Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Anybody Have Cool 404 Pages?
    Just saw a tweet on one and I actually bookmarked another. And it's a good idea most people don't do. A funny 404 page that can get you some traffic, couple of examples:

    http://lookitsme.co.uk/404

    Nosh - 404: Page Not Found

    Anybody know of any other good ones?

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,477
    LOL. Never thought about that. I'm wondering how amny people will stay watch the entire show and still go back to the homepage...

  3. #3
    Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    622
    Just one question - do we really want to put our time and effort into our 404 pages? Is that an appropriate page to build links to?

    Not sure where I stand on this yet, but just posing the question for discussion.

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Vesperman View Post
    Just one question - do we really want to put our time and effort into our 404 pages? Is that an appropriate page to build links to?

    Not sure where I stand on this yet, but just posing the question for discussion.
    Well, depends how much time you're talking about. Those, they put some effort into. I'm sure some people can come up with something funny that doesn't take much time.

    But is it worth it? Possibly. I wouldn't have known about those sites except for those pages. Most will probably just stop at those pages but if just a few check out the rest of the site, that could lead to sales, that might lead to a life long customer and how much money could that be? It's viral type stuff, traffic. It's one way links in to your site, that's never bad. Somebody might find the site because of that 404 page, check the rest out and maybe tell somebody about it, blog about it (another link in) maybe they're a reporter. Just all kinds of possibilities, just from a little one time effort.

    If you're a merchant, maybe put a Deal Of The Day on those 404s, something to grab those visitors.

    My 404s are probably just like most, not much there. But something for me to think about.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador daiarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Wales
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Just saw a tweet on one and I actually bookmarked another. And it's a good idea most people don't do. A funny 404 page that can get you some traffic, couple of examples:

    http://lookitsme.co.uk/404

    Nosh - 404: Page Not Found

    Anybody know of any other good ones?
    I have heard about 404 pages but never done anything about them so how would I implement one of these into my WP sites.

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    I have heard about 404 pages but never done anything about them so how would I implement one of these into my WP sites.
    I think most Wordpress themes will have a 404 template file where you can go in and edit. As far as creating one on your own if there isn't one there, this page gives some good details on how to do that - http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_an_Error_404_Page

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador daiarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Wales
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    I think most Wordpress themes will have a 404 template file where you can go in and edit. As far as creating one on your own if there isn't one there, this page gives some good details on how to do that - Creating an Error 404 Page WordPress Codex
    Thanks for the info

  8. #8
    Full Member bobby131313's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2007
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    550
    Ever seen the rare 404 Morgan dollar?

  9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Featured: How to Deal with 404 and 302 Error Pages
    By Packy in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM
  2. 404 Pages
    By Doug247 in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
  3. Google Beta Tool Bar & 404 Error Pages
    By glittered in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 18th, 2008, 03:31 AM
  4. Programming 404 pages from expired blog entries
    By Rhia7 in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 26th, 2007, 02:10 AM
  5. 404 pages
    By davidh in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •