Exclamation Need help with a computer problem
    I need some help. My computer is opening tabs everytime I go to type something or do a key stroke. I can't figure out why and it does it in Firefox as well as IE. I'm on another computer at this time. I have rebooted it several times but that doesn't help. I 'v gone into tools and can't find anything. Any suggestions?
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What's in these tabs after they open?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Two things jump out at me.

1) Virus
    2) Faulty keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Two things jump out at me.

1) Virus
    2) Faulty keyboard
    That's where I would start too. If it only happens with the browser I would first look for a virus since they tend to affect browser behavior.

Do you have any restore points you can roll back to?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Tax Paying Member
    My cursor dances uncontrollably sometimes. It may not set well with real computer gurus....but I pull the plug....let the whole system reset

Windows 7......
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    My computer seems slower lately and I am running a 14 day trial of Zemana AntiLogger - The #1 Privacy Software antilogger just to check. I have ZoneAlarm Extreme Security as a firewall and virus protection.

It was the keyboard. I had problems in the past with it and would reboot my computer and it would work. I guess all of the pounding on it making new pages for my websites finally did it in. Purchased a new one and all is fine.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

8. Thanks From:

Yeah, damn keyboards, don't last.

Mine is probably less than a year old, 12 keys are characterless. Rubbed the letters right off...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Damn were is a keyboard merchant when I need to run their program. Wonder if I can negotiate a subscription model to pay an extra $5 and get 50% off a new one every year.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I blame all my typos on both a 5 year old rubbed out lettered keyboard... or Charlie who I pay to type as I dictate.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

12. Thanks From:

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by boningroup View Post
    It was the keyboard. I had problems in the past with it and would reboot my computer and it would work. I guess all of the pounding on it making new pages for my websites finally did it in. Purchased a new one and all is fine.
    So, before you invest in your next keyboard in another year.

Just some ideas from a long-term geek that has worn out many keyboards over the decades.

Random actions/windows/tabs:

What usually happens to me from time to time is that one of the Ctrl or Alt keys get stuck in the on mode for a while. That matches your symptom of new tabs/windows opening. For example, Ctrl-N in a browser (and many other places) means "Open a new Window" or document, and Ctrl-T means "Open a new Tab".

Typically it happens if you like me has a long-term habit of pressing these keys on their edge or side instead of right in the middle, wearing down their balance in an uneven way. Combine that with normal dust/dirt getting under the keys, and eventually one of them will get stuck (the internal "spring" cannot push it back up after use), because it is stuck on the edge. I usually first tries to simply press (pound) both left and right side Ctrl/Alt keys straight down hard a couple of times. Clears it right up for a long time. Until the next time it happens.

Second idea (for the person with jumping cursors):

I have had this problem on newer Windows, which runs the language bar by default.. When the language bar is turned on, and the built-in microphone ends up being on/turned up my cursor would be jumping around, and when in any type of word-processing (Word, email, ...) sometimes garbage would be entered into my documents. I was going nuts initially, not knowing the reason at the time.

Turned out that random noise or speech from the TV anchor on the news turned into garbage.

I could reproduce it by starting a new document (like Office Word supporting use of language bar) and simply YELLING at the computer. It would then happily "type" random text strings into the document all by it self.

Switching the darn language bar off and stopping it from starting on boot, fixed it right up. I have never seen the problem since.

Cool
    Yeah, damn keyboards, don't last.

Mine is probably less than a year old, 12 keys are characterless. Rubbed the letters right off...
    Thats where a different type keyboard helps.

My keys have nothing printed on them at all. Nothing to wear off. Instead each key has shine-through letters/symbols built-in, and diodes underneath that shine white light though the symbols. Looks like white print on each key.

Also means that the keyboard can be used in the dark, if all the light bulbs in the house burn out at the same time. (It could happen, don't ya think???)

So to wear the symbols 'off' would mean to wear the keys down clean through the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
    Thats where a different type keyboard helps.

My keys have nothing printed on them at all. Nothing to wear off. Instead each key has shine-through letters/symbols built-in, and diodes underneath that shine white light though the symbols. Looks like white print on each key.

Also means that the keyboard can be used in the dark, if all the light bulbs in the house burn out at the same time. (It could happen, don't ya think???)

So to wear the symbols 'off' would mean to wear the keys down clean through the plastic.
    Wireless?

Talking
    Wireless?
    Well.. No.. Can't imagine the power requirements for all that light-show matching wireless keyboard batteries.

When I want to lean back and poke at the show on my 4 monitors from a distance I use a small wireless keyboard that fits in my lap with a built-in mouse touch-pad, so I can sit in my recliner and poke fun at the goings on. I do not do that enough to wear off the keys. My usual "laptop" is too heavy for that (I think about 11+ pounds, and cooking up heavy crutch-debilitating heat), plus it has way too many wires connected these days. It is basically 100% stationary. All those wires are enough to anchor a medium-size boat.

Also have some normal wireless multi-media style keyboards, but I only reach out for them when I on a rare occasion absolutely must physically touch/reboot local machines. Otherwise I do development work using remote X-Windows applications pushing their windows onto my PC monitors, or using SSH (secure shell) logged into Linux server command lines here and and "out there" in internet land, where personal, physical touch (kicking the server or RAIDs with a big boot when it does not behave) is not possible.

In one of my earlier lives I was a Unix/Linux geek (developing Unix kernel/driver/app OS software), so I like the "personal touch" approach to making computers dance.

I was hoping technology was at a point where back-lit keys on a wireless keyboard was possible.

Two things my desk does not need any more of:

1) Cables/Cords
    2) Paper

<sigh>...

Red face
    I was hoping technology was at a point where back-lit keys on a wireless keyboard was possible.
    The technology is.. Check out for example this one:

logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/7288
    Logitech - Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800

(I don't think the system allows me to post links in this forum, so it might get muddled. If that happens, then search web for as an example "Logitech K800)

Note: I do not own this, so I do not know if these are real "cannot wear off" keys. But your local brick-and-mortar computer store of choice can probably let you check that out.

BTW.. Note their "fix" for battery savings. "Hand Proximity detection" to know when you want to type. Cool, huh?
    Last edited by DeeCee; October 7th, 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: just adding "proximity"

19. Thanks From:

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread