OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Pay-per-call increases affiliate program conversion
    Pay-per-call has long been touted as a conversion enhancer for affiliate programs and a way around 800 number leaks for affiliates. Here is a good article that outlines the benefits: Up to 7 / 10 potential affiliate sales can be leaked to call centres in certain sectors.

So why don't all affiliate programs provide this benefit to affiliates. Because its a complicated process explaining how this is paid for. The implementation is fairly easy as most top networks have this integrated into the network.

The cost benefit is had to determine as there are call duration fees and not every call is a guaranteed sale. Numbers I have heard is an additional $10 per sale. Now if a merchant has an average order value of $100 that's a 10% increase. If sales increase by 200-300% then it would pay for itself.

Another problem is that not all merchants can handle the incoming call volume increase as they have limited sales staff resources. In the case of one of my merchants their call staff are commissioned sales reps who are handling order questions. They do not want to handle pre-sale qualifications calls. So the merchant first needs to expand their office space then put in two seats for script agents to screen pre-sales calls. And their first question is how much increased sales will this drive to justify paying for more personnel, space and equipment.

What are your experiences?

Hi Chuck,

Just starting up some Pay-Per-Call with SAS, but I'm definitely a bit confused. The PPC seems to be different terms than a normal sale - so does this take the place of a sale.

For instance, let's say I have a merchant that pays 10% on the sale, and pays $11 for a call greater than 1 minute.

I send a customer, they call and stay on the phone for over a minute - and then buy the product.

Am I getting both the PPC and the 10% from the sale, or just the PPC?

It's kind of confusing because some of my merchants also have phone tracking of orders - so I'm just trying to figure everything out. Any help clearing my confusion is much appreciated.

Barbara

3. Thanks From:

Good question and I don' know how it plays out for affiliates.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Good question and I don' know how it plays out for affiliates.
    It IS a good question. From what we're experiencing on SAS is we only get the PayPerCall commission rate. PayPerCall conversions are pretty good and appear higher than standard links. We are still testing the overall profitability, ie: PayPerCall conversions/commissions versus non-PayPerCall conversions/commissions.

What we can say is PayPerCall banners do FAR better on our sites than standard banners...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Are the PPC banners customized with a unique toll free number?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    For the merchants we selected, yes. But, should point out, visitors are also CLICKING on those banners - and converting...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

8. Thanks From:

Hi Convergence,

Thanks for jumping in with some feedback. I've emailed the affiliate manager for one program to ask specifics, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm excited to try the PPC and see what happens. For some programs I promote, like a Credit Repair service, I *think* folks may be more willing to call than to click.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of clicking as well as calling...

Should be fun testing :-)

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Chuck,

I'm in the process of launching a pay-per-call campaign for our program through SAS. It should be launched later today. When creating the campaign I can upload graphics, banners, text links, etc. and specify a location within the creative for the phone number to be displayed.

11. Thanks From:

Just wanted to come back with some feedback. I just put up my revised banner for a credit repair company, and it included my new PPC phone number.

I put it live on Saturday, and today I have a 321 sec called processed = $2.

I know it's not a huge commission, but wow - totally made a difference on this particular merchant (only a handful of clicks in the last 90 days and no sales).

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the type of merchant being promoted. I have a couple other merchants that I've applied to the PPC in SAS but they haven't approved yet. One is a Flower Shop that delivers same day, which I really want to put the phone number on that one and see how it does.

I've been getting a few emails about merchants adding a PPC program - so I'm definitely going to check those out.

13. Thanks From:

Here's another article out yesterday that shows that ads with the unique number out performs the standard click through rates by 250%. Search Marketers Find Success Generating Inbound Calls from Mobile Search

15. Thanks From:

Here's a UK article touting the benefits:
    Now for the statistic to support these sweeping conclusions; the average conversion rate per call is between 30% - 50%, substantially more than conversion rates for clicks, the average cost for a call is $10 as merchants realise the higher conversion to sale.
    Give us a ring: PayPerCall in the UK affiliate market

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread