I usually use a redirect link that sets cookies to set affiliate among other things.
    But found a few sites that use pixels instead. I guess the idea is to set cookies with that pixel and then give affiliates the ability to use direct links to the merchandise instead of the special affiliate links.

So the affiliate has that pixel on his sales page and all links to the merchant's site are direct.

Is there an advantage to using this approach over regular affiliate links ?

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

I think this just complicates things. By doing it like this you're using "3rd party cookies" (cookie is setting some different domain then the one in browser window). Unless you have some complicated XML privacy reports (not really sure what) on your server IE6 will block these 3rd paty cookies by default.

Using affiliate links is still the easiest thing I can think of. I doubt affiliates will know how/want to create and install all those reports for IE6...

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

c4, I don't think you need the full privacy policy, just the compact one returned with the response of the pixel itself.
    My server does return a good CPP string, so I never had problems with IE6 (at least not that I know of).

You think there would still be problems?

added:

Besides, I think cookies are considered to be third-party only when a host that tries to set them specifies a different host for the cookie.
    That would not be the case with the pixels, since they would be loaded from the same host as the rest of my site.

What do you think ?

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

[This message was edited by bcc on July 26, 2003 at 06:01 PM.]

Yes, you need the compact privacy policy returned (didn't remember what exactly before), but still most affiliates don't have/use it.

Cookies are (according to M$) considered 3rd party if they are set from a different domain (in a frame, pixel, ...) then the "main" domain in browser window.

A quote from http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q299331

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When you use services from Web site "A" by using a frameset (or portal) on Web site "B", cookies that Web site A tries to set may be blocked at the default medium privacy level. In the preceding example, Web site A is in the third-party context. The medium privacy setting blocks third-party cookies that do not have a compact policy (a condensed computer-readable privacy statement) or third-party cookies that have a compact policy that specifies that personally identifiable information is used without your implicit consent.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've read quite some articels on this issue when IE6 came out, but can't find them now...

Basically it comes down to this: Cookies set with a pixel from a different domain (or in a frame with src set to a different domain etc.) ARE considered 3rd party and you need a compact private policy in order for IE6 to accept them (I was wrong before, YOU (your server) need it, not the affiliates ... what was I thinking ). So if your affiliates put your pixel on their site the cookie set is considered a 3rd party one.

If your server returns a good CPP string I guess you could make it work, but you wouldn't be able to track which links (banners) are performing well and which not. You also wouldn't be able to count clicks and I don't think affiliates would like that (if you would count clicks you would use a redirection script - this script could also set a cookie so why bother with the pixel then?).

I think the standard way of doing it is still the easiest way. If there was an easier way I am sure networks would use it.

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

I'm using redirect links. But was considering adding the pixel as well, just as an option for the affiliates.

I guess it's not worth it then.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    i know this is an old thread - but i had to put in my 2 cents ... basically it is a real bad idea which opens up the possibility for fraud ... PM me if you need more details about why - i don't like to post ideas cause they get in the wrong hands.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

Hey Guys,

This thread is even older now, but I have a related question.

I have not had a chance to talk to my coder on this yet, but I was told our affiliate tracking was done through IP tracking. Any time a visitor comes in trough an affiliate link, the IP is registered to the affiliate, therefore any time the customer comes back, no matter how they get there using the same computer, if they buy, the affiliate gets credit.

I was told this is all done at the server level. To me this seems to best assure the affiliate gets credit.

Does anyone have any coments?

Do It,

Mike
    Easy To Build and Manage Websites Affiliate Program

Hello Doitsites,

IP tracking is reliable if you want to pay affiliates only if the visitor they send purchases something the first time he/she visits your site.

The thing is that most (99%) of internet users have a "dynamical IP", not a static one. This means their IP number is different everytime they connect to the internet, their ISP assings them a different IP each time. So your computer has a different IP everytime you connect to the internet. IP tracking should in NO WAY be used for reliable affiliate tracking over periods longer then current session.

Tell your programmer to use cookies instead - write the affiliate ID in a cookie and extract the affiliate ID once the sale has been made. Sure, cookies can be deleted and overwritten, but they ARE the most reliable way.

To conclude:
    if you use IP tracking - STOP. Your sales won't be (properly) tracked unless visitors buy something right after they click the affiliate link. Use cookies.
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

c4,

Thanks for your input, I will be looking into further after the weekend.

I looked at your program and it looks intresting.

Whatever the case I realise the importance of accurate tracking.

Thanks for the help.

Do it,

Mike
    Fare Affiliate Program with good payout

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread