PM Replies = Show quoted text when hit "reply"
    Possibly I have something misconfigured, in my settings for ABW? If not, possibly Chuck can change the way this is working? This morning, I had 2 PMs to reply to. On both of them, when I clicked the "Reply" button, the message form was blank. I would prefer to see the messages I am replying to, there, quoted, so I can reply to them that way. I also participate on WHT and that's the way it works there.

If I have something configured wrong, in my settings, please tell me what to correct.

If not, please consider making Replies to PMs work differently.

TIA! Lanny

You must have missed the great PM debate of 2011: Thread: Turn off auto quote in PM replies.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

3. Thanks From:

Lightbulb Missed that thread and cannot see it
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    You must have missed the great PM debate of 2011: Thread: Turn off auto quote in PM replies.
    -rematt
    Cool. Yes, I missed that one. And, when I clicked on the link in your response, I got a message that began with this:

"Lanny, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Thank you, for letting me know this topic has been thoroughly discussed on ABW recently!

Apparently the powers that be have decided the feature will not be turned back on. Despite the fact this is the ONLY forum I go to that doesn't allow you to see what you're replying to when you reply.

I've been around ABW since, oh, I dunno, for years. (Seems like about 6 or 8, but I really don't remember.) You could count on the figures of one hand the times I've felt strongly and/or ranted about anything regarding ABW's usability.

And this would be one of those times.

Seems totally idiotic to me that some users' inability to trim down quoted replies should dictate that the rest of us lose the feature.

Yeah, I know. Poll and all that, yada yada yada ... if Lanny could see the above referenced thread, he'd see that those wanting the feature on now outnumber those who want it off.

Ah, well. End of useless, pointless rant now.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

6. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Its on my feature list. I will kick it in the ass and see where they are at with this.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks, Chuck. And sorry if I got off on a little rant there. LOL!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    Cool. Yes, I missed that one. And, when I clicked on the link in your response, I got a message that began with this:

"Lanny, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Thank you, for letting me know this topic has been thoroughly discussed on ABW recently!
    Sorry Lanny, it didn't occur to me that the poll would be in the INNER CIRCLE (bomp, bomp bommmmmm). The bottom line is...well you've already read the bottom line. Patience grasshopper.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

11. Thanks From:

Thanks to 3 responders in this thread
    @writerguy (Gary) Thanks for the history you provided and your thoughts on this. I too think it is not that difficult, to delete any quoted text in the message I am replying to.

@Chuck Thank you. If they turn it back on, it will make it easier for me and many others to reply to PMs.

@rematt INNER CIRCLE? I'm a "newbie" here, so I'm not in that ELITE group. Possibly someday in the future.

Initial feedback was that members wanted the auto-quote turned off. It was then turned off.

That poll shows clearly people feel both ways, but most want it on.

Unfortunately, it's all or nothing - there is always the quote there, or there is never the quote there. There is no inbetween where if you hit forward or reply button it then inserts the quote - its all or nothing, and thats just the way the forum software is written.

To me, we have the auto-quote on across every other forum - its that way by default, and never got complaints on it before. It is easy to select all and remove the auto-quote, though if you do that often its cumbersome. Not a big deal though, and this way seems best for everyone.

I'll get the auto-quote turned back on. Requires a quick edit, and I just need to figure out the what and where.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

14. Thanks From:

Matt - Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Initial feedback was that members wanted the auto-quote turned off. It was then turned off.
    <snip>
    I'll get the auto-quote turned back on. Requires a quick edit, and I just need to figure out the what and where.
    Matt: Thank you! The hard part is to figure out what and where to do the editing. After that it should be easy. Thanks again and have a great week! Lanny

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    And this would be one of those times.

Seems totally idiotic to me that some users' inability to trim down quoted replies should dictate that the rest of us lose the feature.

Gary
    Thanks!

Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to undo it. Then I walked the dog, in the rain mind you, and upon my return it came back to me like I had only done it yesterday.

Quotes should be back on in PMs now.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

18. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Now just so we are all clear, if you don't want the quotes in a reply, you manually delete it!

Thank you so much. Now I've got to contact a couple of people to re-send about 3 weeks of PMs to me, so I can have the auto-quotes of those all over again.

NO, I'M JUST KIDDING ABOUT THAT!! LOL!!

But it is indeed very helpful to have the feature back on.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Thumbs up @Matt (I.M.O.G.) - I used to get solutions when in the shower
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to undo it. Then I walked the dog, in the rain mind you, and upon my return it came back to me like I had only done it yesterday.
    Quotes should be back on in PMs now.
    Super. I'm an old Assembly Language programmer (Embedded Real-Time systems). I cannot tell you, how many times, I was in the shower and then got the solution as to how to do something. In the office, on those same things, no clue. Sometimes it takes distance from the problem (and the office). Thank you!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread