Browser, Session or Cookie Activity Recorder
    Recently, we experienced a significant drop at a specific merchant program. Nothing on our end changed. We normally run 12-18% conversion rate $200+ EPC. Today, 3% conversion, $85 EPC.

After following a few of our banner links, we noticed that upon landing at the merchant site, the headers (Not the entire page) will automatically refresh after 2-3 seconds on the page.

For example -

1 - We Dump all Cookies, or open a different browser.
    2 - Click a site banner to merchant site
    3 - URL looks correct, start reviewing page.
    4 - 2-3 seconds after page load has completed, we noticed the "Tab" section on FF or Chrome refreshing the page title for a second time, with the favicon spinning like it does during a load activity.

We have never noticed this type of "refresh" activity in the past and have been featuring the same program for +2 years with no issue. In addition, if we follow the same banner twice or more during the same session, there is no refresh either, its ONLY on a fresh cookie, and only on the first click.

From what I can tell, its definitely not a SAS issue, its specific to the merchant. Does anyone know of a FF add on, or a headers tracking utility that we can use to see what may be causing the reload to occur? If so, any tips on using the tool to diagnose the issue?

Thanks in advance,

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Can you post the merchant so we can evaluate?

Thanks Chuck - I will send a DM instead of mentioning the merchant on the forum.

Doesn't help. others need to see this to help.

I appreciate the guidance, I prefer to speak to the Merchant directly versus putting it into the forum. I have a call into them already, just waiting on the return call.

Trying a bit of self diagnosis to kill the waiting time.

Thanks again,

Mark

No problem. I am not getting this to the extent that you describe, maybe one refresh as the page loads. I tried it in FireFox 3.6.23, IE 9.0.8 and Safari 5.0.2. Running Live HTTP headers I can see they run Google Analytics and tracker.marinsm.com. That could be causing issues with your browser. Have you tried running in safe mode?

Thanks for running it through Chuck. That browser refresh you are referring to, if you drop all cookies to the merchant after the page loads, close the browser and click over again, it repeats the refresh all over again on my end.

I'm leaning that it must be design... possibly with the tracking pixel or something else having to load, who knows.

Thanks again for the second set of eyes on it. I have the live headers add on installed to FF as well, it doesn't show anything changing.

Mark

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread