What do you do when you encounter outdated creatives?
    Especially if its a product that you especially want to promote because it fits your site that well, but the creatives are outdated (by like 2 years). I don't expect I can make any progress on getting new creatives made as its an inhouse program that doesn't impress me as well tended for multiple reasons...

But if I were an optimist, how do you go about trying to extract new creatives from the people running the program? Or what do you do when you encounter outdated creatives?
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

I usually just move on to Merchant B.

But if I'm hell-bent on promoting Merchant A, I just go ahead and make something to suit my needs. Saves time playing email tag for days and sometimes being left hanging on empty promises. Plus gives the advantage of being the only affiliate who has creative to promote certain categories or product lines.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

It's rare I use a default creative. 99% of the time they don't fit in or match my site, so I'll create my own (with respect of making it look nice and in-line with the style of creative they offer). So as long as the clicks are counting, then it's of little issue to me.

Only once (well twice, sister sites) have I designed layouts with pre-made creatives in mind. Or much less the space to accommodate typical creatives/sizes.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Guess is hard staying optimistic lol but I reaaaaaaally try to find the product somewhere else and usually have been able to find it at Amazon. Am guessing you've already tried to do that, though. Guess you've tried to contact the affiliate manager or maybe even the merchant themselves.

What you described unless it's converted well for me reaaaaallly leaves me not trusting the program at all anymore. Figure if they can't do a fairly simple thing like providing the creatives they're probably not doing a very good job with other aspects of the program either and really leaves me wondering if tracking could be one of those things.

Have been times where I've made my own links for a program (not the banners, cos I don't know how to but asked if I could use their images and then link to them. Always ask first since I have encountered merchants that won't let ya do that. ) Never works out very well tho since they move the products around, don't bother to tell me and then I end up with broken links.

Good luck with it

Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with making something of my own.
    Matt Bidinger

If their creatives haven't been updated in 2 years, then there's no-one driving the boat. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find comparable products on an actively managed program.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Ya. That's sort of how this company operates as I have a lot of experience with them, its a sorta exceptional situation. Their only competitor for the service they provide charges 300% their price, but the product is a drop in equivalent - without any of the bells and whistles, barebones, but excellent and identical in their core features. Lot's of people go with the premium service, but many don't care about the shiny and this company has a reputation for what they are good at in the space.

There are other cheap competitors, and I've got them included as non-primary offerings, but their service doesn't compare favorably at all - this one hits the price point, its high quality, and it converts so its one of my featured options. There's basically 2 quality companies in the space, then a bunch of others that are crap.

Essentially, thats why I was looking to see if anyone had tricks for milking creatives, or what opinions were on the subject. It made me want to go elsewhere also.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; October 1st, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
    Matt Bidinger

We create our creatives at a site for $20 each so I think that's a worthy investment if the company is taking forever or unwilling.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread