ABW Ambassador
    Hello, I have some doubts about what limits major Credit Cards usually have, What would be the maximum price a user can pay online?

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    Unlimited, afaik.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    So why I'm not selling the product at $1500 while the one at $900 perform well ? hehehe

Joseph, could you clarify in your very nice automatic signature who are those "some of your affiliates" , just to avoid misunderstandings.

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    Fer,
    Hehe, I dont know. I don't think average consumers have limits higher than a few thousand (on average), however, some have very very very high or unlimited....

You mean put something to the effect of 'parasites'? Naw.. they are just affiliates like any other. In the merchants eyes, at least...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

quote:
    Originally posted by Fer:
    Hello, I have some doubts about what limits major Credit Cards usually have, What would be the maximum price a user can pay online?
    Fer

The maximum depends on the credit card used by the customer. Credit Cards with a fixed limited allow only charges of the remaining limit for that particular card (example: Card Limit $5000, Balance $2000 , the maximum amount would be $3000). Some Credit Cards do not have a limit or allow do go over the original Limit of the Credit Card. The spending Limit there would be unlimited (in theory).

Most Banks who issue Credit Cards have some security meassures in place (especially the ones who issue no-Limit Credit Cards (like classic AMEX) or Cards which allow the customer to exceed the set credit limit for a limited period of time). The Bank evaluate, if the charge is "unusual" or "risky" and accept it or decline it. Some Banks allow such transaction after a "verbal" authorization, meaning that the bank has to be called and then provides the merchant with an authorization code which allows him to complete the transaction.

But I think your question implies the question, why big orders are much more likely to be reversed because of "invalid Credit Card" than smaller orders.

A lot of merchant do not Charge or Authorize the full Order Amount when the order gets placed. Some merchant do not even check, if the Credit Card is valid at all. They charge the Credit Card, when they fullfill the order.

I believe, that the percentage of fake orders with high order amounts is higher than the one for small amounts. However, I do not believe, that the percentage is as high as the percentage of large commission order reversals.
    It's more likely, that they just cheat you out of the commission by diverting the sale (new order with new valid credit card or check etc.) or because they do not want to pay the commission. I do not have any proof and I do not even know, how to proof it. It's just a gut feeling.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

disregard this post, clicked the wrong button

Fer
    quote:
    So why I'm not selling the product at $1500 while the one at $900 perform well ? hehehe

I find that my products that are over 1k sell as well as the just under 1k products, but that it often takes a few days for them to clear. So, I often see a sale made last week show up in my stats today. I've had a few $1700 sales show up the same day, but those must be people with very high limits who don't require the extra fraud look-see.

AAnn

Hi everyone,

Here's some information for you:

- The typical consumer has access to $12,190 on all credit cards combined. More than half of all people with credit cards are using less than 30% of their total credit card limit. Just over 1 in 8 are using 80% or more of their credit card limit. Source: MyFico.com

- Banks usually decline large charges that are not SWIPED. Online jewlery merchants need special merchant accounts that allow large charges and even then consumers are offered the ability to spread the charge among several CC's.

- Merchants shy away from selling high value items since it usually just attracts thieves.

- Banks have sophisticated "pattern tracking". If a consumer's average charge is $50 and a request for authoriztaion comes in for $1,000 the bank will decline the card. That's where verbal authorization of the cardholder comes into play.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ 365 DAY COOKIE ~ GREAT CONVERSION ~ LOW REVERSAL RATE

Last time I went on vacation (2 yrs ago) I had this happen to me. I took a "road trip" from Seattle, WA to (approximately) Moab, UT, and once I left WA, I had to take my card inside the gas stations (where of course I would have to sign) whenever I stopped for gas (as opposed to swiping at the pump)..

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread