ABW Ambassador
    Groupon Annoying Local Businesses
    This is not surprising as I have noticed they are very aggressive in their marketing and similar to the "take over the world" thinking of Google. Reading the news today I see Groupon are accused of pushing out local business and even spamming.

"They're spamming Google, throwing out all of these search terms that they have nothing to do with, paying more and crowding out other advertisers so they can suck more people into their Groupon world," said Steven Williams, an attorney representing San Francisco Comprehensive Tours.
    full story:

Daily Deal frenzy jolts local online ad market | Reuters
    Last edited by glittered; October 10th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I saw this years ago with trademarks I managed affiliate programs for. Would see Mcafee, Norton and eBay as the last ad which had nothing to do with ladders, treadmills or rug cleaners. It turns out they were just purchasing remnant inventory for pennies per click for their own branding. In the case of the article it sounds like they were bidding on anything just to get more branding.

3. Thanks From:

I had to filter them out of my Adsense account so that relevant ads could be served on my websites. Hogs.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    I will have to filter them out from my adsense too, that might be part of the reason for lower earnings lately ...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

6. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I thought it was strange that I would still see Groupon ads when I visited my own pages. I then realized they were showing groupon.com.au as well. So you also need to ad particular country urls if you target other countries that Groupon do this. I have found generally my adsense has picked up considerably since I filtered out Groupon.

8. Thanks From:

Groupon will be broke in 2 years.....I can't believe Google followed the business model....They will also discontinue the business model. Its a Fad!

Reason:
    Just like democrats, sooner or later they will run out of others people money....Not the buyers but rather the businesses they count on to run there business.

I think that's a standard business practice of the 2010's. Hop onto a fad or bandwagon, milk it and get rich while you can, then find another one. There's always another fad around the corner. Seems to work well for the top dogs, CEO's, etc.
    The peons?, well they'll just have to find another job.

ABW Ambassador
    I see now that Groupon Google ads now sit at the top and are disguised as actually search results. No longer do we see them sit over to the right but are now cleverly disguised to mislead the public that these are actually real search results. It's very crafty of Google who have used their search dominance to dictate to the public how we now have paid ads disguised as real results and cunning of Groupon to work with Google on this deceptive practice.

groupon will be a disaster in the market, their aggressive is bases on low price and try best to cost down from supplier, yet factory also need cash to get the lasting development, if the factory always keep tiny profit and don't have source on money, then it will be a deal pool....then where comes the groupon's aggresive ?

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22 View Post
    ... Just like democrats, sooner or later they will run out of others people money....
    As a Democrat I am offended by this totally unwarranted, totally false political jab.

As far as I know, these forums are still supposed to be about affiliate marketing -- NOT political jabs and wisecracks.

I would hope the moderators would take note.

Thank you.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by man2012 View Post
    I have found generally my adsense has picked up considerably since I filtered out Groupon.
    Me, too.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; December 10th, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Me, too.
    great, yes it makes a difference.

Have any of you been solicited by Groupon on the phone? I get called by them every couple of months asking if I want to work a deal with them from one of my websites. I always tell them that I don't actually have my own products and that I do essentially what they do. For some reason the people that call me from there can't seem to understand what affiliate marketing is.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread