Google acquires Zagat
    Google to Buy Zagat

Official Google Blog: Google just got ZAGAT Rated!

Another step into the content/editorial arena.

Is there anything left for publishers?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    <sarcasm>Hmmm. Soon the only content the Google will need to index is their own properties. The rest of us will have to survive off buying ads...</sarcasm>
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Jealous haterz.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Jealous haterz
    Is that response a joke?

It hasn't been an easy time for affiliate marketers - datafeed sites, couponers, and content sites have all suffered. When search engines step further into the content arena, it concerns me. The window of opportunity becomes even smaller for affiliates.

I have no idea what you mean by "jealous" - this is business, not grade 5.

this is business, not grade 5
    My point exactly
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

Now that's just insulting... and a pointless response.

Affiliate marketing is a business for some of us, and this forum is a place to discuss timely industry issues.

ABW Ambassador
    Well with this, it's not like somebody here owns a Zagat type site. If they did, I'm sure they would love Google buying them up. Most affiliates, according to a poll here (surprised me) are fine with letting Google all into their business by putting a competitor's tracking code on their sites. Never will understand that. But for affiliates, think of something Google wouldn't get into, niches and such. If they really wanted too and went all out, commercials, updates in their products etc and really got into coupons, rebates, travel etc. while maybe not wiping out some of the top sites, would wipe out a lot or take a big cut in their business. They're not going to be getting into Strawberry Shortcake ashtrays from the 1960's or anything like that.

You make some good points, Trust...

Affiliate businesses come in all shapes and sizes, but I see the review model falling by the wayside for some niches. I'm assuming this purchase had more to do with the Yelp issue than anything else, but it's getting tougher to get ranked these days.

I do have a food-related site, which is why I started this thread - it's not a Zagat (!), but reader participation & user-generated content were goals. I will have to re-think my approach. New ideas aren't difficult to come by, but it takes time & development dollars to implement them.

ps. I would love to see a site dedicated to strawberry shortcake ashtrays from the 1960s.. I'm guessing SuperCool has one already!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Now that's just insulting... and a pointless response.

Affiliate marketing is a business for some of us, and this forum is a place to discuss timely industry issues.
    Just davidh's way of a "tongue in check", I don't think he meant to be insulting.

I think the first sentence of the NY Times article states the reason Google made the purchase:
    Google has agreed to buy Zagat, the guide to restaurants around the country, in an effort by the search giant to expand its local offerings.
    Google is doing everything they can to get into social, local, daily deals. I see it as they will tie in the restaurant reviews then to mobile, social and daily deals. The next step is using your iPhone to find a 3 star restaurant with a 2 for 1 and booking a table in the cab ride over there. Can you imagine being in NYC or LA for a conference and having a table waiting for you at a top restaurant within 5 minutes of looking it up. I can tell that we walked 10 blocks in Manhattan looking at an iPhone for a cool but affordable restaurant during ASE11. We made a big circle and found a place one block from the Hilton an hour later. While we were walking a guy with an iPhone came up to us and asked directions to Victoria Secrets which was across the street. How much is it worth to a restaurant to book every table on an off night because they ran a local ad through Google?

Not to downplay Google acquiring more content, just think their motives are different.

10. Thanks From:

If the way Google does things is a matter of concern, there's 3 things you can do about it:

1) Compete head-to-head with Google, if you can.

2) Do or be something that Google can't compete with.

or

3) Give up.

12. Thanks From:

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Some interesting commentary I read this morning on this ... No Good Can Come From Google's Acquisition Of Zagat
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

14. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez View Post
    Some interesting commentary I read this morning on this ... No Good Can Come From Google's Acquisition Of Zagat
    Thought it was a good read. Thanks for sharing...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Agree, was very interesting article.

Hmm, wonders if is just a coincidence?? Other day logging into my Google account was prompted by them to give them my mobile phone number (yes, I am a dinosaur lol don't have one yet) Later hubby logged into his and same thing.

Wonders if by asking for the number they'll have an awful lot of Google accounts they'll be able to automatically have for all the things they have in mind. Pretty soon there won't be anything at all about you they don't know.

Am not badmouthing them davidh. They've done a great job at what they do just not sure they're not doing a lil too many things at this point and maybe wanting to know a lil bit too much about people. If I use their services don't really think they need to know my phone number (cell number if I had one, guess they don't care about my regular phone number or more likely scenario they already know it)

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    Hmm, wonders if is just a coincidence?? Other day logging into my Google account was prompted by them to give them my mobile phone number (yes, I am a dinosaur lol don't have one yet) Later hubby logged into his and same thing.

Wonders if by asking for the number they'll have an awful lot of Google accounts they'll be able to automatically have for all the things they have in mind. Pretty soon there won't be anything at all about you they don't know.
    Google asks me for my phone number nearly every day. I refuse to relent. I don't have a gmail account either. G already knows too much about me with the services that I must use, but I divulge as little as possible.

X

hmmm, hope they're not gonna be asking me every day lol Don't have a cell phone so couldn't give it to them anyway but if I did...wouldn't give it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    hmmm, hope they're not gonna be asking me every day lol Don't have a cell phone so couldn't give it to them anyway but if I did...wouldn't give it to them.
    Google asks me for my cellphone # [I don't have one] fairly often but not everyday -- the same with Facebook
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here's an interesting article from PCWorld Business Center:
    What to Expect from Google and Zagat | PCWorld Business Center

But, as Zagat content is interwoven with Google Search, Google Maps, and other services, it will take the service to a whole new level of social interaction. Searching for a restaurant or hotel on Google will take on new meaning when the results come complete with Zagat ratings, and when the results are integrated with +1s and Google+ so that you can get more personal results based on the reviews and comments of your own social network.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Just found this article from FAST COMPANY:
    With Zagat Purchase Google Gets A Massive Foothold In Mobile Market | Fast Company

An analysis of the Zagat deal by Abrams Research notes that Google will have a plethora of interesting options when it comes to dealing with Zagat's highly curated review model and in working with the endless amounts of raw data that arrive at Zagat's Columbus Circle-area offices. Among other things, Google will have to choose between treating their reviews as a turn-key solution for their Maps and Local services and whether to apply their own algorithms to that motherlode of Zagat raw data.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread