Hi Everyone -

I have been on the ABW boards for about 2 months now and have had the pleasure of speaking with Haiko. We are considering opening up a dedicated eBay.ca board but I just wanted to test the waters first.

About our program, eBay.ca offers affiliate partners $4.00 USD for each Confirmed Registered User (NOT active as with the eBay.com program) that comes from Canada or any country outside the current eBay network. Last month our top 5 affiliate partners generated:

1. $3541 USD
    2. $2395 USD
    3. $1199 USD
    4. $1105 USD
    5. $881 USD

In my opinion the program is great to generate a solid $275 USD (average) extra revenue per month which translates into about 69 new eBay.ca users. The issue we face is that most Canadians (1 in every 2 Canadian is online) shop on US based shopping sites. I believe that the opportunity exists to offer eBay.ca to those Canadian visitors.

From an AM perspective, I am fairly new and genuinely want to support all our affiliate partners. I have been working hard to answer all emails within 24hrs, provide timely creative and give you an avenue to reach me. I am writing this post to prove to my manager that there is value in creating a dedicated eBay.ca board on ABW. So, please feel free to contact me with any questions you have about the program.

Thanks Haiko for this great platform.

Sincerely,
    Eric Pierni
    epierni@ebay.ca
    www.eBay.ca

ABW Ambassador
    Eric,
    I for one am impressed to see anyone from eBay here...I've joined the .ca program, but have yet to implement the links due to the poor relationship publishers have had w/ the ebay.com AM. Since many of my site's visitors are from Canada, I thought it only logical to implement some .ca links alongside the .com links, but held off for the aforementioned reasons. If you stick around here, I'll definitely hop on board & I hope you can pull some strings to get the ebay.com AM over here as well

Supras | Celicas

Hi -

Thanks for the post. I will have to begin by standing up for my co-workers over at the .com program. I can assure you that they work hard to help constantly push the program and affiliate partner revenues forward. However, the sheer size of their program is almost terrifying.

As for myself and our eBay.ca program...you can trust that we are not going anywhere. We have had impressive growth in the past 3 months and the eBay.ca penetration in Canada is still young. eBay.ca only launched in 2000.

If you need any help in terms of a particular creative or questions about our program please feel free to email me.

I look forward to all your questions!

Thanks,
    Eric Pierni
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    epierni@ebay.ca
    www.eBay.ca

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Without digging through your info looking for this, a question arises.
    Can we promote both of them on our site?

I had given up promoting the com with the odd straggle banner left up. Last two days 2 new (and only ones since I registed a year back)users and leads showing. I had not given much hope and have replaced he banners as I came across them. Was this new activety due in part to their promised changes maybe???, I don't know, but....
    I may look into putting more stuff up as my mall site I want to implement some canadian merchants. This is why I would like to know if com and ca can be used together.
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Hi Eric --

It appears as though an affiliate will get $4 if someone from outside of the US signs up for eBay.ca. Does that mean that if someone from the US signs up, the affiliate doesn't get the $4? Do you know what happens if someone from Canada signs up for eBay.com via their affiliate program?

Thanks,

Ralph Slate
    http://www.hockeydb.com

Hi walleye warrior -

Its great to hear that 2 new leads showed up with only the 'straggle banners' running on your site. I am not sure what changes you were referring to. However, in contrast to most retail merchants...January & February are eBay's biggest months. We have tons of merchants unloading excess holiday inventory and people register to take advantage of the great deals. YES!...with regards to promoting both programs...we definitely encourage it. Please let me know if you need any help.

Hi Ralph -

Great question. I do not at present have the answer to your last question about the .com program. As for the eBay.ca, we only reward commissions to affiliate partners who bring on new users that are based in Canada or any country outside the present eBay network of countries. I will look into exactly what the .com program does and can email you if you'd like.

Please keep the questions coming.

Thanks,
    Eric Pierni
    epierni@eBay.ca
    www.eBay.ca

Hi Ralph -

I forgot to mention that we have been auctioning off some great autographed merchandise for the World Junior Hockey Championship. The eBay.ca auctions have been getting national TV coverage. The auction runs till January 8th and you may want to take advantage. The link IDs for 2 banners in CJ are:

We also just closed up a deal to auction official NHL jerseys from the NHLPA and those auctions will begin in early February.

Thanks,

Eric
    epierni@eBay.ca
    www.eBay.ca

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >As for the eBay.ca, we only reward commissions to
    >affiliate partners who bring on new users that
    >are based in Canada or any country outside the
    >present eBay network of countries.

Hmmmm. So you take new users from any location, butonly PAY for the ones from Canada, and from anywhere BUT USA/UK/Australia/Germany/France/Austria/Switzerland ? Or does it include the Latin American countries with a looser fit into eBay (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina etc)?

If they're good enough for you to keep as users, why don't we get paid?

Where is this in the affiliate agreement?

>I will look into exactly what the .com program
    >does and can email you if you'd like.

Post it here, PLEASE. We'd love to know. Really.

Hi Drewbert -

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is no great response to the question. Each eBay country is run as a seperate business and hence the multiple affiliate partner programs. The thought process behind the original set up was that each affiliate program would attract users from the respective country and that is the case. However, we are in discussion with all eBay countries to work more closely together and to figure out a solution to the question that you raised.

Thanks,
    Eric
    epierni@eBay.ca
    www.eBay.ca

Eric,

I was accepted for eBay.ca - thankyou. I do get a lot of visitors from Canada on my US site, but other than the registration links, do I need to provide specific links for eBay.ca? I remember reading that eBay automatically redirected people to the correct eBay country site, based on their location.

Is this true, or do I need to include separate, specific links for eBay.ca?

Thanks,
    Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Hi Andy -

Thanks for joining the program. Yes, you will need to include separate eBay.ca links. eBay does automatically re-direct people to their appropriate country page during the registration process. However, at present the programs are still run separately. Which means if a Canadian users clicks on the eBay.com links and registers you will most likely NOT get credited. The easiest way to solve this program at present is to simply have separate eBay.ca links.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Eric Pierni
    epierni@eBay.ca

Interesting. If this statement is true:

eBay does automatically re-direct people to their appropriate country page during the registration process.

Then I was given incorrect information by the eBay.com customer support, who said:

You will be paid for this lead.

... when I asked them:

If someone from a non-US country (Canada, for example) clicked on my eBay.com link and then immediately registered for eBay, and then immediately placed a bid, is this considered a "lead" for which I would be paid the $5 referral fee?

I went through my eBay.ca link, and was not redirected to the eBay.com signup page. I didn't try to register though, so I don't know what would happen if I tried to put in a US address.

Either way this is very troubling, because this is nowhere in the signup sheets, and because it uses a hidden technicality to disqualify legitimate leads sent to eBay.

I suspect that the eBay.com redirect took effect in December 2001, when they implemeneted the $5 qualified bidder program instead of the $4 registration program -- that's when I saw my eBay.com signups drop off considerably.

I changed my links to say "if you're from the US, click here, if you're from Canada, click here" in March/April, and saw my eBay revenues (.com and .ca) jump from $20/month to $100/month. I have seen a good response from both the eBay.com and eBay.ca programs -- but the eBay.com program has really skyrocketed since I started using the Editor Kit.

Ralph

Hi Ralph -

During the registration process at a certain point a user is asked for their country of origin. Once they select their country from that drop down menu the registration process is tailored for that country. Regarding the question that you asked about the .com program...the answer you received may well be correct. The .com program is the original program and accepted leads coming from anywhere in the world. It was during the set-up of the other countries such as Canada that they placed limits to leads.

The Editor Kit has been a huge success because 75% of our registrations come from the item listing page. The Editor Kit brings your users only 1 click away from that page. Canada will be launching the kit shortly (February).

Thanks,
    Eric
    epierni@eBay.ca

I wish there was a better solution to this problem. My site gets a healthy dose of both US and Canadian visitors. If the eBay.ca program disregards commssions to people who sign up from the US, and if the eBay.com program disregards commissions to people who sign up from Canada, then I have to choose to use either one Editor Kit or the other (using both wouldn't make much sense).

Either that or I'd have to geotarget somehow, so that Canadians see the eBay.ca ad, and Americans see the eBay.com ad. That seems like a fairly big hassle.

What is the biggest injustice is that eBay as an organization still gets a user; I just don't get credit for having sent them if they don't click on the link that corresponds to their country.

Ralph

And what about the editor kit? If somebody from Canada clicks on a specific listing and wants to bid on an item, but needs to sign up first, and is then redirected to ebay.ca, how do they get to bid at ebay.com on the item that brought them to the site?

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Hi -

I will be contacting the .com program today to get all the details I can regarding their program.

Details coming shortly.

Thanks,
    Eric
    epierni@eBay.ca
    www.eBay.ca

Hi -

For all that are still interested. I will be speaking with members of the .com team and will placing the details here on ABW.

Thanks,
    Eric Pierni
    epierni@ebay.ca

I, for one, am very interested in this. I've been trying to discover these answers for months.

Ralph

Hi Ralph -

The call is being scheduled for this week. I am looking very forward to giving you all the information.

Thanks,
    Eric

Hi Eric --

Any word on this? I'm curious to know the answer.

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    i have all ebay links on my site, fo all 4 countries, and in dec, i must have made $500 in leads on ebay.com. a few from ebay.co.uk, but i made not one on ebau.com.au or ebay.ca

makes me wonder if something is a bit funny!! as i get lots of clicks on my amazon.ca links etc
    so ebay.ca is not worth it for me!

Hi Tamalyn -

Please email me directly at affiliatesmanager@eBay.ca. I will personally take a look at your account/website and try to understand what is taking place.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Thanks,
    Eric

Eric,

Please check your PMs

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread