Fonts look horrible, only on SOME sites
    Recently, I've run across more and more sites where the fonts just look absolutely horrible. It's not every site. It doesn't do it here, nor on any of my sites, nor many, many other sites. Just random sites. Like Sitepoint -- never had the issue there until they just upgraded the board and added a new theme, now it does it there.

It almost looks like ... letter spacing is negative, and anti-aliasing is turned off.

It does this in both IE and Firefox, and only on the same sites. Some look worse than others (depending on font size, colors, etc).

Anyone else run across this?

I can't find any other examples at the moment. Most of the sites I visit regularly don't do it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

weird. have not noticed it lately, but if you zoom your browser in or out just a bit it sometimes messes with the fonts and spacing. next time verify that your zoom is zeroed out and see if that might be the problem. maybe it has something to do with the font size used on these sites and a slight zoom.

hate it when something like that happens on a superCool site

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Seem to be using a font from the Google - Oswald. Think that may be the problem. Look at the sampling:

Google Web Fonts Oswald

[EDIT] Nope. They're using Oswald on their home page. Not on innner pages...<stumped>
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

It's not the zoom, checked that. Plus that should affect more than just random sites (one would think). And AFAIK IE 7 doesn't even have a zoom option.

I dunno, as long as my regulars don't do it. It's just a pain when I'm researching something, and the one site that has the good explanation looks like that. It's a pain to read.

I wonder if all the sites you are seeing this on are using the same software like vbulletin where it would be an issue with the version they are all using.

John, that's something I haven't thought of. I'll have to start paying particular attention to what I'm viewing when I run across it again. Although they're running vb4 here as well, and it doesn't do it. Not sure if it's the exact same version.

As the issue has only recently gotten more noticeable, that' a good theory (more sites updating over time). But I would think I wouldn't be the only one complaining either.

Edit: Just went to vBulletin's forum, looks fine there.

FWIW, we're still on the VB 3.8.X line here, not VB 4. Just in case it helps your investigation.

Any disclosures about your system that may help us? Weird resolution? Weird DPI setting? Weird browser settings?

It looks similar to issues I've read about where people have DPI settings to enlarge fonts, then display scaling makes things look wacky sometimes. If it were that tho, it'd be a setting you change on the shortcut compatibility tab. Easy to test by checking it and seeing if it makes a difference the next time you open the shortcut.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Ah, I didn't know it was still 3 here. Can you upgrade to 4 real quick so I can check? I'm assuming WHT is still 3.x, looks fine there too.

Nothing different on my system than usual (1024, 96 DPI as always..). I run Firefox straight from the Run prompt. I know it seems ass-backwards, but the Run prompt is my Start menu *shrug*.

Unfortunately I have nothing to search for tonight. That's usually when I run into this. But the night's still young (for me anyway!).

Forgot that Twitter does it too (checked a person the other day). So I can rule out just being vB.

I figured it out.

I went poking through Twitter's CSS and pulled this out:

Code:
    font:13px/1.5 Helvetica Neue,Arial,Helvetica,'Liberation Sans',FreeSans,sans-serif
    I applied to one of my random pages (I use straight Arial on all my pages), and I got the screwed up looking text. I went searching through my fonts and realized I have Helvetica Neue installed. I removed it, Twitter and SP look fine (well, at least as far as that problem goes).

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread