Hey all,

First off, another thanks is due to the fabulous information on this site. It's always educational coming here...

Now my question: I've seen several affiliate programs that post their Top 10 Affiliates' earnings each month. What is people's opinion's on this? Does it have a negative or positive effect on the program? At what threshold does it make sense to begin reporting?

Thanks in advance!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I think it's a great idea - as long as you don't post the affiliate or the affiliate's url. Too many copyiers lurking about, and all.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I find it helpful. It gives some indication of the potential of the program. If several in the top 10 are making $1000's per month, it speaks well for the program. It shows that it CAN be promoted well.

Conversion ratio of the top 10 earners is another good stat.

Oh, and I definitely agree that DETAILS (like name or URL) about the top affiliates should NEVER be disclosed. That's a good way to run off your top performers.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you both for the excellent feedback.

I agree that no affiliate name or URL should be disclosed. Unwise business move.

Any other useful tips you'd recommend for motivating affiliates? Special offers seem to work well.

I was a big supporter of frequent communication, however it seems that most my affiliates do not want to be contacted more than once per month.

Thoughts?

Myself, I prefer to be contacted only when there's something I should know about--a new coupon, changes to the program, a bonus offer, or whatever. Weekly or even monthly communication just for the sake of communicating is a waste of time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Interesting perspective. That seems to be the general impression I've been getting. Any one else have other thoughts?

ABW Ambassador
    Just post the earnings and nothing elses.
    Do not post the affiliate's name, url or even abw screen name as it will not be appreciated.

Never post what your productive affiliates were promoting as all the copy cats will join on the bandwagon and these affiliates who sniffed out the demand will be really fed up.. and probably promote your competitor instead.

Happened once when a merchant posted top 10 products, 7 of which were inter-related and which I was promoting heavily, sales vanished. I got really mad. Went and joined the competition and promoted them instead.

"Communicating" when you really have nothing new to say is one way to ensure that further "communications" will be deleted unread.

Consider that most active affiliates have several hundred merchants. How many "communications" do you think we want to get from each of them? If they each contacted us weekly, that would be 1200 a month to an affiliate who only has 300 merchants.
    Of course, they would be deleted unread.

Do you think an affiliate with only 300 merchants will read 43 emails a day from merchants, much less act on any suggestions in those emails? I don't think it is likely.

Have a good data feed and let it be known. If you want it to be distributed on an as requested and approved basis, let that be known.

Create an affiliates only page where coupons and special deals can be picked up when the affiliate is ready to go get them. Let it be known how often they change so that those who wish can put that on their normal schedule of activities.

When you do contact an affiliate, put the jist of your message in the title of the email. "Mr. Goodmerchant has a new coupon!"

Keep your product line as stable as you possibly can and redirect out of date buy pages to the category pages. Leave all images up so that affiliates don't have broken images on their sites.

You need to find another way to stand out from the crowd of merchants. Participating here is a good start.

I hope that helps. Good Luck on your program!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

SSnaf, thank you for the excellent reply. I've learned at least 3-4 great techniques from your response that I will implement immediately.

This is why I love this site!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread