Not quite an affiliate program
    I own a website that is setup to get highly targeted home improvement traffic. I think that it would be a great advertising resource for affiliates that work in any kind of home improvement niche. How do I find them so that I can see if there is any interest, (or if I am way out in left field)?

Thanks for your help.

(I am assuming that posting a link to the site is a no-no, so I have left it out.)

How much traffic is there and how targeted is it?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Are you the merchant? Are you a dropshipper?

It's kind of a unique situation. Otherwise, I would just try a traditional ad service.

Basically, we are a service company with a very broad home improvement focus. (I can't really get too specific without promoting the company.) In time, it will be a national service, but for now, we are set to launch in October in a major metro area, plus surrounding suburbs, etc.. So, technically, we have no traffic yet.

However, the plan is to pre-sell the ad space in order to raise money to do local radio advertising and some local cable television advertising. (We have a campaign lined up with a radio station that does very, very well in the home improvement space.) And our market testing has shown a very positive response to the service.

In other words, we should be bringing in a healthy amount of traffic from our media buys. We want to pre-sell the ad space at a discount to help fund our media campaigns.

I think that advertisers who take a look at the opportunity will find it worthwhile, but I can't figure out the most effective way to find them. (We are a small startup, so our expertise is thin in many areas.)

For the record, we are currently "cold-calling" individual prospects, but I am looking for a good place to advertise our advertisement space to a targeted audience, (i.e. people who truly understand the value of getting highly targeted leads who have an extremely high OCI).
    Last edited by busiSteve; September 30th, 2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clarity

What if the media outlets you plan on advertising with told you that they don't have any listeners/viewers yet, but they plan on buying ad space on some websites as soon as they can presell some spots. Figure out what it would take for somebody to get you to crack your own wallet open to them for a proposition like that; that's what it's going to take to get your slots pre-sold.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

davidh,

It's not about what it would take to get someone to crack open their wallet. We are willing to discount the ad space (based on the projected traffic). It's about even finding people en masse to give our pitch. Obviously, not everyone will be willing to take the risk, but I think that there will be enough interest from people who see the full pitch IF we can get it in front of them.

We've done as much market research as possible to determine that when we run our ads, the traffic WILL come in. We have case studies of advertisers on the same radio station in highly related markets with the numbers that bear out advertising dollars versus actual PAYING customers. Obviously, nothing guaranteed, but we have also test marketed our particular service and have gotten very positive results.

We are trying to be upfront with anyone that we work with that it's a partnership/investment, but we believe that the payoff will be there in the end.

Obviously, we take a good long swig of our own kool-aid every morning, but I don't think that we are completely off our rocker.

This is just one of our creative ideas for bootstrapping our startup. If this really is a garbage idea, then please let us know. There's nothing worse than wasting time on something that's never going to work.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I get approached by companies all the time that want me to project where an affiliate program will be in five years. This is for a new launch!

When I speak to a new merchant who wants to immediately jump into an affiliate program I ask them what their conversion is, average order and gross revenue from the site. I get responses of what it will be after they launch. You can't sell vaporware to affiliates and stay in this business very long.

Why don't you start by buying paid local search, prove your concept and then sell ad space. Otherwise this is vaporware.

OK, I am getting the message loud and clear: affiliates are NOT investors.

Thanks for saving me some time.

9. Thanks From:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread