I'm a merchant with a new affiliate program and am providing both a datafeed and PSC to my affiliates.

For those who choose not to use PSC, what programs do most affilates use to easily create product pages using datafeeds?

I'd like to take a look at these programs in order to have a better understanding of the needs of my affiliates in terms of how to structure my datafeed.

Thanks.
    Carla
    www.babyclassroom.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like a very focused site for those Mommy/Poppa/Grandma & Pa shoppers seeking educational products for the rug rats.

The PSC should work wonders when coupled with some nifty targeting text and merchant accolades.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Pay no attention to Mike, he's very anti-datafeeds.

I don't know that looking at the programs will help you much in my case, because I wrote them. Look into the scripts and webmerge because they will be the same for everyone that uses them. There are forums here for the people that sell scripts.

There are quite a few good threads in the Datafeeds forum on what Affiliate need or would like in a datafeed. Categories and clean data being top on my list.

What Zoe said. Most people still are running their own scripts I would guess.

Categories = meaningful names, ideally no more than maincat/subcat, certainly no more than one more layer deep

Clean Data = one line per record (no more, no less), no hard line breaks, no funny translations of special characters (fractions, currency, symbols)

Good-to-haves:

URLs thumbnail and larger sized images

URLs to your product detail page and to your cart

long description (all the detail you want) and a tailored short description (or we just have to truncate the small one

inclusion of anything shoppers may search on - that includes brands and manuf part numbers ... in their own fields

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuy™:
    Categories = meaningful names, ideally no more than maincat/subcat, certainly no more than one more layer deep
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    hehe, you'll get different answers from everybody. My personal preference is for the category structure to go as many levels deep as is required for easy browsing.

We have a unique solution you may be interested in.

What you do is import your datafeed into our ecommerce solution. You can then offer affiliates their own sites with your products. All orders happen on affiliate sites but in the background come to you. No need to worry about affiliate links. Another great advantage is all sites are controlled by one database so if you make a change to your database all of your affiliate sites are updated in real time. PM me if you want to know more details.

Regards,

Craig

I would never use it if I can't control tags and product descriptions.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Many affiliates, especially those without programming knowledge are also using WebMerge to generate pages from datafeeds.

The number of categories you put in your feed is directly related to the number of products in the feed. Any idea how many that might be?

Fred

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ....."We have a unique solution you may be interested in.

What you do is import your datafeed into our ecommerce solution. You can then offer affiliates their own sites with your products. All orders happen on affiliate sites but in the background come to you. No need to worry about affiliate links. Another great advantage is all sites are controlled by one database so if you make a change to your database all of your affiliate sites are updated in real time. PM me if you want to know more details."

This is what 5000 merchant posers have been doing for years. Problem is with security as a Russian or Asian cybercrime mob member can sign up for your program and scrap privacy and CC info from the carbon copy of every order. I have 3 Cybercrime sites for DA offices actually doing just this to verify the simplicity of taking a feed and scraping identity theft info from online shoppers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Yes many people have been doing datafeeds for years but not in this way. This opens up a whole other market for affiliates that aren't datafeed saavy. Ecom: not to sure what you are talking about...russia? Are you paranoid?

Affiliates have no access to orders. What I said is the orders happen on the affiliate site meaning they visitors aren't sent away via linking but they have no access to orders. ALl orders go to merchant.

SSanf : you as an affiliate can generate a static site so you could control what your title, tags etc say.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are you paranoid? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many people think so

Builtsmarter,

If you want to be more effective, you should start your own thread (Topic).

Fred

buy_online: thanks, i'll do that. Since my solution is more for merchants where should I start my thread? Where would be the most appropriate place?

Thanks

Hello babyclassroom.com,

1. The most cost effective way for new affiliates is WebMerge.
    2. Others utilize customized programs
    3. The rest develop their own programs.

For the most part a data feed needs the basics:
    Here is Pipe Delimited header I use for a site.

Category/Sub-category|Brand|Name|Publisher|
    Description|Retail_price|Sale_price|image|image_impression|
    buy_url|Category_Template|isbn|author|audio_length|
    sample_mwp|sample_real|Stock_Status|Color|keywords

Sorry had to break that up!
    Hope this helps

Sent you a pm...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread