ABW Ambassador
    For Merchants On GAN
    LEAVE, or at least open up on another network. Or put some pressure on them to fix their lingering problems. This kind of thing:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: Google.................................

Should be unacceptable to you. You're paying right? Demand that the network actually works like it's supposed too. Because I guess threads and posts pointing out the problem don't seem to do the trick and the problem just lingers for months on end. It's annoying as hell trying get around on this network.

ABW Ambassador
    Agree 100%, It's become such a pain to deal with, that I'm not promoting GAN merchants as much due to it. Why waste time when I can just find another merchant with another network and promote them without the hassle.

3. Thanks From:

Let's not forget the gazillions of links that now redirect to a Google 404 error page instead of the intended destination.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

5. Thanks From:

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hi,

Trust, I'd like to look into this but having trouble reproducing it. I thought we'd fixed these issues when we had switched all the pages to the New version. Can you give a bit more information? What version of Firefox are you running? Which tab does this error happen on? Slow javascript could be due to an old version of Firefox (before 3.5), a very old computer, or a firefox extension which slows down javascript (such as Firebug). If I can identify the cause, it'll be easier to fix.

The 404s are for links where the advertiser has left the network and is no longer paying commissions. I will look into the motivation behind that and post here again with what I find.

Thanks,
    Brian

ABW Ambassador
    I will add it is extreamely annoying when trying to get links from GAN merchants. GAN make the interface so cumbersome that I finally gave up adding new links onto my sites.

Since the traditional version is not available anymore. the "Advertisers" link become completely useless. A simple list of "my merchants" will be a lot more helpful than the current setting.

8. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Other problems/changes that are not very good:

1. As documented elsewhere, no impressions, clicks or sales from any Target links built with the new product link generator; This may be happening with other merchants as well.

2. In Reports > Creative > Links: In the old system, you could click through the link/product name to the merchant's landing page and test whether the product was still available and at the same price. Now, they are no linger clickable links to the page.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

The 404s are for links where the advertiser has left the network and is no longer paying commissions.
    4checks and Dr. Jays (just two merchants off the top of my head whose links are affected) are both active/live on GAN as far as I know. GAN has screwed around with several different link formats lately, but when you change from one to the other, the least you could do is forward the old links to their rightful destination and not just pull the carpet out from under your clients. That traffic belongs to your clients, not to Google.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

11. Thanks From:

If I could add my two cents worth - affiliates are not notified of MAJOR changes in datafeeds.

Overnight, one of my feeds went from a 23MB file to 500MB. I don't have development resources to address this type of change from one day to the next, so the store has been pulled for now.

GAN really needs to become more affiliate-friendly and maintain a standard of accountability if they want to attract affiliates. Without publishers, there are no sales.

13. Thanks From:

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello Teezone,

Here is the notification we sent early September and in our monthly Publisher September newsletter regarding feed changes: Google Affiliate Network Newsletter

Have you looked into using the product API? From the API, you should be able to query the advertisers/products you'd want to promote on your site. http://googleaffiliatenetwork-blog.b...affiliate.html

Thank you,

Jamie
    Last edited by Google Affiliate Network Moderator; October 3rd, 2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: adding entire API link

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Google Affiliate Network Moderator View Post
    Hi,

Trust, I'd like to look into this but having trouble reproducing it. I thought we'd fixed these issues when we had switched all the pages to the New version. Can you give a bit more information? What version of Firefox are you running? Which tab does this error happen on? Slow javascript could be due to an old version of Firefox (before 3.5), a very old computer, or a firefox extension which slows down javascript (such as Firebug). If I can identify the cause, it'll be easier to fix.

The 404s are for links where the advertiser has left the network and is no longer paying commissions. I will look into the motivation behind that and post here again with what I find.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Firefox 3.6.23, tried again, first time about 19 seconds, second time 40 seconds. The other day was frustrating because I went in just to get a home page text link and had the stuff I posted above, however..........

I finally added my Roboform to Chrome and just tried it and just took like 3 seconds and was actually pretty smooth.

Think I'll just start using that browser since Firefox has just become heavy and slow.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I also use Firefox 3.6.23 but because logging into GAN throws my Gmail window I tried to open GAN in Safari. It locked up due to the scripts, finally closed it and just used Firefox 3.6.23.

Here is the notification we sent early September
    I stand corrected, there was initial notification - thanks for clearing that up.

It would be helpful to have a schedule for specific merchants though - adding 160k duplicate products overnight (which is what happened here) can cause affiliates to be penalized in search engines.

The product API looks handy, but it would require development costs to implement.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread