Tracking coupon codes...how?
    I have a list of highly targeted customers in the wedding market and i wanted to leverage my list by providing them really awesome deals with local businesses related to the wedding industry, limousine rentals, flourists, suits, catering, etc, you get the idea. Now if i make a deal with this business that, if i send them customers, i'd like 15% of the sale.

So, say in the email or phone call, i give my list a 'coupon code' that gives them 25% off a businesses catering service.

The problem i keep thinking about is that, if my list of customers goes to this catering business with our coupon code, how do i know if they used the coupon without the catering business going behind my back and not using the coupon code?

I simply want to figure out a way i can track the number of times my coupon codes are used or even if i got the sale.

Or do i have to simply rely on an 'honor system' where the business will tell me who used the coupon code and get paid for the referral?

If you guys can help me sort this problem out, that would be amazing. Thanks!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Are you doing this nationally or only locally?

locally

That limits your ability to track but you can still do some tracking. First you need to meet with each local business and see if you can negotiate a coupon code. Then you need to setup a system so you display the coupon code as an image so it can not just be copied. Ultimately you will have to trust the merchant to pay you for the use of the coupon code. This is part affiliate, sales rep and biz dev. Do you have enough business in your area to support such a model. In essence you are proposing a reverse affiliate program or more appropriately an advertising model.

We definitely have enough business for this market in our area.

Exactly what you said is what we are planning to do. I'm just really hoping there is some type of third party service/solution where i could not only track the amount of times the coupon was printed/clicked, but also how many times that was converted into a final purchase with the business.

If there is no such thing, i guess i will have to to ultimately trust my merchant to pay us for our referrals without any real data other than how many times our lists printed out the coupon code.

There are third party coupon printing services but I can't recall one off the top of my head. That would make more sense as you could quantify the printings and share that data with the merchant.

Yeah, i agree.

Another person on a different forum recommended the groupon method by selling the coupons directly to the customers and the merchants having to honor the coupon.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread