Are LinkShare XML Feeds Broken Right Now?
    I've been using XML feeds for quite some time, and they just stopped working for me recently... maybe within the last 24 hrs.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I was looking at the XML feed that LinkShare's system generates from my URL and noticed that the <merchantname/> tag is not started with <merchantname>. Could this mean they changed something this weekend and broke it?

Also, all my products links are invalid. Here's a link from my XML feed that results in a "Invalid Publisher Code, Offer, or Publisher - Advertiser Partnership Status" error.
    [Link removed]

Please, someone help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 24th, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: No links for newbies

LinkShare XML Feed Acting Screwy - Proof
    I've made some progress in troubleshooting my problems with my LinkShare XML feed.

When I enter my XML URL in a browser, sometimes it'll generate all the information, and sometimes it won't.

The first few lines of a properly generated XML feed look like this...
    <result>
    <TotalMatches>459</TotalMatches>
    <TotalPages>31</TotalPages>
    <PageNumber>1</PageNumber>

<item>
    <mid>2488</mid>
    <merchantname>Computers4SURE (4SURE.com</merchantname>
    <linkid>7193379</linkid>
    <createdon>2011-08-25/06:22:11</createdon>
    <sku>S8193379</sku>

<productname>
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1839 - tablet - Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) - 64 GB - 10.1" - black
    </productname>

But, a poorly generated XML feed looks like this...
    <result>
    <TotalMatches>398</TotalMatches>
    <TotalPages>27</TotalPages>
    <PageNumber>1</PageNumber>

<item>
    <mid>2488</mid>
    <merchantname/>
    <linkid>7193379</linkid>
    <createdon>2011-08-22/05:51:21</createdon>
    <sku>S8193379</sku>

<productname>
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1839 - tablet - Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) - 64 GB - 10.1" - black
    </productname>

If you'll note the text in bold, the <merchantname/> tag is incomplete. It's missing the start tag <merchantname> and the actual merchant name text.

This totally screws up how the feed is displayed on my site. In addition, the product links don't work either in the bad feed.

You can see what I mean on my test site at www dot neatdesktopscanner dot com. Take a look at the right sidebar, and if the favicons and the merchant name appear, then the feed was generated correctly by the LS servers. If the favicons and merchant name are missing, then it wasn't and the links won't work either. Refresh the page a few times until you see both events occur. The problem is reproducible, so I think that it would be fairly easy for LS techs to help me find a solution.

BTW, the showcase-style sidebar is generated by a WordPress plugin I developed that's easy to use. If anyone is interested in beta-testing it for me, please let me know. It requires at least WordPress 3.0, and of course, a working LinkShare account. Oh, and a sidebar that's at least 300 px wide.

Any help from LinkShare mods on this would be extremely appreciated.

LinkShare advised about this change
    @OP Welcome to ABW! I suspect the issue you ran into was announced here on ABW, in this Sticky Thread:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/links...te-148137.html

Hopefully, that will get you on the way. If not, hopefully, on Monday, the LinkShare Moderator will read your post and respond to you. GL!

Hi, Lanny...

Unfortunately, it's not. I don't believe it has anything to do with the changeover. Although, I would like to know why my XML feed is not getting the new format of the product links mentioned in that sticky. I'm still seeing the 'old' format.

My problem seems to stem from a malformed XML feed. It doesn't always come through complete... as if it was 'broken.'

It just seems that the LS servers don't consistently generate a complete XML feed, i.e. sometimes it's missing the <merchantname> tag, and the product links lead to error pages.

I hope someone at LS responds to my support request soon, or one of the moderators on this forum can shed some light on this.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    ClickPimpsta,

I am not sure what service you are using to get this. XML feed is a fairly broad term and it would help me greatly if you can provide your LinkShare Tracking ID/SID & the product/service you are using.

--Ranae

Hi, Ranae...

The SID i'm using is 2298538, and the service i'm using is referred to as "Merchandiser Query API" on the LS website.

The XML feed is generated by an URL that looks something like:
    h t t p : / / productsearch.linksynergy.com / productsearch?...

Hope you can help.

Thanks!

Lightbulb
    Hello,

Not sure if this is going to be any help.. but I do recall "Computers4SURE" was getting removed.

We wanted to reach out to let you know that the Computers4SURE affiliate program will be officially closed as of September 30, 2011. We are thankful for the support you have provided for Computers4SURE since you joined our program!

Please be sure to remove any links for Computers4SURE from your site by September 30, 2011 as they will be broken and will no longer display.

If you havenít already, be sure to check out our great sister brand, Office Depot..
    Maybe the errors that are poping up is due to items from this merchant being removed ?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ClickPimpsta,

Thanks for notifying us - this is an issue that is impacting multiple publishers and we have alerted our tech team and hope to have a resolution for you soon.

--Ranae

Hi, Ranae...

Any updates on the problems with the XML feeds?

I waited until this Monday thinking that the problem might have been fixed with the new LinkShare Merchandiser Product Links Format Update, but it did not help my issue.

My XML feed is still being malformed by the LS servers, so it creates unusable links.

Please advise...

Hi ClickPimpsta,

Are you still seeing the issue? Our technology team believes they have identified and resolved the issue after your recent post. I don't see the favicons but the link seem to be working on your website.

--Ranae

Hi, Ranae...

Whatever they did, it seems to have helped. Thanks!

The feed is coming up consistently, and hopefully, it'll stay that way.

Before, it would only show results from one merchant and the links wouldn't work. So far, it's showing items from all my approved merchants and the links are working.

Great job!

ClickPimpsta,

Glad to hear it!

--Ranae

Hi,

I am having the same problems.

Sometimes the xml is good, sometimes there is problem with merchantname and then the link also doesnt work.

I have tested my code and its purely something to do with the response.

Because I have made the same requests and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Is there any way to fix it?

Greets,
    Thomas

Hi dabomb_gent,

It may be best to reach out to the Publisher Support team. Please provide all the details such as the service you are using, the link you are using to request the call and your SID/tracking ID. Also, if you can attach a result you get that would be great.

--Ranae

Hey,

thanks, yes I will contact them.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread