Smile Why some merchants do like coupon sites?
    Hi, everyone. I am a merchant on Shareasale.
    I don't know why many merchants do not like coupon sites. Do coupon sites bring some bad to the merchant shops? Coupon sites can also bring the merchants traffic and conversion but why so many merchant disapprove them? I am confused. I always approve affiliates automatically. Am I doing the right? Or I should disapprove the coupon sites? Wish somebody can tell me. I have so many coupon site affiliates. Thank you all in advance.

If they are sending you traffic and sales then I would keep them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

3. Thanks From:

In most cases that I've seen it's because of a lack of understanding. Sure, there are bad coupon sites out there like any other type of site, but to offer coupons and not like coupon sites makes no sense to me. Don't go with the flow, it truly is the path of least resistance and the path of the lemming mindset. Do what works best for you, not just what others are doing. Having been an affiliate and OPM I've seen both sides and there are too many program managers who have little or no idea what they're doing.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

5. Thanks From:

Coupon sites tend to capture commissions from customers you already have in your shopping cart.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Coupon sites tend to capture commissions from customers you already have in your shopping cart.
    and often replacing the cookie from the affiliate who actually brought you the new customer. some merchants/mangers don't like either situation, but if you offer coupons then that's probably what's going to happen.

Outsourced Program Manager - Parenting Niche hermedia's Avatar
    I have some merchants who do not allow any coupon sites (really niche products). I also have some who limit them. I decline about 30 'new affiliates' each day who have put up a coupon site and started applying for programs.

The value of a coupon site isn't the site. It's their skills and the subscriber base. Anyone can 'seo' our brand with the search term 'coupon code'. Allowing 1000 coupon affiliates to do so isn't helping my client (merchant) OR the valued affiliate partners I already work with.

The main reasons I do not approve them isn't because they are a coupon site.

It's because;

1) Their profile on SAS stinks. They don't list ANY information other than 1 website. Who are you, what are your skills, how do you promote your programs?

2) SAS provides you with the ability to write me a note when you applied - did you?

I take the time to be available to my affiliate partners, I visit your sites, I offer training resources, fresh creative, incentives, my profile is complete, my sas aquarium profiles are complete, our affilaite partner pages are clear and provide our contact details. If you are the right fit for us you will have taken the 5 min to write me a personal note when you applied.

3) Your site hasn't been established for more than 4 months. You don't have a clear disclosure policy and privacy policy on your site. You don't have your contact details listed on your site (or a way for your users to contact you for help). (Your coupon site looks like every other site and is not unique in any way.)

These are the most common reasons.

I am flooded with new coupon affiliate applications each day. To have a successful affiliate program I need a balance of different types of affiliate partners. PPC, Niche content, datafeed stores, discount sites.

I already work with a lot of coupon discount sites that have a solid user base, social media following, and have proven themselves to our program investing a lot of time to do so. I need to value their contribution to my program. I do this by not just approving everyone who applies.

I hope that helps

I always have a clear decline email letting our partners know what we are looking for and how to re-apply when you meet our requirements.

I am sorry if some merchants aren't doing so - leaving you wondering why you were declined. I have applied to those programs in the past as well and I understand your frustration I usually just followed up with a well written and polite email asking if I could know why they declined my application and if there are some changes I could make to have my application reconsidered.

Outsourced Program Manager
    it seems everyone and their mother is setting up coupon sites recently. more than half of my "new" applicants are such, They offer nothing to the merchant an the chance of them making sales is slim.
    Plus many merchants are already paying commissions, $ to the network an possible an AM so adding a discount cuts into their profits to much.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

10. Thanks From:

Thanks everyone. So kind of you.
    I need to learn to manage this.

coupon site doesn't work fast.
    when you post a coupon in a site,sometimes you need several months to await them active,that's a part of reason why merchants don't like them,in my opinion.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    That's standard for most affiliates. You should keep all coupons private and when a coupon affiliate applies ask them if they want the codes. Then send the code and check back in a week. If not placed ask why.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    That's standard for most affiliates. You should keep all coupons private and when a coupon affiliate applies ask them if they want the codes. Then send the code and check back in a week. If not placed ask why.
    Thanks Chuck. If the codes are not placed, should I disaprove the affiliate?

That's your decision and if you kept up with recent threads you will see why some affiliate put off adding links. Its best to not remove affiliate who are inactive but rather spend some routine efforts to activate them.

That's your decision and if you kept up with recent threads you will see why some affiliate put off adding links. Its best to not remove affiliate who are inactive but rather spend some routine efforts to activate them.
    I'm with Chuck on this. When you remove an affiliate you have no chance to get sales from them. They aren't costing you anything to keep them but can cost you to remove them.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks Chuck. It seems that I should keep close contact with my affiliates. Actually I did send emails to some of my affiliates, but to my disapointment, no one replied my emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice View Post
    I'm with Chuck on this. When you remove an affiliate you have no chance to get sales from them. They aren't costing you anything to keep them but can cost you to remove them.
    Thanks Greg. It is kind of you to help me.

Put them on a 2-3 week follow-up cycle and expect it can take 60-120 days to get them active. The bigger the affiliate the longer it may take. Personalize your emails and vary the subject line each time until you get responses.

In 2005 I tried everything to motivate affiliates but the big ones held out. Finally I said, "What would you do to double your commission?" That got them and was only at 5% so doubling it to 10% was not the most difficult. Took that program from $80k/month to $250k/month in six months.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread