Image Size: 11,133,605 - Dimensions: 2000 x 3000
    Wow! That'a big image. It's actually a great images, one that superCool could stare at all day....in great detail...., but really...

superCool has some merchants with very large images (datafeed) and no smaller versions available. It's just not right to send a file that size to an unsuspecting user's browser. superCool has a script to resize large images, but it can't handle these super-large files. Apparently the host maximum of 64M php memory is not large enough to handle the processing of these big files. superCool is currently using getimagesize() and then resizing (trying to anyway). This works for files up to approximately 2,000,000, but superCool has thousands of images that are larger than that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting these huge files under control? superCool is going to try resizing the image on his home computer with bumped up php memory, but that machine is not very beefy and will probably not handle it either.

Thoughts? What do you do with super big images? Do you just let them fly? Seems like that would affect average page-speed when you have thousands of them, plus on some pages there are more than one of these biggies in a list of "thumbnails" (browser resized).

superCool is assuming that the merchants are aware of this, but will send some messages to see what they say.

fankth,
    superCool

What I do is go to the merchants website and look around at their site for a pattern. Some time its a easy as merchant.com/images/large/P1234.jpg & merchant.com/images/small/P1234.jpg other times the name on the images changes P1234_Large.jpg / P1234_med.jpg / P1234_small.jpg

Then I modify the image string to replace large with small

Up to now I always found away around large images.

Kevin........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

3. Thanks From:

I usually use CSS to assign a set width to product images.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

That only helps with rendered dimensions, the user still has to download the hufreakinmungous image which is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    What I do is go to the merchants website and look around at their site for a pattern. Some time its a easy as merchant.com/images/large/P1234.jpg & merchant.com/images/small/P1234.jpg other times the name on the images changes P1234_Large.jpg / P1234_med.jpg / P1234_small.jpg

Kevin........
    I would try this first as this is often, not always, the case. If that doesn't work then try contacting the merchant. An 11 MB image is too much IMO.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post

Kevin........
    It looks like this might work. Found another url option so just need to see if all of the images are there. Thanks kse!

Merchant Images Size
    I don't think you can assume the merchant is aware of the huge images. If they know enough to understand that the images are huge, they surely know why it's a bad idea and how to fix it.

I've seen some merchants using "zoom" scripts on their site - they only have to serve up one extra large image, which generates both the thumbnail & medium size image - this means there isn't another size available. Not helpful for affiliates at all...

I had one merchant who used this technique, so I could only use their banners..

If you check out our api, we resize all merchant images and offer url's that can be dynamically called with 5 different image sizes. We have no problem handling images that large either (16 server cluster of quad/quad core xeons).

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread