No notice of being declined?
    In all my years at SAS, I finally got my first decline. However I had no clue about it. Fine Art America (29161) is set to auto-approve, joined them along with a few others a couple of months ago. Just happen to check my Activity Summary to notice they have turned around and declined me. Would have been nice to know so I could have snatched their links down right away.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    mobilebadboy,

I highly recommend use of the API for status... you can check status of programs using one API call and thus remove links if any Decline happens for whatever reason... email me if you need more details on the API...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Brian,

I think he's suggesting he didn't receive an email saying he was declined...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Maybe it could be added to the Merchant Info area. superCool doesn't understand why declined merchants are included in Current Total anyway. ?? Another total for declined merchants would help. Then you could scan that number when you are on SAS home.

YOUR MERCHANT INFO
    Current Total: 20
    Pending: 1
    Low Fund Merchants: 2
    Declined: 2

Am I the only one who finds it a bit bizarre that an "auto-approve" merchant will decline someone? Seriously?? How can that be called "auto-approve" then?

One of life's many oxymorons?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

6. Thanks From:

nope, I'm agreeing with you writerguy

Just read this again.
    mobilebadboy - are you saying that you were auto approved, put your links up and then they turned around and I guess changed their minds and declined you (after your links were already up ) without ever telling you??

If that's the case, definitely shouldn't be allowed to do that. You should definitely have been notified. Telling you why would have also been nice.

*Not sure that's what you were saying, tho.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    mobilebadboy,

I highly recommend use of the API for status... you can check status of programs using one API call and thus remove links if any Decline happens for whatever reason... email me if you need more details on the API...
    API sounds technical. Email is universal. But for those who want to use API, can you put how to do that here? It'll save having to email each person.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it a bit bizarre that an "auto-approve" merchant will decline someone? Seriously?? How can that be called "auto-approve" then?
    BUNCH of programs do this. They decline if the marketing methods are not clearly defined/explained by the affiliate...

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Yes, API is good but there should also be an 'auto email notice' when an affiliate is declined or worse commission lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    BUNCH of programs do this. They decline if the marketing methods are not clearly defined/explained by the affiliate...
    True, and not good, but merchants need not worry about the 'marketing methods' of affiliates. Merchants need only worry about if an affiliate will bring legit traffic and sales through the network and follow TOS, that's it. If merchant not sure, then email the affiliate before approving or declining, cause too many good affiliates out there that will not show you their 'bag of tricks' for a while...

11. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We auto approve affiliates on SAS but then review the site when we get the email. At times we find a down site or something completely off target. Then via the email we can decline that app. Doesn't happen often.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    We auto approve affiliates on SAS but then review the site when we get the email. At times we find a down site or something completely off target. Then via the email we can decline that app. Doesn't happen often.
    Makes sense, of course. Thanks for the clarification, as I obviously didn't think that one through.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager - Parenting Niche hermedia's Avatar
    Although you are right, a manager shoudl always drop you a note when making changes to your status ... have you tried emailing the manager? These things can usually be cleared up with a quick email.

Actually, I am surprised how many affiliates don't follow up to my declines.
    I even state in my decline email;
    If you'd like me to reconsider your application, please don't hesitate to contact me.

A decline or removal is never final with me as a manager - if you take a moment to reach out it 99% of the time will result in me approving your application.

purplebear - you are correct.

have you tried emailing the manager?
    They had no interest in contacting me to solidify a relationship, so I have no interest in contacting them to do so either. I'm promoting a bunch of their competition in the same vertical, so no real problem. Just wish I had a clue they changed their mind.

My email is checked constantly. I have other SAS API scripts set up, rarely check them.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

16. Thanks From:

Oops - nevermind...

@hermedia - I like hearing that you reconsider if an affiliate emails you :-)

When I first started out, I was tentative about contacting after a decline. I hadn't really built up the confidence yet. For SAS, I LOVE the fact that I have the form right there to give additional details about what I want to do. For me, that's particularly important with some new sites I'm building and trying to explain how I want to utilize promotions across my network - and the fact that I'm building up over time, need to get their links into my software now, etc.

What I find more frustrating, is that I can't do this on CJ or LS (at least, not that I've found). And I'm getting declines, because I can't explain what I'm doing.

Worse is when I try to contact them, and I can't find a way to. I even tried email and PMing one merchant up here on ABW - but alas, no love.

Sometimes the limited fields on approval forms really don't tell the whole story, so I love it when Affiliate Managers / Merchants want to hear from you and discuss a plan.

And for those of you that still feel tentative - reach out and make contact if you get declined. I had 5 different merchants decline me on my latest venture, and once I explained what I was doing, all 5 approved me. So it can be done!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post

One of life's many oxymorons?

Gary
    Ok; One very good reason is When an affiliate sees a site/merchant and says, "that's a good match for me" so by being on auto he can go in and grab links and get them up while the merchant is on his mind.
    If it was not on auto, by the time the am got around to approving the sign ups the affiliate would no longer be thinking of doing work for the merchant.
    Or it might be a weekend ( not all AM work as hard as I do) and he would need to wait a few days to be approved.

Even thou some of my merchants are set to auto, I go in and look them over and if I feel ( for whatever reason) that its not a good match or... I decline them. They do get an email though via sas.

If an affiliate writes me, ( on my decline email it states if they wish me to reconsider to write me) and explains what their intentions are 99 out of 100 I approve. So its always in ur best interest if you wish to work with that merchant to follow up with them.
    Last edited by Richard - AMWSO; September 13th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

20. Thanks From:

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread