Thread: No response to email about datafeed

No response to email about datafeed
    Hi, BettyMills folks. I sent email to you via the contact form on your affiliates' page, and never got any response. I sent the email Sept. 1. I thought perhaps your response time would be slow because of the Labor Day holidays here in the U.S.

But I just re-read my email and it occurs to me that I never asked a specific question, nor did I ask for a specific reply.

So, in the interest of sharing knowledge with all the folks here at ABW using your datafeed -- and/or gaining knowledge FROM all those people -- I thought I would ask for your comments on my questions/problems here.

I have a site that focuses on sheds, shelving, and other storage-related products. So I am very interested in using parts of the datafeed related to such products.

But you've got a real (at least I see it as VERY REAL) inconsistency between your datafeed and your affiliate that sort of misled me and makes my use of the datafeed frustrating, if not actually harder than it needs to be.

On your affiliates web page, you have some very prominent "hype" for the datafeed that includes this line of text:

"Betty Mills offers over 100,000 brand named products from 6 Blockbuster Categories."

Below that line of copy, you have text links to each of those "6 Blockbuster Categories."

One of those categories is "Sheds and Outdoor."

I foolishly assumed, when looking at the datafeed fields labeled "Super-Category" and "Sub-Category" I would find a bucket load of products with either the "Super-Category" or the "Sub-Category" saying "Sheds and Outdoors." I would expect that field to have all the wonderful products that "Sheds and Outdoor" link on the affiliate page goes to.

But, alas, I've searched through the datafeed and NOT found any of the "6 Blockbuster Categories" you feature so prominently on the affiliates' page where you're hyping the "Monster Datafeed."

As I said in the email I sent via your contact page:

"It would occur to me, if I were going to list "6 Blockbuster Categories" on my affiliate site that it would be obvious under the datafeed field "SUPER- CATEGORY" to have those "6 Blockbuster Categories"? Or is that just me??"

Anyway, there may well be something stupidly obvious about using the Monster Datafeed that I'm completely overlooking.

And my apologies if this seems like sarcasm or a "rant" or anything. I did not intend that.

I truly would like a useful, quick way of separating out the "Sheds and Outdoor" products as well as a couple of others listed in your "6 Blockbuster Categories" listed on the affiliates' page.

(And, no, I don't want to use GoldenCan or PopShops or Cusimano's script. I have a script to handle the data, thank you. I just want a good, quick, practical way to grab the data/fields I need from the feed.)

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Gotta bump this one. Is no one from BettyMills around this forum during the day?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

maybe a new post is in order? "no response to ABW thread about no response to email about datafeed"

Gary, you must not be looking at the right field. it's gotta be there. did you look for one called "category"? that should have perfect fool-proof info for sure!

Thanks, superCool. Yes, realizing that I often miss the obvious and/or overthink most things I try -- I just opened the feed in Excel and sorted it by the "Category" column. The so-called "6 Blockbuster Categories" I referenced above are not there. If I had hours to spend on sorting it through and felt up to tearing out the remaining few hairs on my head, I think I could find, copy, and paste various products out of the feed.

May or may not be worth all that, when there are dozens of merchants around with much, MUCH better organized feeds offering sheds, shelving, and other sorts of storage/organization products.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Think I'll keep bumping this until Victor or SOMEONE from BettyMills offers some suggestions. Can't believe they don't hang around the forum here. Perhaps everyone's on vacation at BettyMills?? Wouldn't think so.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sent Victor a PM yesterday, he must be out as he usually response same day.

His last activity shows September 5th.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Victor or Stefanie -- Any chance you've read this thread and care to offer any suggestions about my datafeed problem?

Thanks.

Gary
    Last edited by writerguy; September 12th, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo
    Generate more fake news.

Gary, if I understand you correctly, you overlooked `store_id` field. These are the values and appropriate aliases:

`store_id` -> Category
    "Facility": "Industrial & Safety";
    "Food": "Snacks & Breakroom";
    "Furniture": "Office Furniture";
    "Jansan": "Cleaning & Janitorial";
    "Office": "Office & Technology";
    "Outdoor": "Storage & Shelving";

So, fields are:
    store_id -> super-category -> category -> sub-category

It's very hard to code scripts for it and it need very much improvising.

Hope it helps.
    Boris

10. Thanks From:

Thanks, Boris, I'll look that over and see about using it. I apparently have overlooked the store_id field.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

I don't know why but I don't get emails from the forum sent to my inbox like I used to, which is why I just noticed this posting. I'll get that fixed.

The 6 blockbuster categories are in fact the Store Segments, as you have already figured out in my absence from Boris.

One notable difference is our Outdoor store is now Shelving & Storage. The sheds live in that store segment.

Gary I hope that helps. Boris is correct.
    Last edited by Victor Hanna; September 12th, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

13. Thanks From:

Thank you, Victor, for adding to Boris' answer and clarifying the matter.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

15. Newsletter Signup