I have gotten my first datafeed working, thanks to Akiva.

Now the big question is, should I just allow the products to appear dynamically or should I create static pages using something like webmerge? I downloaded the demo and frankly, I am not terribly impressed. I am sure I can make it worth my while if I purchase it just by LEARNING all that it does.

If its purely numbers game, then the more pages the better and static is the way to go. I would surely appreciate some feedback from folks who have a better grasp of this AM thing!

http and a telephoto
    There is a very good WebMerge tutorial in the Fun to Collect forum that explains how to set up WebMerge to use the Fun To Collect feed, which is pretty close to how the other feeds Akiva offers are set up.

If you don't want to go the WebMerge route then the PSC is the next great page maker to use I had lots of fun adding pages to a Gifts for Animal lovers site using the PSC since I belong to most of the programs he has set up on it. I should know in a couple of days if people are clicking through....

Deborah
    http://loxlygallery.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If its purely numbers game, then the more pages the better and static is the way to go. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's never "purely" a numbers game. Even 10 million pages won't help if there's some fatal flaw going on. What are fatal flaws? Pages so bad that only a few people will click through, merchants selling lots of things that nobody wants anyway, bad SEO, bad product titles, feeds full of out-of-stocks, etc.

Once you get by that kind of thing, the more the merrier! Usually.

Some product categories sell better with lots of pages than others. And like any kind of page, some will sit there and sell nothing while others will be producing sales all over the place.

As for dynamic pages, I'll defer that to those with dynamic sites. I can say that I've been satisfied with the performance of most of my WebMerge sections.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

The beauty of dynamic sites is if you want to make changes that will affect all pages you only have to change one or two files - with huge static sites you would have to regenerate all the pages.

My datafeed sites are too new to give feedback on how well they perform.

I've tried both methods, and personally I prefer to work with dynamic sites.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Some SSI can make changing WebMerge pages a lot easier. That way you only have to change one file to change something like the banners.

You are indeed outta luck and have to rerun the pages if you want to do a big redesign or if what's in the feed changes, though.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

I started using datafeeds about a year ago and was using a "webmerge like" tool that I wrote. I was using SSI to manage global changes. From there I started to use more and more PHP scripting but I had to upload the pages to see what they looked like.

I since have taught myself php/mysql and I find it a lot easier and more flexible.

One of my first datafeed sites using my "webmerge like tool" is still my best money maker. I have a similar site using php/mysql that makes less than half of that first site.

Webmerge is a great tool and people are successful with it. It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. If done correctly the search engines or your users won't be able to tell how you built the pages. The tools are only as good as the user.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

There are options; the problem is most people cannot afford them. In my opinion Webmerge is a starter, when you make enough to play in the big boys arena there are better programs out there.

Most people here are thankful to even get into the datafeed game, and they have webmerge to thank for it.

SandraR<font color="red"></font>
    <font face="Arial" size="1">ArtGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">AutoGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">BookGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">CleanGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GameGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GiftGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">PetGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1">
    </font><font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't seen personal evidence that static pages "is the way to go" as far as search engines are concerned. I have many, many thousands of dynamically-generated pages in Google, so I'm not too concerned about this issue. For ease of incorporating new feeds and for the routine updating and revisions of pages, I prefer the simplicity of altering and uploading a single ASP file.

When I first started my book review index, I needed to make pages from data I collected in an Access database on my hard drive. Using queries & macros I wrote out each record into its own html file. Thousands and thousands of files that I then uploaded to the server. I gather that this is what Webmerge is all about.

My friend, an ASP guru, chuckled when she saw what I was doing. She gave me a simple ASP script showing how to connect to a database on a server and retrieve a couple of records. From building on the knowledge gained from that little sample script, I've built all my sites and can incorporate any database that comes along.

I think my advice would be this: If Webmerge does it all for you without having to learn ANY programming, and not being a programmer appeals to you then Webmerge sounds like a perfect fit.
    If, on the other hand, you have to learn some basic programming skills just to make the program work, then I'd suggest continue learning enough to create your own dynamic pages. The knowledge that you gain can be applied to more than just incorporating merchant datafeeds.

Wayne

"...play in the big boys arena there are better programs out there."

Like what?

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If you don't want to go the WebMerge route then the PSC is the next great page maker to use I had lots of fun adding pages to a Gifts for Animal lovers site using the PSC since I belong to most of the programs he has set up on it. I should know in a couple of days if people are clicking through....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please tell me, what is PSC? Anybody can recommend products like Webmerge?
    [URL=http://messenger.softros.com]LAN messenger, IM chat[/URL] development | [URL=http://nts.softros.com]Sync network time[/URL] |

http and a telephoto
    WebMerge is the best route to go, but while you are learning or just for different pages and sites, some programs have PSC, or product store creator tools. They create the html one page at a time. Not all merchants have them. Do a search on PSC and I am sure you will have much to read. Most are offered by Akiva, but a bunch of programs are launching private label ones also.

I shouldn't have implied it was a replacement for WebMerge, since it is limited to specific merchants.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread