made a few modifications on the home page of the site to get more specific offers, but hasn't been long enough to see results. I tried one of the SAS custom links with the social network bar just to see what I get. 19 clicks but no conversions yet - which there are a ton of variables as why that could be, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

The bulk of my banner ad slots to be sold someday are around the business directory portion of my site, with the ability for the advertiser to select categories to target - which is a good start. But while I'm using my own affiliate ads here, I need to maximize my changes of making some money - even if this means setting up individual landing pages for every one.

Some perspective - there are 41 individual categories to target an ad to - and there are 2 banner slots and 2 text link slots per page. That's a lot of landing pages to make, if that's the best chance for conversions.

So anyway - does anyone have a thought or opinion to share?

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hiya,

Answering your questions first ::

1.) Should I try and have these be specific product ads or a specific offer as opposed to a general banner for the merchant?

Depends on the page. If the page is generic then there is not a huge benefit in placing a link that is product specific, it will reduce click through due to the narrow relevance. I'd have broad focused links on these pages. Then as the pages get more focused, start to shift the focus to more targeted product specific links / ads.

2.) If I do try to make them specific, do I have to contact each affiliate manager and have them make me a specific banner? Or can I do my own?

Every merchant is different, but you'll need to ask first, I have some that will say "sure go to town!" and I have others that would kill me if we let anyone so much as play with their brand image requiring lots of people to review and approve each creative before it goes live. So play safe and ask first.

3.) Do I keep them the default banner, but make my own landing page to hit first in order to pre-sell them on the business before I send them over.

Depends on the product. If the merchant has a good landing page then use that. if not then it makes sense to have a pre-sell page. Either way it never hurts to have a Pre-Sell page.

In terms of conversion you are seeing, depends on the products, jewelry will convert much slower than clothes, clothes slower than books and so on. 19 clicks is too little traffic to really judge by

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for the feedback. The pages are category pages for a business directory, so very general. I currently did general banners for companies that had products that matched the categories.

I thought it might be the case where different merchants had different requirements, so thanks for confirming that.

Yeah clicks - always the dillema. Trying to figure out how many hits on a page should really trigger a click, how many clicks should trigger a sale, etc...

I don't want to automatically assume I've done something wrong, when the issue could simply be not enough traffic yet to trigger any actions.

Is there a standard formula folks use? For example, in 100 views to the page should I expect 1 click? 5 clicks? And for 100 clicks should I expect 1 sale?

It can be difficult sometimes with the merchants to explain my traffic is just building. I had a merchant just email me they were dropping me for no sales, which I've had before. Some understand when I email them - some don't.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread