Newbie really needs some advice :)
    Hi everyone,

Im very new to the world of affiliate marketing. I was previously in the banking industry and have been out of the work force for about 3 years now. I'm a mother of 2 and have been in search of "real" work from home opps. It looks like I've finally stumbled across the right path. My family and I have been through the wringer financially, to say the least, and I believe its time to take a different direction. From everything I have read so far, it seems like this business is definitely legit, honest and ethical and its something I can do from home while giving the kids the time that they need as well. I'm really excited to learn and get started.
    The problem is, I dont know where to start. I'd prefer not to create my own site just yet (although I do have a ton of ideas) and would prefer to be an affiliate marketer of products instead.
    I believe I have a talent for analyzing different markets and what consumers would want.
    I would be grateful if someone with prior success and experience could give me some guidance. Thanks again for reading this and I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forum.

Socalgirl,

Affiliate marketers usually promote the products of merchants (found on networks) on their own sites. Whether you set up a site and/or blog (or combination of the two) is your decision.
    At the very least you usually need:
    • Your own domain name
    • Hosting to host your site
    • Knowledge of HTML
    • Some experience with Illustrator or Photoshop would help
    • There are "free" programs (for art & illustrating purposes) available like the Gimp
    • The ability to program code can be important

Please read more in the Newbie Faqs and best of luck to you.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If you use wordpress as your means of building a site, you really don't need much HTML knowledge, and while Illustrator and Photoshop are nice, they are not really necessary to get you started.

Domain - approx $10
    Hosting - $5 and up per month
    Wordpress - Free
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hello and welcome to ABestWeb! Here is a great article that can help you get started with a blog: It’s Not Brain Science- Build a Niche Affiliate Site GeekArm Web Marketing Blog

Thanks everyone for your advice. Are their any courses or classes I can take in this field?

Quote Originally Posted by socalgirl View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice. Are their any courses or classes I can take in this field?
    Check out the course listings at a community college near you
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You can also get free excellent tutorials here online:
    W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by socalgirl View Post
    I wouldn't bother with any local courses as they are unlikely to have the level of expertise you require.

Rhia7 has a suggestion worth following and I really believe you will benefit more by viewing a few of these sites, but the greatest benefit will be from you setting up a free WP site and just practice and practice, you can cause no damage and will learn a hell of a lot just from your mistakes.

When you are stuck just ask here or get on to Youtube, it is all there. You will soon be ready to get a hosted site and you will be up and running before you know it.

My very best wishes to you.

Smile
    Daiarian, what's wrong with local community college courses?
    Often they offer courses at various levels such as :beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Enroll in what's right for you
    I've learned about Photoshop and Illustrator at a local community college where I've also taken introductory computer courses.
    Some people learn best under an instructor, it doesn't hurt to check your local community college listings; some municipalities also offer continuing education classes.

Here are some additional resources to learn from:
    .net magazine | The world's best-selling magazine for web designers and developers since 1994

Smashing Magazine
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

10. Thanks From:

I have to agree with Rhia... while many of us have learned "online", there are some real skills that can be learned offline.

How else is a novice supposed to learn HTML, imaging.. and some basic website design techniques? You can certainly have someone else install Wordpress on a domain for you, then play around with it, but not everyone enjoys learning this way. The level of expertise required for affiliate marketing includes website hosting, development, marketing, content-writing, database management.. and the list goes on. You have to pick a (structured) starting point, otherwise it's easy to get completely lost and give up.

A few months ago I took a creative food-writing course (to help with a gourmet project), and learned writing techniques that I never would have figured out on my own. Imagine if someone took a course about Wordpress..

Socalgirl,

Web development is an interesting pursuit and it's worthwhile
    However, I do not know of anyone who has made his or her first million in the
    first month.

Glitches can happen. Someone installed Wordpress for me but then I picked a theme that was bad for SEO because the author of the theme had coded too many outbound external links into the theme. I started to fiddle with it and my WordPress installation and ended up corrupting it.
    So who should I run to? My original acquaintance/programmer who was nice enough to install it?
    No, I sent support requests to my host.
    Things like this can happen when one fiddles around

I received instructions in an email from my host but I didn't act on those instructions yet.
    Why? Because I've read articles on the importance of the "cross pollination" benefits of a blog (WordPress) and a corresponding site.
    I've also read many articles about the importance of mobile friendly sites.
    I've decided that I want to totally redesign my sites.
    This type of thing happens.

There is not one proven method or route; there's lots of experimentation.

You might want to look into another way of supporting your family as you learn #justsaying
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread