Best E-commerce Affiliate Networks
    It's been a while since I posted in here. I was in affiliate management years ago but moved on to SEO, PPC consulting & running some affiliate sites. A client of mine is interested in affiliate marketing for their E-commerce store, so I'm back in the affiliate management space.

They run a 15 year old E-commerce store selling everything from computers, cameras, printers, scanners, accessories, you name it. Good conversion rates and high order values. Think NewEgg.com but smaller and much less brand recognition.

They want to test the waters with affiliate marketing before committing to a huge upfront investment. It's been a while since I was looking at networks and thought ShareaSale might be a good network with a lower upfront investment than say a CJ or LinkShare.

I would certainly appreciate any advice or direction on any other networks that might be a good fit for an established E-commerce site that would like to start with lower upfront costs for an affiliate program.

Thanks!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Shareasale would be a good place to start. The setup costs are minimal. There is also an OPM forum section on ABW who you can contact for advice.

Thanks for the advice. I also tried contacting MyAP but haven't heard from them yet. Seems like SAS would be a decent one to get started with.

My only worry is that some of the retail affiliates in the industry might not like SAS as a network. In your experience, do computer and electronic affiliates support SAS and promote merchants on that network?

Quote Originally Posted by Subes222 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I also tried contacting MyAP but haven't heard from them yet. Seems like SAS would be a decent one to get started with.

My only worry is that some of the retail affiliates in the industry might not like SAS as a network. In your experience, do computer and electronic affiliates support SAS and promote merchants on that network?
    Sure they do. From my experience, most successful affiliates are on more than one network, they go where there's money to be earned.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

5. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    It may be worth your while considering PepperJam rather than Shareasale considering the business is long established with robust non affiliate channels already in place.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Thanks for the advice John. Why Pepperjam over SAS in regards to a long standing (but less well-known) brand? Does Pepperjam offer a network as well? I guess what is the competitive advantage of Pepperjam over SAS?

If your merchant wants to really assess the affiliate space and has the inclination for a long term commitment to expand into affiliate marketing as an additional marketing channel, then looking for the cheapest option is not generally the best idea.

I find the Shareasale platform is fine, but is not as advanced as many UK network platforms. PepperJam is a reputable network like SAS but has the advantage of handling many leading Brands. This means that they can provide additional services and facilities that may not be available via SAS.

Take a look at PepperJam Tools | Pepperjam

PepperJam Recruit

PepperJam Exchange advertisers have access to all publishers on PepperJam Exchange, along with the ability to recruit them into their program. The Recruit Partners Tool allows advertisers to recruit publishers into their program based on the publisher’s category, promotional method, geographic location, or transparency rating. This industry leading tool gives PepperJam Exchange advertisers the power to research and partner with publishers who best fit their vertical.

Shareasale does not offer this function.

PepperJam Store Builder™

Allows publishers to create their own virtual store front, featuring products from numerous advertisers on PepperJam Exchange. Store Builder allows publishers to pull multiple data feeds, and combine them to create one store front. Publishers have the ability to customize their dynamic storefront with colors that match their website. Click here for an example of a Dynamic Store.

If you provide a datafeed then you are quids in. This is something some UK networks have provided for years. The Shareasale datafeed system is fine but without being tech savvy or using a third party, not as useful as this option.

If you haven't got a full tech/graphics team available: Creative Services | Pepperjam

PepperJam Exchange’s creative team produces current, unique and professional looking creatives to match your company’s brand aesthetic. Be it banner ads, emails, or landing page design – let our creative team take your program to the next level and boost loyalty with their innovative and outside-the-box approach to creative marketing.

First time I have heard anyone talk highly of PepperJam other than Chris Jones. Is this a function of the GSI purchase or are you a network rep?

lol

I have been an Affiliate Manager for years working with an agency and more recently for myself.

No network is a perfect fit as it depends on the sector and the product/service and whether the affiliate base on a specific network is sufficient to justify the investment.

I am happy to suggest a few other networks depending on the metrics. I just think that in the instance highlighted, that looking solely at a starter network like Shareasale would be retrograde.

Thanks John. Personally I analyze the top networks for competitors and home a program where they have the greatest density. Learned years ago while running a LS program for hosting that all the players were at CJ. No matter how hard I tried to get them to join the LS program they wouldn't. When we opened a parallel program at CJ it took off.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Subes222,

If you need any help researching ShareASale or learning about our features/tools just let me know and I'd be happy to show you around. Our core focus and strength of the network is niche retail with over 3,500 programs almost entirely in the retail % space.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks Brian and all for the advice. This project is on hold until early 2012 but will resume looking for a good network early January. I appreciate the help here, great advice from everyone. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread