Thumbs down HelloLife (MicroNutra) Pays me 0% Commission for sale!
    Dear (affiliate manager),

I recently made a sale of one of your Micronutra products from one of my web sites. I was disappointed to find that I received zero commission, instead of 37% that is promised on your Shareasale page.

https://shareasale.com/a-viewmerchan...rchantId=17010

https://shareasale.com/a-transdetail...ansID=31976153

Can you explain this discrepancy and see that I see to it that I receive the commission that your program promises?

Thank you for your attention.

gamweb61
    :coffeetim

Dear gamweb61:
    Thanks for the message. We have new terms that went into effect on August 18th. You can read a portion of the announcement further below in case you did not receive the original email notification dated August 11 or the newsletter reminder dated Sept 5.

Key points: "We will no longer partner with coupon/discount/deal websites(existing coupon/discount/deal websites will be removed from the program on September 15, 2011)"

"Effective August 18, 2011: Affiliates(new and existing) may not include HelloLife, a product name, or HelloLife/product name variations within any part of their domain name(s), URL(s), Title tag(s), Description meta-tag(s), and Keyword meta-tag(s)."

Note that on Sept 15 we removed or reduced to 0% many affiliates who did not meet the new requirements. We have been continuing that process. The URL that the sale was referred from does not meet the terms that went into effect Aug 18 (we began full enforcement of the terms on Sept 15). I'll give you 10% on that one, however you'll need to make the necessary adjustments to your pages in order to earn commissions in the future. Make the changes and I'll set you to 37%.

Your URLs and Title tags will need to change. Also we have not been MicroNutra for well over a year. We are now HelloLife. We no longer offer buy 3 get 3 free either.

So I can't mention the name of the product in the URL, Title or Meta Tags?

Another merchant to yank.

I was just informed that Vetionx (pet products) has established the same terms for affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    URLs and domain names I can understand but meta tags too? That's harsh. You are better off without them! Move on...
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I was just informed that Vetionx (pet products) has established the same terms for affiliates.
    Need to start a new thread for a different merchant so members can see the title with the merchants name.

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    URLs and domain names I can understand but meta tags too? That's harsh. You are better off without them! Move on...
    I agree. I can understand PPC restrictions, but I only use natural search engine traffic. Their new restrictions pretty much kill this merchant.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    gamweb61,

It's not terribly uncommon to have restrictions on meta-tags... often times it is the feeling of the Merchant that they can handle ranking for their own name and product name on their own. It depends on what kind of activities the Merchant is looking for through their Affiliate Program. Usually, with a policy change, there is some kind of abuse or problem that has happened that has forced the change overall - and unfortunately that also includes some affiliates getting caught in the crossfire.

This may not be acceptable to you - and if it isn't you can definitely remove yourself from the program and move on to a different one with terms that are acceptable to you.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Cool Vetionx
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    gamweb61,

It's not terribly uncommon to have restrictions on meta-tags... often times it is the feeling of the Merchant that they can handle ranking for their own name and product name on their own. It depends on what kind of activities the Merchant is looking for through their Affiliate Program. Usually, with a policy change, there is some kind of abuse or problem that has happened that has forced the change overall - and unfortunately that also includes some affiliates getting caught in the crossfire.

This may not be acceptable to you - and if it isn't you can definitely remove yourself from the program and move on to a different one with terms that are acceptable to you.
    I agree with you that if one does not like the smell in the kitchen, one can leave. The merchant defines their terms (and takes responsibility for the potential effects on their program).

That said, merchants should realize that having such "funny" restrictions will also in many cases limit them to affiliates that sit and manipulate every single page individually and manually. They are really saying:

We only want affiliates that just want to mention our product in a Wordpress post. And only if they do not mention us or our product in the topic of their post. [Which the CMS typically sticks in the title/meta by default]

If an affiliate has the ability to automate many of their processes, such as using your network's APIs to download information and create SEO styled pages automatically, such rules would in many cases shoot the automation.

I normally take a worst-case (read: most legal common denominator) to all the funny contracts I have to accept from merchants. This already in many ways severely limit both some of the optimizations I can do and PPC advertising, because sometimes the promotions for the more open merchants could (by specific merchant's contract terms) be more aggressive or effective.

For example: Because of all the many new rules merchants are adding now, I am entirely prohibited from ever running ANY kind of broad match type PPC campaign, if I wanted to. Even if I tried to make it work for only one merchant, and use only common search words (no merchant name involved at all), the necessary negative keywords I would have to add to the campaign to avoid violating some other merchant's exclusion terms range into the many thousands, and the networks do not provide any easy way to download the necessary negative words for each merchant so I can automate it. They are provided only as random, unusable text in the individual contracts. So, the very limiting terms of some merchants in effect impose a limitation on every other merchant involved, whether these merchants want it or not.

I also track in my databases a set of special "permissions" for each merchant, that tells my automation whether certain, normally valid, things are specifically "not allowed" to be shown on a web-page, and adjust outputs accordingly. Such as whether I can show certain prices, whether logos can be used, ..., ... It all takes time to watch for.

On metas/titles, I would tend to probably accept if a merchant said that their terms would not allow their name to be used in title/metas. Not really good, but acceptable. I can teach my systems to automatically work within that margin and avoid that.

But I would not want to teach my systems to not allow such basics as a product name to be used. I would rather boot the merchant from my system, and honestly personally believe that if they want to limit their affiliates that much, they should not have an affiliate program.

See my previous post on the Vetionx thread for other comments.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread