Question Moving Down Under
    I'm a newbie to affiliate marketing, I live in Canada, and my assorted websites are definitely a work-in-progress. I used GoDaddy to get my domains, my hosting is through HostPapa, and I joined all the major networks (Commission Junction, GAN, LinkShare, Pepperjam, ShareASale, etc.).

My spouse just threw a spanner in the works by getting a job offer in New Zealand. I've been overwhelmed with the big issues (sorting out international movers, visas, tax issues, school options for the kids, medical coverage, etc) and suddenly realized I have absolutely no idea what to do about my new affiliate marketing venture!

If any affiliate marketers out there have moved from North America to New Zealand (or perhaps to Australia), do you have any advice for me? Do I need to transfer my sites to an NZ-based host? Do I have to be resident in North America to remain with the major networks? Will there be any problem with my GoDaddy registrations (or WHOIS, or whatever) if I move?

Any advice at this overwhelmingly stressful time would be greatly appreciated!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Mali, not that I an expert but I would not worry about until you are settled. If you have latency between NZ and where your site is hosted then you can make a move. As for WhoIs I can not see that it matters. You will have the unique position to be from North America and living on the other side of the world. In that I mean that affiliate marketing down under is less developed but a growing area.

sounds good
    Hi Chuck - thanks for the input, I'll take a "wait and see" approach and hope everything falls into place!
    I'm saddened by the inevitable loss of all my "toys" (tv, electrical gadgets, etc.) because of the voltage/hertz/plugs difference. And of course my car - steering wheel is on the other side. And the paperwork - there's a LOT of paperwork!! Yikes...

Good luck with the move and circle back here when you get there. You can find converters for the gadgets just don't know if they have the same service providers.

Mali, Sorry for the late response. You should check all your merchant's TOS and see if they prohibit international affiliates. Each merchant will have different terms on that issue.

if you're a U.S. citizen, give some thought to keeping a U.S.A. presence.

bank account of course, and maybe set up post office box with a trustworthy person to pick up the mail every couple of weeks.
    The internet is a fad.

What is the law regarding international affiliates, how do we pay taxes. I have had no idea about this? are we exempt?

What is the law regarding international affiliates, how do we pay taxes. I have had no idea about this? are we exempt?
    Are you referring sales made in the U.S.?

Yes, sorry if i didnt make that clear. Lets say a US citizen clicks on my affiliate link and buys a clickbank vendors product, then clickbank send the cheque to England??

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; December 6th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.

You need to check the laws in England. For the U.S. we required a form be faxed/emailed that declared the affiliate did not have residency in the U.S.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread