Thumbs down Vetionx: Affiliates not Allowed to use product names in Title, URL or Meta Tags
    Vetionx: Affiliates not Allowed to use product names in Title, URL or Meta Tags

No kidding! I was just informed by their affiliate manager. Supposedly an email went out in mid-August (I never received one, of course).

Violators will have their commission reduced to ZERO.

This is not regarding PPC, just natural search engine traffic.

Vetionx (Pet products) - another clueless merchant to drop.

:coffeetim

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks for starting a new thread as this parallels: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/share...le-149647.html

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by gamweb61 View Post
    Vetionx: Affiliates not Allowed to use product names in Title, URL or Meta Tags
    When a merchant goes this far to push down affiliates, it is typically because they have a VERY weak web/SEO/marketing team themselves..

Not allowing affiliates to create domains with a merchants name/trademarks is fully understandable.

But not allowing basic product information in the typical SEO spots simply indicate that instead of seeing it as an opportunity to recognize how to improve their own SEO and web-site optimization efforts, they think it will help their sales to simply try to push down competing web-sites (here their own affiliates). The merchant in general should be able to rank higher, since they most often have more detail level information to show on their site. Here, instead of fixing the root cause of their problem (bad optimization on their part), they try to limit others.

Bad judgement in my opinion.

In general I would say, find a merchant selling the same (type of ) products, join them, and start promoting the heck out of that merchant instead. Leave the old merchant to learn from their own mistakes.

In general I much dislike companies or people that swat at the symptoms of a problem, rather than fixing root-causes for the problem.

4. Thanks From:

I show a merchant how many more SERPs they get through affiliates organically ranking pages. As an example look just for the trademark. Then search trademark +product for their top sellers. Finally compare +product for their top sellers without trademark and see where they rank. If the merchant is 20+ down then their SEO sucks.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I show a merchant how many more SERPs they get through affiliates organically ranking pages. As an example look just for the trademark. Then search trademark +product for their top sellers. Finally compare +product for their top sellers without trademark and see where they rank. If the merchant is 20+ down then their SEO sucks.
    Good way to push the point..

I hope more merchants figure out that the combination of improving their own SEO (maybe even by studying the SEO efforts of the higher ranking affiliates), and allowing affiliates to rank based on their individual abilities, will in the end be an improvement to the merchant's bottom line.

In general, don't bite the hand that feeds you; and if you really do not like affiliates, then stop your affiliate program.

If an affiliate site, say a shopping site with 2M monthly uniques has 20k+ pages they will certainly outrank a merchant with 200 pages.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread