Facebook blocking affiliate links?
    There might already be a thread on this but I couldn't find it...sorry if this is a repost.

I have an affiliate that does not have a website of her own but has over 2000 facebook friends. I told her she could simply post the affiliate link on her profile- apparently that is not the case. When I tried it myself, I got this message from Facebook:

"The content you're trying to share includes a link that's been blocked for being spammy or unsafe:
    go2cloud.org
    For more information, visit the Help Center. If you think you're seeing this by mistake, please let us know. "

From other research I've done, Facebook blocks all affiliate links. The only way around this is to create a fan page - which we already have and would like to keep in house to preserve our branding. Any ideas on how she can promote her links on FB?

She could put up a site, set up a landing page on her site, and link to that.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Thru another url shortener type deal, bitly, tinyurl. Wouldn't that work?

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    I just received an email from an affiliate about a similar issue. She wants to use videos on her Facebook page and get the affiliate cookie to set. I had to test this since I didn't know. Here is my test:

Test #1: Custom SAS link to one of our Youtube videos:
    1. I created a custom SAS link with our Youtube video as the destination page.
    2. I pasted the raw custom URL into my personal Facebook status and a Fan page status.
    3. Normally, Facebook will recognize the URL and embed the video right on the Facebook wall so people can watch it without leaving. In this case, Facebook displayed the raw SAS URL with no video embed or other text.
    4. I was able to click through and it did track in SAS.

Test #2: Shortened version (hoot suite) of a Custom SAS link to one of our Youtube videos:
    1. I created a custom SAS link with our Youtube video as the destination page.
    2. I shortened that URL using HootSuite
    3. I pasted the shortened URL into my personal Facebook status and a Fan page status.
    4. Normally, Facebook will recognize the URL and embed the video right on the Facebook wall so people can watch it without leaving. In this case, Facebook displayed the shortened URL with no video embed or other text.
    5. I was able to click through and it did track in SAS.

Since the desired outcome of getting the video to embed into the Facebook wall did not result, here is my recommendation with using affiliate videos on Facebook:

Create a custom, shortened (I think SAS calls it the License plate URL) URL to the Youtube/Vimeo/other video you want to display. Paste that shortened URL to your Facebook status. Then, before you post it, you can edit the info in the section Facebook auto-generates so it is marketing copy instead of junk text:
    1. Click on the part of the auto-generated text you want to edit (it should highlight yellowish if you can edit it)

2. Type what you want and click out of it. Then click "Post" and you'll get a much cleaner-looking post than a raw URL.

Last edited by Patrick Vesperman; November 15th, 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Great info Patrick! Thanks for sharing your affiliates findings.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Facebook is terrible. They were even blocking j.mp for a while (regardless of where it went to) because of reported spam use.

But I've also encountered issues on Twitter. Direct links to CJ domains (shortened to t.co) have been known to produce spam/unsafe nag screens before proceeding.

uh, after i posted i just figured out that i stand completely corrected. sorry, nvmd. i thought i could not post a link w/ a referral id on facebook, but it turns out you can. it looked as though FB was stripping the referral id out of the URL, but it only appears that way, it still redirects out using the link i posted
    Last edited by Domains; January 2nd, 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Hi PushPin,

I think the best way to promo you affiliate links on fb is not to post the affiliate link directly, you should create appropriate landing page for that and link the affiliate link from that landing page. It will help for you if you are doing seo for that product or affiliate program also.

9. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread