New LS Publisher Agreement Question
    I have a question about Section 5.5, Privacy Policy:
    You will ensure that any and all Sites employed by You in connection with Your participation in any LinkShare Network or any LinkShare-tracked Engagement will feature an easy-to-understand privacy policy, linked, at a minimum, conspicuously from such Site's home page, with a link that contains the word "Privacy", "Legal", "Terms" or similar language. Such privacy policy shall, in addition to the disclosures about Your privacy practices, identify the collection, disclosure and use of any information related to an end user that You provide or may provide to LinkShare and to any Network Advertiser or other Sites or persons with which You have any LinkShare-tracked Engagement or other arrangement in relation thereto. Such privacy policy shall also provide information on your use of tracking devices, such as but without limitation to, cookies, including tracking devices enabled by LinkShare at your request on your behalf. Your website will also include all legally required information regarding your use of tracking devices, such as cookies, including where required, information regarding the removal of cookies and other tracking devices. < snip >
    My concern is about the part "...including where required, information regarding the removal of cookies and other tracking devices." I'm sure this has been brought up before, but couldn't find the info here.

Are affiliates legally required in the U.S. to include info on how to remove cookies in privacy policies?

(Mods: please post where appropriate)
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Mark Welch posted sample, or link to sample privacy policy
    @Renee: This is something I should have done, one year ago, but, finally did, several months ago, on all of my web sites. And now, LS has their requirement going into effect, tomorrow. I think I am all set. There are some threads, somewhere on ABW, about Privacy Policies. Links to one or 2 examples. I believe the one I modified was posted by Mark Welch, or he had a link to one, that I copied and modified.

Yes, I believe it is a requirement that the Privacy Policy tell the visitors that they can disable cookies in their web browsers. And, that that may cause them problems, as they continue to surf.

It would take an attorney, who specializes in this, to word the Privacy Policy more or less perfectly, but I believe if your Privacy Policy covers most or all of the bases, that is the idea. GL

Lanny, I put up a privacy policy that covers the bases a long time ago & even a terms of service page, that isn't my question. It's:

Are U.S. affiliates legally required to provide info about how to remove cookies in privacy policies?

which was based on this in LS's new agreement, which vaguely seems to indicate we should provide such info (where required):
    Your website will also include all legally required information regarding your use of tracking devices, such as cookies, including where required, information regarding the removal of cookies and other tracking devices.
    Renée

@Renee - Yes, I believe that is required
    I believe that is required in the Privacy Policy, but, I am not positive about that. Here are 2 links I found in a file I saved on my hard drive that possibly may be of help:

Does LinkShare have a sample Privacy Policy for Publishers to start from? - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

New AdSense privacy policy with interest based targeting included « JenSense

This is what I have in my Privacy Policy, regarding what I believe is addressed by your question/concern:

"Choice/Opt-out

You may choose to block the collection of some information by our advertisers, by configuring your web browser to refuse to accept or return "cookies," or by utilizing third-party "Internet Security" software which may block some third-party advertising and some trackable links to third-party web sites. If you use this technology, you will not see some relevant content seen by other visitors to this web site, because your software will edit, delete, or alter the content as it is loaded into your computer."

As I wrote earlier, I believe I copied/modified a sample Privacy Policy that had been posted by Mark Welch some time back. I used most of that, with some modifications. GL

Lanny, thank you so much for your patience. Today my brain is very tired, just one of those days I feel very dumb.
    Renée

@Renee - You are not dumb, just tired
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Lanny, thank you so much for your patience. Today my brain is very tired, just one of those days I feel very dumb.
    No problem. If I helped you, I am happy that I could do that. You are *not* dumb. Maybe tired, but *not* dumb.

I have some other things on my hard drive about Privacy Policies, but the power company is going to turn the power off for most of the day today, to do infrastructure improvements, so I can't hunt for them, at this time.

If there is anything else I can help you with regarding Privacy Policies I will try to do that on Friday (the 7th). Certainly I am *NOT* an expert with Privacy Policies. Very complicated, with the legal stuff.

This box is dual boot (Linux and Windows). Possibly on the Windows side I have the original file that I copied and modified. If so, if it would help you, I can try to find that and if I can find it, I can post it on Dropbox for you on Friday the 7th.

It is far more inclusive than anything I could have come up with on my own, and so I used much of it and stripped out the parts I didn't think applied to my web sites.

Good that we are concerned about this, because if LS checks web sites of Publishers and finds that they do not have a Privacy Policy page, I suspect they will take some kind of action. GL, Lanny

Thank you mucho, that paragraph was exactly what I needed. Just one of those days where I had to read too many different types of info and some brain cells went on strike.
    Renée

8. Thanks From:

Cool Glad I could help!
    @Renee De nada (your'e welcome). Cool that I could help someone with many more posts on ABW than myself! I'm learning so much on ABW, from those like you who are not Newbies.

If you decide that you would like me to hunt for the original document that I copied and modified, I will hopefully be able to find it.

The power company is working in our subdivision by areas today, so they haven't turned off the power in our section yet.

Newbie FAQs: Privacy Policy Statement & Terms and Conditions
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/newbi...ns-141872.html

The second post is by Mark Welch, on 15 February 2011 and contains the text of the Privacy Policy he used.

I copied that, modified it somewhat, and used it for the Privacy Policy pages I created for each of my web sites.

Thank you Mark Welch!

Possibly this will help someone reading this thread and interested in Privacy Policies.

11. Thanks From:

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread