Hostgator Worst Affiliate Program Ever!
    I have done a lot of reading on Hostgator recently over the last weeks or so. Even on abestweb.com states people are upset with them, but I want to share my experience. I run one of the top web hosting review sites and have a lot of contacts that certainly agree with me too.

Hostgator reverses our sales like crazy! Of 35 sales now 29 have been reversed. I can pretty much count on all my sales or 85% of them getting voided. Something is certainly going on with their affiliate program. Their competing hosting companies never do this to me and I really felt let down once I started bringing them sales.

I have contacted them over and over again and just get a long list of reasons why my sales were reversed. See below for a list of excuses:

ID Action_ID Reason
    1237819212 305338 - Package Inactive
    1235398650 305338 - Package Inactive
    1234247584 305338 - Package Inactive
    1232867702 305338 - This customer's DNS is not pointed at our name servers
    1231122253 305338 - This customer's DNS is not pointed at our name servers
    1228006964 305338 - Package Inactive
    1217326986 305338 - This package was cancelled
    1215624575 305338 - This package was cancelled
    1212678962 305338 - This package was cancelled
    1211230766 305338 - This package was suspended due to non-payment

Don't get me wrong I do host with them, but really considering just canning them because of all this ethical crap going on with them. I know they are a huge company, but think about it if they are doing this to me and everyone else they are seriously committing fraud.

I have contacted them 4 times over the last two week and asked for someone to just call me so we can figure out is going on. They will not answer my questions or contact me at all (except through their support ticket).

I would like to test out their fraud going on so please PM me if you want to buy it through my affiliate link. I know of one that was reversed in which I did a site for a client. Reversed because package was inactive?

Something needs to done about this. Learn from me and promote web hosting that actually pays you NOT Hostgator.

Oh yeah Hostgator stop telling me to bring you more business and expect the same results!

I guess it is my word against theirs so what can I do?
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

Yeah, doing a search for 'Hostgator affiliate ripoff'. Finds page after page of results - people having the same opinion as you do.

my advise, for what it's worth - move your hosting account and cancel them as a merchant in your portfolio. that is what i finally did a few years back. they phoned me when i cancelled my webhosting account and i told them why - all i got was a brief "really, ok well then goodbye". more's the pity because, admittedly, they do have one of the best hosting panels and good support.

Yeah it is a shame and I wish I wouldn't have spent 3-4 months getting ranked for "hostgator review" (second on Google) and "hostgator reviews" (first on Google) only to be taken advantage of.

Won't be moving them to not recommended or anything. I will be squeezing people away from them on my review page, though. It is a shame that a good company doesn't care about their affiliates. Maybe the affiliate manager should be voted out of office.
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93350 View Post
    Maybe the affiliate manager should be voted out of office.
    If only affiliates had that right. Guess we need a constitutional amendment.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Yeah, will probably be spreading my two cents around about their affiliate program for what its worth. They have taken thousands from me . I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up like I did and so many others before me.

getting ranked for "hostgator review" (second on Google) and "hostgator reviews" (first on Google)
    Great opportunity to promote another host with a better deal

yeah teezone, I have already adjusted my hostgator review. If you click on my hosting site in sig and click on hostgator review you will see how I suggest others . Any more advice on how to minimize people from clicking on Hostgator would be appreciated.

This is really unfortunate because hostgator carries such brand weight and really are a good hosting company despite the bad affiliate relationships...

Not only Hostgator deceive/fraud their Affiliates check out this post:

They are also cheap for their employees. Also I have been talking to Sandra (Aka Googlelady) and she told me that even the owner/admin has been sending emails to her to treat her with lawsuits, etc because of this post... But she can't confirm that those emails are really from him.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; October 30th, 2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Removed link - new members cannot post links in their post.

Can you update us on which web hosting program is better than others ( I understand they are all bad) I am thinking of buying a site in that market and have been doing some research and came across this.

Hostgator alternatives
    Quote Originally Posted by Guaji View Post
    Not only Hostgator deceive/fraud their Affiliates check out this post:

They are also cheap for their employees. Also I have been talking to Sandra (Aka Googlelady) and she told me that even the owner/admin has been sending emails to her to treat her with lawsuits, etc because of this post... But she can't confirm that those emails are really from him.
    Wow - I currently use Hostgator to host at least 5 sites. If they operate like this then is there any honest hosting company out there that people recommend for both hosting and acting as an affiliate for?

As other have said here Hostgators panels are great and easy to use and follow but if this is how they treat people who drive business to them then I am out of there

Hostgator is a legitimate company. They always pay me for valid sign ups.

The cancellation rate is high. That is a fact

Reasons for that ( what I think) are

1) Hostgator allows monthly payment
    2) First month for a penny coupon is available

Many people exploit these features

You can easily prove if you have a valid sign up
    go to allwhois.com

put the domain and search

You get full details including DNS details

If the site is still hosted with hostgator, the DNS will be something like

NSxxx.HOSTGATOR.COM

If you find that the domain is hosted with hostgator, then contact them.

There is a separate segment in this forum for hostgator (but not very active)

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/hostg...fo-144149.html

You can find contact details of Taylor Hawes, Affiliate manager. He is very supportive

Please contact him before taking your final decision.

Regards
    Nikhil
    If the hosting account is not renewed, it will be redirected to the "suspended page"
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; November 6th, 2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Newbies are not allowed to add links to their posts

My two cents: Hostgator's AM has been almost completely unresponsive to me. I have a client i referred directly to them to sign up and they will not credit me the commission. here is the email exchange i had with their AM about it:

a year ago on 9/9/10 i submitted the following ticket
    Hello,

I have a question. Why was the following commission marked as invalid? This is the first I noticed it, when I discovered going through my paypal history today that it had never been paid.

2010-03-16 xxxxxxxxxxx.com Overdue Invalid
    then i guess i must have forgotten about it as i never got a response back. I noticed the unpaid commission in my control panel about a year later, and wrote back again, on 10/1/11 ...

Hello,

Was this ever resolved? I don't have a record of a response in my inbox (though its possible I could have deleted it) and i also checked my PayPal history and it does not show any received payment from Hostgator within three months of this email.

I just logged in to my account, and the referral that I wrote about in the last email, now shows this status:

Date Sent Domain Name Referer Status Paid
    2010-03-16 xxxxxxxxxxx.com Active Pending
    then a couple days later i finally got a reply from the AM, on 10/3/11

Hello Michael,

It appears that this referral was ineligible for commission at the time of it's payout due to failing our verification checks that we have in place. I appreciate your understanding. This referral will be rechecked, however, this week with our next verification check. Thank you.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Adam Bravman
    Affiliate Manager
    to which I then responded,

well if you need verification I'll have the referral contact you directly as he is a client of mine who i referred directly. I built his website and I referred him to use Hostgator hosting. (for reference - [provided link to my site where client appears] )

I have another new client at the present who will need hosting which is why i logged in to my account to grab my affiliate link and that is when i noticed the old pending commission. I'm a loyal Hostgator customer myself and i like to refer all my clients to you as i know i can stand by the recommendation, but that's something i might have to reconsider if I'm not going to be credited for the sales.
    no response. so a month later, on 11/3/11, i inquired again ...

Hi Adam, Any word one this? Have you looked into it yet? Did you receive my previous response?

thanks
    still no response back. looks like they don't care

Hostgator alternatives
    Quote Originally Posted by Domains View Post
    My two cents: Hostgator's AM has been almost completely unresponsive to me. I have a client i referred directly to them to sign up and they will not credit me the commission. here is the email exchange i had with their AM about it:

a year ago on 9/9/10 i submitted the following ticket

then i guess i must have forgotten about it as i never got a response back. I noticed the unpaid commission in my control panel about a year later, and wrote back again, on 10/1/11 ...

then a couple days later i finally got a reply from the AM, on 10/3/11

to which I then responded,

no response. so a month later, on 11/3/11, i inquired again ...

still no response back. looks like they don't care
    I am really sorry to hear of your treatment by Hostgator. I have yet to earn any commission so I cannot comment on that side, but your issues may very well add to me making a decision to shift my hosting elsewhere.

Issue there though who is HONEST and RELIABLE these days, if they are where do you find them?

I found a couple that I trust, but it was through trial and error.

In general, it's been my experience that the hosts that offer the largest commissions are the least likely to pay, whereas there are a few of the mid-sized hosts that offer less but pay more faithfully.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

wow, didn't Hostgator would do that, thinking of not promoting them anymore :P

Quote Originally Posted by nzcid View Post
    Wow - I currently use Hostgator to host at least 5 sites. If they operate like this then is there any honest hosting company out there that people recommend for both hosting and acting as an affiliate for?

As other have said here Hostgators panels are great and easy to use and follow but if this is how they treat people who drive business to them then I am out of there
    I have used Hostgator for over 4 years. And I have never had a problem with them. How can a company do such a great job on the customer service side. And yet have such a crappy affiliate program?

In nearly four years I have NEVER experienced a problem with Hostgator's affiliate program. While I don't refer "many" sales, I do refer several a year for clients with whom I've worked.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread