Wish I understood why products go "inactive"
    Now it looks like there were big changes from Sears causing many inactive products. However, when I check the products, they're still available and almost all at the same price with same description. I know I sound like a broken record, but Popshops lists the following instances when inactive products show up:

1- product has been removed from feed
    2- merchant is no longer active in Popshops
    3- problem with feed and product was dropped
    4- merchant changed the unique ID for the item

Do unique ID's change frequently? I wouldn't think so. I'm not complaining about doing the work to keep my shops updated when products are really gone. But when they're still there in the same form, then this is just wasted time.

Wish I understood WHY so many inactives. If anyone can explain, I'd love to hear from you.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

ABW Ambassador
    I wish I have the answer for you Joyaz. It puzzles me all the time too. My own solution is to leave it alone until I have nothing else better to do...

Your problem is you're using popshops.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Popshops is worthwhile ... I'm making a heck of a lot more money now that I can provide actual product links on my affiliate sites. NO comparison.

But my point is there must be something that could be done about this ongoing issue. Not here to bash Popshops - it's still an amazing tool for a lot of us.

There are plenty of scripts that you can put datafeeds on your sites with that you don't have to pay a monthy fee to use.

ABW Ambassador
    Agree, we all have the option to use PopShops or not. It's a great service for me.

I'm not sure why the inactives happen with certain updates but I find the same merchants seem to be repeat offenders. Two weeks ago, I contacted PopShops about a merchants datafeed where all their products were showing as inactive. PopShops contacted the merchant about the problem and it was finally corrected. Yesterday, the feed was updated and now all their products are inactive again. Obviously, something the merchant is doing is breaking the feed.

joyaz - I wish I understood why this happens too. One reason is so I could contact the merchants directly and clearly explain what they are doing wrong.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    There are plenty of scripts that you can put datafeeds on your sites with that you don't have to pay a monthy fee to use.
    That's very true but I don't think joyaz was wanting to change services but simply looking for answers to why datafeeds don't always update properly.

I know- but - it seems like you'all are always having problems with popshops - so - is it really worth all of the problems when there are other solutions that you won't have any problems with.

ABW Ambassador
    I think we just want to pull our hair out when a merchants datafeed goes wrong because PopShops allows us to see every one of those inactive products. But is it really the norm? I am currently pulling about 100 merchant datafeeds through PopShops, of that 100, only 2 datafeeds are currently messed up. So that's a pretty good stat to me.

I will also add that even though the 2 datafeeds are messed up, the product links are still working properly and landing on the correct pages.

I know it must be hard for you when your feeds go bad. I guess it's just part of the game.

Hi Joyaz,

Quote Originally Posted by joyaz View Post
    Do unique ID's change frequently? .
    Yes, merchant feeds do change as you know, and they do change their SKU IDs and availability especially when they are doing a major update to their feed. Which has been the case with a few merchants recently.

Best regards,

Michelle

Hi msladybug,

Could you send me an email to support@popshops.com so I can contact them again?

Thanks.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
    I contacted PopShops about a merchants datafeed where all their products were showing as inactive. PopShops contacted the merchant about the problem and it was finally corrected. Yesterday, the feed was updated and now all their products are inactive again.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I know- but - it seems like you'all are always having problems with popshops - so - is it really worth all of the problems when there are other solutions that you won't have any problems with.
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. It seems to be poor quality / no QC checking on datafeeds by the merchants, which is NOT PopShops fault.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG View Post
    Hi msladybug,

Thanks.
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle - I wanted to check to see if the problem has been resolved today but PopShops is showing as down for maintenence right now. So, I'll send an email once I'm able to login. Will PopShops be down for maintenence long? Odd that it's this time of day.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
    Hi Michelle - I wanted to check to see if the problem has been resolved today but PopShops is showing as down for maintenence right now. So, I'll send an email once I'm able to login. Will PopShops be down for maintenence long? Odd that it's this time of day.
    I was wondering the same thing. It has been down since this morning.

Our engineering team is working on getting the site out of maintenance mode as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. Please be aware that your data is completely safe and will be available to you once the site is off maintenance mode.

Best,

Michelle

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG View Post
    Hi msladybug,

Thanks.
    Michelle
    Michelle - Just sent an email to support. Thanks!

It seems like I am constantly updating the same feeds day after day. This week it has been Blair and Woodwind and Brasswind. Day after day!
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup View Post
    It seems like I am constantly updating the same feeds day after day. This week it has been Blair and Woodwind and Brasswind. Day after day!
    I know the feeling! It's a lot like that movie ... Groundhog Day.

I would have quit a long time ago had I not been making money at this ... and seeing sales increase over the years. Over all, it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup View Post
    Woodwind and Brasswind has been EVERY DAY since I posted this and now I've done All Aboard Toys 3 days in a row. This gets real aggravating.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread