I've seen a number of well run shopping sites that are nothing more than collections of dozens or hundreds of affiliate links, organized into many different categories and sub-categories.

However, they have solid PRs and appear to be well managed and generating results.

My question is, what are some tools one might use to manage such a site? Surely there's something that would make it much easier than doing so manually?

The sites tend to stick with CJ, Linkshare and Performics programs.

David Nguyen
    Nexus Imports, LLC
    http://www.nexusimports.com/affiliates/index.shtml

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> appear to be well managed and generating results.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Appear" is the key. Some of them are well-managed, but if you check some others you'll find programs that died ages ago.

It's fairly easy to keep a few of these sites going but it can get overwhelming if the same person is chasing after a lot of them.

I would expect that usually there are datafeeds being used, along with either a programming language or a software being deployed to actually generate the pages.

As for whether they produce any money, what a site looks like has surprisingly little to do with it. I've had super-plain sites do well and "well-designed" sites suck like an Electrolux!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

ABW Ambassador
    Nexus,

There are many 'merging' or datafeed scripts out there that spit out 1000's of pages with loads of links. These are often poorly maintained because of the volume of pages that need to be uploaded to a server. Some scripts i have seen create 50Mb of pages! Yikes!

The best way to maintain a lot of links is with a database. Create your site, then update a database for pricing, linking, descriptions and the catalog. Personaly, I even put my content in a database so I can update anything without having to touch an FTP tool. I dont think you will find a 'tool' to do this.

What kind of database is a good start to look at?

There seems to be a proliferation of these sites which, at first glance, appear to be nothing more than link farms.

However, upon further inspection, it seems many have high PRs, good organization (defined categories) and boxes for joining mailing lists to receive notices for special offers from the merchants.

In other words, the affiliates are doing a lot of promotion and retention. It seems to me that at least some of these sites would at least have a) solid traffic from search engines and b) decent conversions provided the merchants they support are good closers.

Any thoughts?

David Nguyen
    Nexus Imports, LLC
    http://www.nexusimports.com/affiliates/index.shtml

A good database to start with is Access. some will say MySQL, it's a matter of preference. I use Access with an ASP vbscript front-end.

I haven't tried Access, but I can say that mySQL (along with PHP) is an excellent database to get going with.

On the other hand, if you're just looking to make a link directory, the script that you're looking for may already exist. The PHP Resource Index has quite a few pre-written link mangagement scripts. Here's a link:
    http://php.resourceindex.com/Complet...s_and_Portals/

I was able to create a database site with Web- Bazaar's Link Doctor. The database was create and updated using Microsoft Excel. The output HTML pages are customizable via any HTML editor. So you can maintain your site's look and feel.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

So you want to go the database route ?
    you can do a lot with
    Visual FoxPro and/or mySql .
    Access is not the tool to use .

In any event -
    you can generate html code with VFP programming using VFP tables or mySql tables, OR generate
    html code with php scripting against a VFP or mySql Database.

I do it all the time, utilizing VFP as a content management system, coupled with some custom code that I've written to generate the static html pages. SO ? Anytime I want to generate something different or new ? punch a button and it's put on my web server.

It's not really the 'datafeed' concept - but the concept of using a real database engine to generate the html code when YOU want, as YOU want.

What does VFP stand for?

VFP = Visual FoxPro
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've had super-plain sites do well and "well-designed" sites suck like an Electrolux! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that is good since I can't do a "well-designed" site if my life depended on it!

I can clearly avoid the "suck like an Electrolux" penalty with grace and ease.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread