What Makes a Good Affiliate?
    We've all read and participated in threads about merchant practices and what makes good merchants.

So it's equally fair to outline what qualities make a good affiliate and maybe this can also be a guide to newbies.

So what makes a good affiliate? I'll start the ball rolling. As an affiliate I believe it's important to read and follow a merchant's terms. When in doubt contact your merchant rep.
    Communication with your affiliate rep is also key.

I'm looking forward to reading other members responses. Let's try to keep this positive and not start a bashing session on affiliates.

I believe a good affiliate should have a website already up and running before signing up in the merchant's affiliate program. They should not register just to purchase the product through their affiliate link.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    I believe a good affiliate should have a website already up and running before signing up in the merchant's affiliate program. They should not register just to purchase the product through their affiliate link.
    When I started this post I never even considered that but it's a good point and something that must really annoy AMs.

Sometimes though, one needs to test before going out and building a site to promote a product. Also, some affiliates use models that don't require the use of a website (rare I know) but it's quite feasible to sell products without a website i.e email marketing, direct linking etc.

Good affiliates follow FTC disclosure guidelines even when it hurts

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Good affiliates follow FTC disclosure guidelines even when it hurts
    How does it hurt? Please enlighten me.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    How does it hurt? Please enlighten me.
    If you fully disclose each affiliate link on your site drop per FTC regulations, it can potentially hurt your clickthrough rate. I realize a lot of people have done just fine with full disclosure. I personally disagree with a lot of the regulations, but that's just my opinion.

Sometimes following the rules is a bit more work but I suppose that's the difference between a 'good' affiliate and the rest

not disclosing your relationship with the affiliate program can jeopardize your earnings as it gives a program a reason to suspend your account.

ABW Ambassador
    "If you fully disclose each affiliate link on your site drop per FTC regulations,"

There is no such thing. The term affiliate isn't even used.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/964923-post20.html

I don't do any reviews at all. I have 0 FTC disclosures on my site.
    Last edited by Trust; September 24th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    "If you fully disclose each affiliate link on your site drop per FTC regulations,"

There is no such thing. The term affiliate isn't even used.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/964923-post20.html

I don't do any reviews at all. I have 0 FTC disclosures on my site.
    The page that post is referencing was from 2007 (FTC Approves Affiliate Marketing Rule Regarding Use of Consumer Information)

here's something from 2009: FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials

And you can interpret them however you want - it's just guidance. I'm not saying I follow it myself, although I have made disclosures before.

Not doing this doesn't make you a bad affiliate, but if you're keeping your visitors aware of the connection between you and the products/services you promote, you're definitely going out of your way to be a good affiliate.

ABW Ambassador
    That thread was actually talking about the 2009 guidelines. My post referencing 2007 was just pointing out the FTC knows about affiliate marketing as you can see them using those terms. In the 2009 pdf - http://www.ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005...esfnnotice.pdf

the term affiliate isn't used even once, since they're not talking about affiliate links, they're talking about paid reviews. Those are not the same.

So affiliates don't need any FTC disclosures on their sites (unless you're doing paid reviews on those sites).

But if you want to put them up anyway, that's up to you. But it isn't required or even needed. Just lots of bloggers and other industry types saying that you do need them are wrong or haven't even read that pdf and are still confused on this subject.

As far as: What Makes a Good Affiliate?

I think in a nutshell, if you drive sales while abiding by the agreement you have with the merchant.
    Last edited by Trust; September 24th, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Tax Paying Member
    What happens when an affiliate wishes to build a site that promotes only the merchant to which application is being made? What does the affiliate show the new merchant on application?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    What happens when an affiliate wishes to build a site that promotes only the merchant to which application is being made? What does the affiliate show the new merchant on application?
    Generally not a good idea to build a site around one merchant. Hopefully with whatever you do, you have at least a few merchants with affiliate programs.

But I understand some affiliates do that. If you do that, with the application, simply tell them your plans. If I was a new merchant and an affiliate wanted to join my program and wanted to build a site around something I'm selling, I would be fine with it.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread