CJ Spam
    I got this spam to an address ONLY used for my CJ account, sent from Azerbaijan. Either someone in CJ is selling lists on, or some merchant is leaking affiliate details. Either way, it is not good enough.

Date: 6 September 2011 18:45
    Subject: [Info] Your Target Audience

Hi,

We are a list compiler and a dominant player in the Business List Industry with over 40 Million B2B contacts and 200 Million B2C contacts. We have all varieties of business records that come with complete contact details including working business email addresses.

Job Title Scope: Reach top-level executives like CEOs, CFOs, CTOs, COOs, CIOs, Presidents, Chairman's, GMs, Mid level Managers, Sales and Marketing Managers, HR, Managers, Finance Managers.

Details Included: Company Name, Contact Name, Title, Address, Web Site, Phone Number, Fax Number, Verified Email Address, Employee Size, Revenue size, SIC Code, Industry Type, NAICS Code, Email verification result.

We can provide you any kind of business lists that you might be looking for, based on your targeted demographics. Below are some of the pre-package lists which we deal in:

Top List with Emails:

Aviation, Aerospace & Defense industry list Real Estate industry list

IT Decision Makers List Transport & Logistics Industry

Chemical industry list Financial, Mortgage & Banking Industry list

Software Technology Lists Software Application users & Decision makers

Health Care industry list Manufacturing industry list

Hospitality & Clinical related lists Automotive & Automobile industry

Metals & Mining industry list Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology industry list

Electronics industry list Publishing and Printing Industry List

Sales & Marketing Executives list Electronics industry list

Computer Software & Hardware Retail industry list

Oil & Gas industry list Electric Energy & Utility industry list

Telecommunication industry list Financial Executives List

ERP Users list HR Executives List

Let us know your target criteria (any sector), we can help you in reaching out them. Reply to this mail now and get a sample of the target audience you wish to reach.

Feel free to email me for any further information.

Kind Regards,

Cindy Watson
    Executive Assistant
    (302) 514-xxxx

We respect your privacy. If you want to stop receiving emails from us, please send a reply with the email subject line as "Leave out".
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
    I got this spam to an address ONLY used for my CJ account, sent from Azerbaijan. Either someone in CJ is selling lists on, or some merchant is leaking affiliate details. Either way, it is not good enough.
    How simple is your email address? Do you use a period, ie: cj.com@mail-provider.com? Been our experience that this alone will decrease, if not stop, most email generators from sending you out spam.

We are a list compiler and a dominant player in the Business List Industry with over 40 Million B2B contacts and 200 Million B2C contacts. We have all varieties of business records that come with complete contact details including working business email addresses.

We respect your privacy. If you want to stop receiving emails from us, please send a reply with the email subject line as "Leave out".
    Of course by replying with your email address, you've just sold it to the next group...

They sound like spammers, to me...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

And another one.. something definitely leaking somewhere:

Dear Beneficiary,

We wish to congratulate and inform you that after thorough review of all unclaimed funds, contract, inheritance or lottery funds, your payment file has finally been forwarded to us for review and immediate payment of your long delayed funds starting with a first compensation transfer of US$2,500,000.00 to your bank account in your country.

The Audit reports show that you have been going through hard times by paying a lot of money to dubious officials for the release of your funds.
    We therefore advice that you stop further communication with any correspondence outside this office because you do not have to pay any money or fee to receive your funds.
    Your US$2,500,000.00 will be credited to your bank account within 3 working days and transfer copies will be forwarded to you and your bankers for confirmation.
    For the immediate payment of your US$2,500,000.00,kindly contact today by email, our Payment Coordinator in the United Kingdom.

Name: Mrs.Helen Tony
    #3 W.hall Crt, London SW1A2EL, United Kingdom.
    Tel:+447614038116 Ext 12.
    E-mail:mrheretonyucc@yahoo.co.jp

All correspondences to Mrs.Helen Tony by email should have this Reference Number: (UNRC/25-20CH) sent along with your Contact Address and Telephone number.

Yours faithfully,
    Mrs.Schurtenberger Rex
    United Nations Compensation Commission Unit.
    Palais des Nations, Av. de la Paix 8-14,
    1211 Geneva 10,Switzerland.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

We are also receiving a lot of scam emails.

Could it be some of the Merchants u have signed up with and not CJ?

No one has to leak your email for you to get spam. Spammers have random address generators and send them out by the billions. They don't care about bounces because they spoof the from field.

7. Thanks From:

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    No one has to leak your email for you to get spam. Spammers have random address generators and send them out by the billions. They don't care about bounces because they spoof the from field.
    In general, I agree with you about the potential "use of random address" thing.

HOWEVER... After years of no unrelated emails at all, I not too long ago started getting SPAM email to multiple addresses created specifically for and registered only with CJ. So I'd assume that someone within the CJ spectrum (merchant) could be extracting addresses and abusing them.

It is less likely to be a random act if multiple addresses that never had an email from anyone but CJ type business start getting spammed at approx the same time. Also, if too many of us are seeing it start at the same time, that cuts away on the statistical randomness as well.

One of my spammed addresses is even an automation address that has never been subscribed to receive anything but the "merchant going online/offline" type emails, which is received and interpreted by a robot of mine. Suddenly, the robot reported receiving "normal" email (spam) as well and I had to teach it how to better handle random spam.

I'm not certain how CJ shares affiliate's email addresses behind the scenes. The most likely explanation is that a merchant has been compromised, simply because there are so many of them.

To be fair to CJ, this is not the only time I have seen it happen.. even other affiliate networks such as Tradedoubler have had the same problem.

Here's another recent one:

Hello

I am interested in purchasing some of your products, I will like to know if you can ship directly to BRAZIL , I also want you to know that my mode of payment for this order is via Credit Card Visa and Master. Get back to me if you can ship to that destination and also if you accept the payment type Indicated.Kindly return this email with your price list of your products..I
    await your quick response.

Kind Regards.
    Derrick Williams supply
    Address:Address: 1130 Dreamland Street,
    45987 Moema BRAZIL
    Tel:+ 55 77 5433-9388
    Email:derrick.williams0007@gmail.com

The spam is a bit sporadic. I'm guessing it's just a random harvesting of the email address rather than something more specific.

Unhappy
    Well, it went quiet for a WHOLE YEAR and now the spam has started again, in the past week I've had:

In Search of Next of Kin.
    Re: Delivery of Your ATM (VISA) Card
    Dear Friend
    Kindly Read Carefully..
    PAYMENT FROM UNITED NATIONS.
    UNITED NATIONS APPROVED PAYMENT ORDER

It's all very low-grade and untargeted stuff (419 scams) so it is easily filtered out. But given the year-long gap, I assume that some merchant somewhere has a leak.

The only fix I can think off is for CJ to stop handing out our signup addresses and use a tracking email system instead.

The concern I have is not this low-level stuff, but if someone actually crafts a well-targeted CJ phish page..

Cool
    looks like the Nigerian scammers are trading email CDs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    looks like the Nigerian scammers are trading email CDs again.
    It seems to go in waves. I think if the email address isn't "fresh" then it gets deleted from the spam lists. Then it leaks out again and there's another flurry of activity.

I had the same thing a few years ago with my TradeDoubler email address, but those stopped permanently in the end..

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread