Some newbie questions regarding popshops
    I searched as best I could, checked the popshops FAQ, etc.. but can't figure out what I'm missing. Here's my problem:

I just signed up for a basic account to see if this is something I am truly interested in. What I would like to eventually do is create a site similar to one of the example sites (either something like ChicLass.com or MegaBuzz).

So my first question is: can I get close to something like that with the basic account (even if it's just a few items/merchants) or do I have to have a paid account?

Second, how do I go about creating the site? In the ShopBuilder section I can add products, and then grab the Pop-it-in code, but do I then need to create the rest of the website (for example, do I need to create a header, sidebar, etc... and then the pop-it-in code just fills in the body?). Also, how do I get the different sections to generate, such as on the chiclass website (Shop by Designer, etc..) I just can't figure out if I missing something or just don't have the options available since I have a basic account.

Essentially, from reading the popshop website before signing up, it sounded like I simply needed to supply my affiliate IDs, choose the merchants I wanted, and then everything else would be done 'automatically' and I would have a full functioning website (hosted by myself). For example, if I wanted to create a website offering shoes, I would select a few shoe merchants, pick a few products, and then view my Shop preview. But all I see are those few items that I selected. Where is the rest of the website? If I had 100s or 1000s of items added, how would people search for things, how can I create categories, etc... Another example of what I want to end up with is something like ShopWiki, but I just can't figure out how to get even close.

Do I need to hire an outside company to create my site and then the popshop feed would fill it with products?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I just can't figure out how to create a useful site.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 2nd, 2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: removed links from newbie

Quote Originally Posted by john1r View Post
    Do I need to hire an outside company to create my site and then the popshop feed would fill it with products?
    Popshops only provides the product display for you. You need to purchase a domain, purchase a hosting account and create a website (or have an outside company create one for you) that can be populated with your Popshops (or other) product (data) feed. In addition to these steps, you'll need to apply to affiliate networks as well as individual merchants for the brands/products that you wish to promote.

If you search ABW on the terms shown in bold above, you'll find more information on each of these topics.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Popshops only provides the product display for you. You need to purchase a domain, purchase a hosting account and create a website (or have an outside company create one for you) that can be populated with your Popshops (or other) product (data) feed. In addition to these steps, you'll need to apply to affiliate networks as well as individual merchants for the brands/products that you wish to promote.

If you search ABW on the terms shown in bold above, you'll find more information on each of these topics.

Good luck.

-rematt
    Thanks for the info. I do have a domain (a modified store template that is ready for affiliate links) and hosting ready to go, and am a long-time member of many affiliate programs, but are there any instructions anywhere on how to integrate the popshop feeds into my site? Or do I really need a professional with coding experience to set all this up?

Again, all I can see on the popshops site is how to grab the code that fills in the products I've selected. But I have no idea how to otherwise 'feed' it into my website so that it categorizes everything, etc...

Thanks.

It might depend on how much flexibility your template provides you. Some are very limited.

As for categorizing products, with the free version you'd just have to create individual shops with products from those categories (like your example of different designers).

Since you can only create 4 shops with the Basic (free) account at Popshops, you won't be able to do much.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Quote Originally Posted by john1r View Post
    Again, all I can see on the popshops site is how to grab the code that fills in the products I've selected. But I have no idea how to otherwise 'feed' it into my website so that it categorizes everything, etc...
    All you have to do is copy and past the code where you want it to appear on your web page.

If you want the ability to easily categorize, you will have to upgrade to their Datapack API plan: PopShops.com :: Signup.

You could manually create your own category navigation links with the Enterprise plan, but takes a lot of planning & setup, not easy to maintain depending on what you require. You would have to create individual stores & link to your custom navigation structure.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread